Skip to main content

Perkins Phaser 180ti tacho drive

More
7 years 8 months ago #172751 by Kwakatriple
So I am putting a Perkins Phaser 180ti into my 1964 Bedford bus but there is no obvious tacho drive on the motor. I pulled the cover off that exposes the end of the injector pump drive thinking I would swap the drive off the old 6354 but discovered it is all different and it turns in the opposite direction so that is clearly not going to work.

Can anyone tell me where the tacho drive should be on the 180 and perhaps even give me a pic of what it looks like?

Thanks in advance

1964 Bedford bus/motorhome
1972 Bedford bus/motorhome
...and sundry other 2, 3 and 4 wheel vehicles...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #172757 by overnite

Kwakatriple wrote: So I am putting a Perkins Phaser 180ti into my 1964 Bedford bus but there is no obvious tacho drive on the motor. I pulled the cover off that exposes the end of the injector pump drive thinking I would swap the drive off the old 6354 but discovered it is all different and it turns in the opposite direction so that is clearly not going to work.

Can anyone tell me where the tacho drive should be on the 180 and perhaps even give me a pic of what it looks like?

Thanks in advance

Maybe electrical off the back of the alternator?
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by overnite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwakatriple

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #172758 by busman
When the original tachograph on VP failed I fitted a VDO cockpit series one, hooked to an alternator wire, easy to setup with the instructions. It is also easy to calibrate via a push button on the back, you just need to have a hand held or similar that can give you a number, then set the VDO to that. Worked a treat until I got the tachograph repaired.

manual : docs.google.com/document/d/1wFngKVZAkvXs...WN95ndqThBWV5IM/edit

about $150 on ebay

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by busman.

More
7 years 8 months ago #172759 by wedgetail84
does stuff this late ever have mechanical tacho drives? I never saw one on my 180 that's for sure and can't find mention in the service manual. Do you have the manual? Can send you a PDF if not...

More
7 years 8 months ago #172841 by Kwakatriple
Thanks very much wedgetail84 that would be fantastic. I will send you a PM.

More
7 years 7 months ago #173958 by invested energy
I'd be interested to know what the mechanical drive stuff looks like for your old Porkins. I'm about to put a 6354T back into my AB130 and I'd like to fit a mechanical tacho that's come to light at a recent swap meet. While I already have an electric one that uses an alternator input, the mechanical one is a factory(?) international unit that matches the rest of the VDO stuff in a C series instrument set.
I'd like to fit all the gauges with the chrome rings and the scale etched onto the back of the lens... but perhaps I'll have to canibalise the electric movement and put it into the mechanical case...? Electric ones are simpler of course...

Cheers

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

More
7 years 7 months ago #173973 by Lang

More
7 years 6 months ago #174017 by Kwakatriple
I'll get some pics of mine and post them here soon.

Cheers

More
7 years 6 months ago #174082 by Kwakatriple
OK I have tried several times to post some pics here but they just disappear each time! Can someone give me a tip on how to do it successfully please?

More
7 years 6 months ago #174085 by Mrsmackpaul
I have been told that happens when the picture is to big, I swear at the computer but it dosnt really help and I dunno how to resize them so I still use the old photo bucket thing for pictures that are to big and even that can frustrate me at times so maybe a flicker or photo bucket or something like that ????

seeya
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds