Skip to main content

Gearstick changer for a Commer 6 speed box

More
7 years 7 months ago #174078 by Dazza1949
I have a forward control D3F Dodge with a Perkins and a Commer Box. The gears are changed via a remote linkage.....I am thinking of fitting the motor/gearbox combo into a 1959 normal control Dodge. My question is....can I get a gearsick that goes onto/into the top of the gearbox.and if so where. The reason for my request is that if I go ahead with this project the gearbox will end up under the cab and not behind it as in the D3F.

The above photos show the gearbox and linkage in the D3F
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #174195 by Kwakatriple
Mmmm wishing you had popped up on my horizon a bit earlier!!

I have what I believe to be a Commer 6 speed gearbox that I could not use because the gear lever would have come up through a chassis cross member. I did not even think there might be a remote linkage for it and would have certainly considered a swap if that had suited you too.

So, while I can't help you with a gear lever at least I can let you know that there is such a thing.

All of this of course assumes our two boxes are the same. I can't really see much of yours to be certain of that though. If you could post another pic of the rear of the box that would help.

Cheers

1964 Bedford bus/motorhome
1972 Bedford bus/motorhome
...and sundry other 2, 3 and 4 wheel vehicles...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dazza1949

More
7 years 7 months ago #174197 by Dazza1949
Thank you Kwaka, you've made my day. I've just got to find one now. I'm heading to Perth for the football and will take some photos of my gearbox when I get back next Saturday.
PS. I like your choice of bike too
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwakatriple

More
7 years 6 months ago #175086 by Dazza1949
First of all apologies to Kwaka.....I haven't been able to get any pictures from under the truck. I'm in Kyneton and we've had 10 inches of rain in the last 30 days and it's very wet under the truck.
I have been told by Prices in Dalby that there is a gearlever top for these gearboxes and the gear lever changer for the 5 speed and the 6 speed are interchangeable......Prices said some of these gearboxes were fitted to some DN5's
Prices don't have one......would anyone on the Forum have one or know where I could get one.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175733 by Kwakatriple
Dazza, are you still after a gear lever top for your box? I might have an idea...

More
7 years 5 months ago #175735 by Dazza1949
I got one last week, will post a picture soon. Thanks for thinking of me and what is your idea.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175755 by Dazza1949

These are photos of a top cover gear selcctor I got for my 6 speed o/drive gear box that I plan to install in my 1960 Dodge Truck. I am hoping all I'll need to do is to do is weld a gear stick onto the top of the selector lever coming out of the top.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I won't be doing anything till after summer as I'm using my donor truck to cart water if I run out.
For Kwakkatriple......if all my plans work out, you have first refusal on the current side selector cover, should you need it.
Attachments:

More
7 years 5 months ago #175835 by Kwakatriple
Fantastic Dazza. Glad you got one. My idea involved a bit of swapping around with the one I have at home and another one I have come across but the fact that you have one is much easier.
I am definitely keen to do a deal on your side selector cover tho.
cheers

More
7 years 5 months ago #175890 by Dazza1949
Kwakatriple, you definitely have first refusal on my side changer but it won't be available for at least 6 months. I obtained my top changer from Aussie Eds World of Old Trucks for $150.00 plus post. I never asked Ed if he had a side shifter but I'd be most surprised if he didn't. It might be faster for you to contact him and see if he can help. Email aussieed@bigpond.com or phone 0419 632 853. Ed's very helpful.
If this doesn't help there is a guy on eBay that is wrecking a D3F and he would have one. I don't know how to put a link up but happy to contact him on your behalf if Ed can't help.
Also could you please put up some photos of you top changer if it's not identical to mine

More
7 years 4 months ago #177231 by Kwakatriple
Cheers Dazz. My top shifter is the same as yours and yes, weld a stick on it and bolt it on and you will be all good.
I will see how I go - might chase up Eds but my project has slowed down a bit so will just see how it goes for now.

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds