Skip to main content

Old trucks

More
8 years 4 months ago #164422 by overnite
Both 51 and 52 seem to have parking lights under the headlights. The Coke one doesn't seem to have any.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164431 by Dave_64
Hi Fellows,
Just on that grille reference chart posted , a word of caution when trying to pin down year models.
A few years ago I had the devils own job identifying what eventually turned out to be a 1968 F350. I was sent that same chart by a bloke on a Ford forum who swore it was the Gospel according to Henry (Ford). It was pointed out by a few others that year models can even be confusing over there,as at the time a new model was released to coincide with the car show "season".
Also, we seemed to lag behind overseas models by anything up to 12-18 months in some cases. When the F-trucks were being assembled from CKD components in Broadmeadows, sometimes if there were delays, another upgrade, sometimes only minor, may have already been put in effect in the States. So, theoretically, an F truck driven out the Ford gate here, may be ""last years model" over there. That and throw in Australian manufacturers penchant for using up old stock at hand (VK Commodore for example), or as what happened in my case, only the grille had been changed from one model to the next. And then if someone decides that a later model grille looks better, they may throw one in. Without build plates it's a nightmare sometimes, I had one!
The other thing is were there any differences in regulations, even from state to state in the early fifties? Was there an Oz wide "standard" regulation covering things like parking or clearance lights? It would not surprise me at least, if there weren't, look at how long it has taken to pull the transport industry together country-wide, and there are STILL discrepancies!
Just my two bobs worth, Cheers
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
8 years 4 months ago #164433 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Old trucks
There is an excellent history of Ford trucks through many decades online. The 1950s years are covered at auto.howstuffworks.com/1950-1959-ford-trucks.htm , particularly p2 for 1951.
Roderick

More
8 years 4 months ago #164532 by Roderick Smith
The photo is 35 years old. The bonneted Saurer is clearly older. I can't guess the make of the other, but it is also more than 35 years old, and may well be another Saurer. There was a thread recently about Saurer trucks in Australia.
800119Sa Croy-Romainmotier (Switzerland): Postbuses (Saurer lhs, unidentified rhs). R Smith.

Roderick

[img

More
8 years 4 months ago #164539 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Old trucks
Interesting the wiper arms on both Buses come out through the windscreen glass.

No idea what the right hand one is.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164541 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Old trucks
Pretty sure the right hand bus is an FBW

More
8 years 4 months ago #164550 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Old trucks
one is RHD the other is LHD

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 4 months ago #164551 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Old trucks

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 4 months ago #164557 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Old trucks
This one is 'Lady Gail',a 1958 Commer Corinthian coach with a Rootes TS3 engine, it lives here on the Isle of Wight.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164576 by Thunder Down Under
Replied by Thunder Down Under on topic Old trucks

oldgmc wrote: one is RHD the other is LHD

I believe RHD was on the buses that had to climb high mountain passes. The driver could then see how close he was to the edge. :woohoo: Same in Italy, a lot of trucks were also RHD.

TDU

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds