Skip to main content

simons v12 cabovers

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #166867 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic simons v12 cabovers
If the speed limit is 100 them Symon beasties would B a road block on single lane hwys
not too bad ifn U use the down hills to your advantage n keep the momentum go n
but ifn the hitn the bottom a hill @ 90 = not using the situation 2 u're advantage
would probly make fir sum angst from any trucks @ the rear

Butt
EyeDoSt&2BCorrected

Q:? Duz he run 'V'Busses :lol:

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Swishy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166872 by defective
Replied by defective on topic simons v12 cabovers
...they've had plenty of Volvo's over the years Swish...served 'em very well too from all accounts :P :P

More
8 years 2 months ago #166874 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic simons v12 cabovers
As you all would know by now Im just a farmer who happens to drive the odd truck as far as I know still today road train speed limit NSW QLD and NT is 90kmh dunno about WA never driven one over there to worry about it so 90 kmh would be fine even in Mrs Mack sitting on 85-90 I only ever get over taken by singles so I dont think the speed limit is a problem

And if people can remeber back to all the fuel economy trails in the late 70's fuel economy turns to crap when you go above 80kmh and when you go above 100 well it really turns to poo

And a tad more useless information I dunno when the speed limit increased in Vic Nsw and Qld I reckon late 70's early 80's the speed limit was still only 80 in these states for trucks so it would make sense to order a truck that only does 90 kmh

anyway back to the farm work Paul

seeya

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 2 months ago #166879 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic simons v12 cabovers
Question: would a big engine with small injectors make for a longer lasting engine? They're governed, so you can't rev the crap out of it to make up for lower power, right?

Just curious.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 2 months ago #166882 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic simons v12 cabovers
A big engine with little squirters will make the same power as a little engine with big squirters, but with less effort, making for a longer lasting and more reliable engine.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166883 by defective
Replied by defective on topic simons v12 cabovers
...it all comes down to Piston Feet per Minute, and the compressibility of that effort.....it will equate to the life of ANY engine within those parameters.....

More
8 years 2 months ago #166896 by twin stack pete
Replied by twin stack pete on topic simons v12 cabovers
Well,seriously in 1973 when these things were new. The work they were doing,and the so called roads they were travelling on,if you could get over 70 kph for any amount of time,you were doing well!I don't know why people like to bring up maximum road speeds when the company's mentioned.not everyone ran flat out on the hume highway,fuel consumption means nothing to some operators.for some light reading,try reading the microfiche on these trucks.they were ordered the Morgan Simon way.his trucks,his money!

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #166898 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic simons v12 cabovers

rex wrote: Hello hayseed
Morgan Simon was a very very smart operator, 90 km per hour happens to be the cut off point between operating costs for the machine V's time. The basic understanding can often be augured cost per hour for the machine or the cost per hour for the driver, drive faster save on wages or drive slower save on the gear.
Like i said earlier Morgan simon was a very smart operator, you take it easy and you win on both counts driver first not being pushed to meet a ETA, truck second still in one piece and ready for the next job.
But as my mate Swishy say's Wot would I know (is that how he say's it ?)
Rex

I agree with you Rex,
i was just trying to make the point that Simons have always done things "their way" & have being very successful by doing so..

Two other successful Companies who do things 'their way' are; John L Pierce & Mills Transport.It's sad to see all the Mills gear being auctioned tomorrow & Friday after 91 years in Business.

But that's probably better left to another thread..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by hayseed.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166912 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic simons v12 cabovers
Speed limit for road trains in WA is 100, same as other trucks or anything towing a trailer
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
8 years 1 month ago #167302 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic simons v12 cabovers
There is a video getting around which shows a little Dodge (with a V6 53) with a similar (actually 13 with one over the cab) load of cars (2 trailers) - but all singlle axle - prime mover, dolly and trailers - running up the centre in the ear;y 1970's. Point being - the load shown in this photo (V12) wasnt required to do such a small job.

Granted he would have got there a lot quicker than the litttle Dodge - but otherwise just gives a comparison of how truck 'power' evolved back in those days.

Hope that makes sense.

Oldfulla

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds