Skip to main content

Historic rego concerns

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #164527 by create
I'm looking at buying a 1985 Ford Louisville and put it on historic rego. I'm concerned as it has a blue mod plate under the bonnet for a chassis extension. Is this allowed under NSW historic rego?

1966 Ford K700 ~ 5.4L Diesel
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by create.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164540 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Historic rego concerns
Don't take this as Gospel.

As best I understand, it wouldn't fit the current Historic Rego in NSW.

It should fit the 60 day modified vehicle Scheme being discussed at the moment.

Best option is go to the RMS (or whatever they are called today) Website and see if you can make sense of it.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #164555 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Historic rego concerns
For cars, it is generally accepted that no chassis/mechanical mods are allowed. They are a bit more lenient with commercials, and will usually accept mods that are in keeping with the era of the vehicle. An approved chassis extension should not cause any concern if no other major changes were involved.

It is up to the club you register through to sign off that the vehicle complies with the guidelines, so talk to the club registrars and convince them you are genuine.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Beaver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Yeti

More
8 years 4 months ago #164769 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Historic rego concerns
As Beaver said it is up to your club to adjudicate on eligibility for the historic scheme. As a general principle, truck clubs will accept modifications which were made in the historic period ie 30 or more years ago. Car clubs have no understanding that modifying heavy trucks was a normal process and are hence likely to have a harder attitude towards eligibility.
As far as the upcoming modified classic scheme goes they are still making up the rules but I have it from people who sit on the committees with RMS that vehicles over 3.5 tonne gvm will be locked out.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164776 by HARDSHAR
Replied by HARDSHAR on topic Historic rego concerns
I agree with both beaver and mammoth. You would have no trouble with rego in a truck club as they understand how trucks were changed for all sorts of jobs. From rigid to semi or semi to rigid or different motors, gear boxes or diffs all these things were done to suit the job the truck had to do. Provided the parts are all 30 years old or more no problems. As for the new rego scheme in nsw mammoth is right in saying they are making up the rules on the run. Our truck and tractor club has decided not to join the log book trial but to sit back and wait to see how things go. When a government dept. wants to give you something for nothing that looks to good to be true, be wary it usually is.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164835 by Beaver
I would think that a 30 year old truck with a 15 year old engine transplant would be acceptable. As long as the vehicle was kept within its original specification "envelope".

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #164837 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic Historic rego concerns
Re the historic rego scheme in NSW. For some reason there are a lot of people who think they have some role in devising the rules for the log book scheme, the CMC NSW being the worst offender. Let me guarantee to you that the scheme has been well thought out and the belief that things are being done on the run are not true. Before the historic logbook scheme was started the CMC 'thought' they had people devising rules and assured all the associated car clubs that nothing would happen until at least the new year, possibly not until April 2016. I had different info from 'the' source that everything was good and that it would go ahead October 1. As a result I put my paper work in and had my log book October 2. The look of astonishment at the next club meeting was quite humorous. I have my own opinions on the guy running the CMC and I don't believe he is for this scheme, I wont discuss that any further and let people draw their own thoughts as to what that may mean for the incorrect information that has been circulating. Funnily enough the Bush Council, the 'competitor' if you will to the CMC had the correct info and is run by people who are for the scheme. Duncan Gay is genuinely interested in cars and has good people around him with the same passion, the notion that he would need to out source the writing of rules to some random club official is quite laughable.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by fjwb.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #164972 by Beaver
This was the CMC stance on the log book scheme a year or so back:

www.councilofmotorclubs.org.au/images/cm...-Log-Book-Scheme.pdf

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Beaver.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164975 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Historic rego concerns
Anyone who signs a letter with the Post Nominal of OAM has their head somewhere the sun doesn't shine.

I've been involved with Car Clubs and historic car Insurance for the last 40 years and that was one group we could never get along with.

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds