Skip to main content

Dodge/Fargo engines in light trucks

More
7 years 5 months ago #175467 by Dave_64
Just a few more dumbass questions, came across a bit about an old Fargo (Dodge?), single wheel van body, had a flathead six and 3 speed on the tree transmission. Can't say exactly what year, but shape was similar to the Power Giant, so obviously pre AT4 Dodge shape. Got me to wondering just when did Chrysler go to the OHV six cylinder engine? Can recall a mates father had a Chrysler "Wayfarer" ute, think around the 1959/60 era and it still had the flathead six in it.
Have seen a few appear at different times on this forum, but most seem to be a bit earlier. So, when it came to the light trucks, were the AT4's the first to use the OHV slant six?
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175469 by Mrsmackpaul
at a guess when the Valiant first appeared with the slant 6

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #175475 by Lang
I think Mrsmack is right.

The last of the flat six Dodge/Chrysler line was the Chrysler Royal (also available in 318 V8) and Dodge Wayfarer of around 1959. The trucks followed suit with flat six (KEW long block Motors) and V8 on offer. Some trucks, mainly the Fargo badged models kept the 1940's 230 short block right into the 50's. The universal slant 6 was introduced across the board with the Valiant's appearance. The trucks of course also offered the 318 and 360 V8.

Dodge Power Wagons and their military cousins the M37 kept the flat six until 1968 but these vehicles were rare in Australia.

Lang
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, towball

More
7 years 5 months ago #175487 by asw120
318, or 313? I wonder when the changeover was.
I had a VC Regal 8 Safari in which the engine had no oil filter (or drillings for same). The previous owner said it was a 273 from a Dodge truck.
Does anyone know if the 273 was actually offered in the trucks?

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 5 months ago #175488 by 600Dodge
No truck 273s, 313 available in early AT4 before the change to the LA series 318.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, asw120, towball

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #176509 by Geekay
Hi Dave, the "old Fargo (Dodge?), single wheel van body, had a flathead six and 3 speed on the tree transmission"

Is it anything like my 53 Fargo van?
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Geekay. Reason: move photo

More
7 years 4 months ago #176525 by Rob W
In Australia Chrysler Aust' used the side valve six 250 ci in the Chrysler Royal from 1957 t0 '61/2 having stopped using the smaller 230 ci motor in the last of the AP2 Royals about '60. These motors were used in the Australian built Dodge, Plymouth & De Soto passenger vehicles from 1954 with the 250 ci motor in commercials. The 228 ci SV motor was last used in the '53 models.?

The V8's used were the 302 ci late '57 -59 AP1 through to the AP2 & then the 313 ci in the Chrysler Royal AP3 1961 until production ceased in '63. The last of the Royals were only sold with the 313 V8. The last new Royal sold was in May 1965, 2 years after production finished.

The 318 was sold in the Dodge Phoenix from about 1960 on wards & then availabe in the larger AT4 truck range.

The 313 V8 was available in the Dodge AT4 4 ? trucks until about the late 60's.

The side valve 6 motor was sold well into the 60's as industrial motors & for agricultural devices such as headers.

In Australia the 225 ci slant six motor was released when the AT4 trucks came out about '61? & the R Series Valiant when it was first sold here in Jan 62.

Dodge AT4-7D Series Model 775, 1971 VH Valiant Ute,

More
7 years 4 months ago #176526 by Rob W
In Australia the 273 V8 was only available in the AP6 & VC Regals and all VE Valiant models, never in the AT4 commercials.

The petrol V8's in the larger AT4s were 313, 318 & 361.

Dodge AT4-7D Series Model 775, 1971 VH Valiant Ute,

More
7 years 4 months ago #176543 by Dave_64
Geekay,
Yep! That looks like the same, except the other one didn't have the windows in the side, straight metal panels.
Chunky looking old jigger, looks like you could hold a barn dance in the back!
Dave_64

More
7 years 4 months ago #176586 by Geekay
Yeah, very roomy.
Mine belong to a professional fisherman of the Murray River who lived in Mulwala/Yarrawonga.

Where was the van ans was it for sale?

They are not common.

Time to create page: 0.610 seconds