HomeHelpSearchLogin

Pages: 1 
Bazz's Bitza (Read 11061 times)
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Bazz's Bitza
28.06.2011 at 15:24:20

Kirky and a couple of others have asked about the bitza. Why, what for etc….mostly cos I can but the following might give you some insight into the project.
I like the old trucks but I also have abit of a passion for old style hot rods so thinking awhile back it’d be different to combine both passions into the one. Cool Cool Preferably an old looking truck with relatively modern running gear to pull my trailer carting old bangers around to shows. Something  abit unique with a heap of grunt. Deb and I were sitting around the fire at the shed one arvo with some bundies gazeing out at all the crap in the yard and she commented about the amount of it………. it dawned on me.  I have the front clip off a GMC 630, a 48 split windscreen chev cab and a LKT Scania rolling chassis in the yard so out with the measuring tape.
The GMC and Chev cabs for the era are the same so that all works. The Scania rad fits inside the GMC nose cone no problems so body wise I just have to add 350mm into the bonnet.
More ars than good design the scania cab tilt rams are perfectly positioned to tilt the front. Even more arsy is the dimension from the front of the rad with the GMC nose cone to the scania front axle puts the GMC mudguards on axle center so the front clip all lines up Wink.
Ive picked up an air ride single drive backend with a 25000lb 3.9 Meritor diff in it so i just about have all the heavy hardware sorted.
With air on the back and the big long scania front springs it should ride nice.
Just the gearbox to workout now. I have an RTO 12513 I can use or do I find and old school set up for it to keep going with the theme. Old 14 speed Spicer or 4 x 4 with the two sticks, something like that. Im chasing a 100@ around 1500 – 1600 so I need a .81 or there abouts overdrive box. A couple of fella’s a lot wiser than me reckon the spicer 14 speed is crap, spoiler I think they called them. I sort of like the nostalgia idea of two box’s also. Im welcome to any other suggestions.
Engineer is happy with it so far although I haven’t touched it for awhile while ive been on the Transtar. He’s agreed I will be able to run with the full Scania GCM which is good as long as I comply with the ADR’s applicable to the Scania. It will have to go on the shaker to prove the cab mounting side of things is good but apart from that it’s a roadworthy inspection. Pretty straight forward.
Steering is all done with out having to make or cut any bits. All bolt together. This took a lot of head scratching as I tried to use the scania steering box originally and it got to hard. In the end it was quiet simple with bits laying around the place I already had.
GMC steering wheel spline is the same as K100 KW shaft so ive used a K100 column and unis etc. a Transtar slip joint and a sheppard box mounted behind axle. Kept drag link the same length and flipped it over 180° and that determined the position for the steering box…adjust cab position to get column and unis right. Done. Make cab mounts. Adjust rad shell to suit cab position.
Had the sheppard arm reamed to suit the metric drag link end.
Scania V8s have only one double v belt pulley for alternator/ air con compressor and that’s it. Everything else is gear drive, fan, power steer pump etc. The scania power steer pump is different pressure and flow than that required for the sheppard so I have to machine an adapter plate to gear drive the Vickers pump.
Scania air clutch is linkage rod to the air gadget and brake valve is mounted in chassis with a linkage rod from pedal so Im using top swing Scania pedals. Shorten both rods 80mm and rethread ends. That easy
Round Scania gauges fit in the two big chev gauge holes in dash.
Electric window kits and air con kit for it I can get from the US. The aircon kit has demister doovas so that fixes one of the ADR rules I have to meet.  I can get a new GMC panel to replace the Chev panel on the dash.

That’s about all I have to report on the project…..purists don’t like it, petrol heads like it…cant please em all but im having fun and enjoying life and that’s what matters eh Smiley

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.
View Profile   IP Logged
Eddy.
MC Licenced
HCVC Member

Waikerie SA

Waikerie SA
Re: Bazz's Bitza
Reply #1 - 28.06.2011 at 15:53:48

Cool git'er done! This I gotta see Grin

Be it firearms, grog or V-8 engines, the question to be asked is not "Why do I need it?"
No, the question is "Who are you to demand that I justify it?"
77 Leyland Terrier V8
View Profile eddy222m   IP Logged
hayseed
Local driver
HCVC Member

Reply #2 - 28.06.2011 at 16:11:22

Sounds Good Bazz.

I'm sure It will be very impressive when finished..

I think it's good job you live in W.A. as I doubt it would be registerable here in N.S.W.

Grenfell 34 or Big cam will know, the rules for over here..
But I think it would have meet ALL ADR's of the year you first register it..

But I will st&2B.............

"Be who you are and say what you feel...

Because those that matter...

don't mind...

And those that mind....

don't matter."
View Profile   IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #3 - 28.06.2011 at 17:02:27

Hi Hayseed,
It comes under the national Standard for heavy vehicle modifications VSB-6. Section K has an applicable cab swap section. It all comes down to question 2.2 "is the replacement cabin compatible with original vehicle"  Engineer ticked yes...it came of a truck and is going on a truck.     Ive been doing it properly and once the engineer has signed off that applicable ADR’s have been met for 85, VSB 6 has been met and good engineering practice has been applied it can be inspected and run on full licence nationally.
Did my homework thoroughly before I even started. Be a drama to build it then get knocked back. Likewise it being registerable in other states. Dont know about NSW or QLD but if its licenced I can drive there. Vic roads are okay with it.
Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
hayseed
Local driver
HCVC Member

Reply #4 - 28.06.2011 at 17:23:33

Thanks Baz.

I'd been thinking about it, & remembered back in the early '90s a bloke from the Sydney/ Camden area (I think)who used to tow a tanker for Aztec/boral built his own cab over cab and put it on his LNT 9000

It was quite a distinctive truck on the N.S.W end of the Hume for most of the '90s. It was then painted Black & carted steel out of Port Kembla . I have no idea were it is now.
But if he can build a whole cab from scratch.You should be right.
I think it's a different ballgame with cars though.

I look foward to seeing it.

PS.As I'm fairly new on here, this may have been discussed before.
Does  IT have a name????
AS someone who gets laugh out of watching reruns of "Fawlty Towers"
Basil wouldn't be complete without

CYBIL Grin Grin Grin

don't mind...

And those that mind....

don't matter."
View Profile   IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #5 - 28.06.2011 at 17:34:21

Swishy started abit of a name the bitza thread awhile ago Cheesy...all sorts came out of that.
Mongrel or crossdresser would suit Cheesy

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 28.06.2011 at 17:35:13

baz geezus ive finnally found  another old hotrodder amongst all the purists an restorers not only that but a old school rodder [ build em with what ya gotin the yard] good stuff mate . as for rego , in nsw it would be a scania i.d tag with a engineers cert  for the cab change  as for the other mods i would  plead ignorance  looks stock scania to me sir  thanks mate we need more pics

IP Logged
hayseed
Local driver
HCVC Member

Reply #7 - 28.06.2011 at 17:46:35

Thanks Grenfell,

I've never had anything to do with VSB 6.

I have however modified/ built a few trailers over the years, So I do have pretty good take on VSB 1.

don't mind...

And those that mind....

don't matter."
View Profile   IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 28.06.2011 at 17:48:42

hayseed the truck you mentioned was owned by a customer of mine years ago Lnt with a 350 - i rebuilt it to400 an then he built that cab over shed for it with a shower an all sorts of junk which he never finished  it was know as the apperision on the hume [ ugly as cancer] no idea what happened to it but ithink it ended up at gleemans , i wouldn,t class  the owner a hotrodder  just a victim of to many driving tablets

IP Logged
Assessor
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 28.06.2011 at 18:00:06

"Kirky says"
it was know as the apperision on the hume [ ugly as cancer]
i wouldn,t class  the owner a hotrodder  just a victim of to many driving tablets Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
hayseed
Local driver
HCVC Member

Reply #10 - 28.06.2011 at 18:00:33

Yeah Grenfell,

I thought as much.. If memory serves me right it had XF/XF ford dash in it, and the front panel was the bonnet off the old falcooon. in fact there was  a lot ofXF/XE parts in it from memory..

don't mind...

And those that mind....

don't matter."
View Profile   IP Logged
bigcam
Administrator
HCVC Member

Briso
Reply #11 - 28.06.2011 at 18:31:53

Hayseed, VSB stands for Vehicle Standards Bulletin. Bung it in Google you can prpbobly down load it for free. One of the engineers who had a big input into it is Kit Bleakly, who by coincidence was the engineer at White Motor Corp.

Baz, it takes me back to watching wha my old man and uncles used to make fit into buses. Funny isn't it, I enjoy driving trucks in general, some I like more than others, and people do up old trucks for different reasons, but I enjoy working on them (if I don't actually have to) and see things coming together, weather it's rebuilding something and see it all getting built back up, or modifying something and figuring out how to make it work and look like it came out of the factory. I'm starting to rave, were is my medication........

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
hayseed
Local driver
HCVC Member

Reply #12 - 28.06.2011 at 18:42:51

Big Cam,

At the risk of being rude!!
Read My post again,
Like I said I've had NOTHING to do with VSB 6..
But I DO know a fair bit about VSB 1..

don't mind...

And those that mind....

don't matter."
View Profile   IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 28.06.2011 at 19:19:18

h/seed thats the gadjet!!! from memory the workman ship was very good, style well that a case of personal taste ?? my main memory was everything was half finished as he was still building it as he worked the truck and it was easier to work on the engine when it was a louieville

IP Logged
bigcam
Administrator
HCVC Member

Briso
Reply #14 - 28.06.2011 at 19:19:55

Hayseed, read your post the first time mate, and I'm not professing to be knowledgable on either, I was just pionting out you can probobly get the VSB 6 off the internet for free if you want it. The VSB 6 is the one that most of the state governments use as their guidelines for heavy vehicle modifications.

grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 28.06.2011 at 19:20:59

cam better go an have a few fizzy,s your driftin into hotrodism

IP Logged
903CAM
Semi Licenced

Loox like we got
ourselves a
connnvooy...

Adelaide
Reply #16 - 28.06.2011 at 19:27:21

I remember the "Apparition"..
Last time I saw it , it looked pretty tired.
Ahead of its time when it was built though. Huh

" Ve get too soon oldt , undt too late schmart "
View Profile   IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #17 - 28.06.2011 at 19:31:03

Howdy,

Yep thats it Kirky. Will be licenced as a Scania with a Mod tag for cab. Steering box relocation he wasnt fussed about funny enough. He was more concerned that no steering gear was chopped and welded or heated and bent. I got a spec sheet for a single drive Scania for the same year and compared the axle rating and chassis dimensions and is happy to adopt the single drive GCM, GVM.
I think the secret with a project like this or a hot rod is full transparency with the engineers etc. You can do some great things the right way. Its only when your trying to do something that isn’t safe or from an engineering point of view not right you get into trouble.
The other major factor is also I have a responsibility to other road users that this thing is safe so I want it right.
Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 28.06.2011 at 19:41:29

h/seed your correct about cars  whole new ball game the rta are  onto us[rodders] like flys on dog sh$t   it wont be long an the same will  apply to trucks . i could wallpaper the opera house every year with the paper work they send on changes to adr,s and amended rules!!! most of which is only to justify there existance

IP Logged
bigcam
Administrator
HCVC Member

Briso
Reply #19 - 28.06.2011 at 19:42:02

That's what I've been using for medication, am I doing something wrong?345mate wrote on 28.06.2011 at 19:20:59:

Swishy
Serious Collector

Of All The Things
Ive Lost I Miss My
Mind The Most

Melbourne Vic Australia
Reply #20 - 28.06.2011 at 19:42:49

Bazil
Gudday M8

az me rememberer .............dont
Q:? How many HP
n talk of torque?

IZ this a Scania donk th@ wistles down B tween cog sellection

thanx in advance
Cya

§wishy
HasBeen

ArtistnPixelMaNipple8R
E&OE
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 28.06.2011 at 19:45:45

baz once again you summed it up perfectly but i still want some piccy,s bloke

IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 28.06.2011 at 19:50:39

cam your good to go with that medication but dr grenfell suggests you up the dose and hide the containers from jimbo???

IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #23 - 28.06.2011 at 19:53:05

Hi Swishy,

Yes its the one with the asthmatic turbo Cool 420@1900, 1270ftlb @ 1250

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
bigcam
Administrator
HCVC Member

Briso
Reply #24 - 28.06.2011 at 19:54:12

The doctor sais take up walking, did you know you can carry a 6 pack of cans in a little esky while you walk?

hayseed
Local driver
HCVC Member

Reply #25 - 28.06.2011 at 20:41:27

bigcam wrote on 28.06.2011 at 19:42:02:
That's what I've been using for medication, am I doing something wrong?345mate wrote on 28.06.2011 at 19:20:59:

I haven't had My Fizzy fix today Huh
That might be My problem Wink

don't mind...

And those that mind....

don't matter."
View Profile   IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #26 - 28.06.2011 at 22:05:10

Here yer go Cheesy Cool.
Second pic - cab has been lowered 6" since then.
Project parked at pic stage so I dont have anymore real interesting pics.

View Profile   IP Logged
Eddy.
MC Licenced
HCVC Member

Waikerie SA

Waikerie SA
Reply #27 - 29.06.2011 at 13:56:08

Cool this is lining up to be one cool beastie!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Be it firearms, grog or V-8 engines, the question to be asked is not "Why do I need it?"
77 Leyland Terrier V8
melonreo
First Job

diamonds are forever

west wyalong
Reply #28 - 29.06.2011 at 15:09:11

look good the BAZ
have you got a piccy of the steering box conversion

<a hre</div>
		</div>
		<div style= View Profile   IP Logged
Assessor
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 29.06.2011 at 15:37:40

Baz i assume you've channelled the cab to get it to sit down over the chassis, has this made much of a difference on the cab floor in regards to head hight in the cab, i know ive channelled a few 36 coupes in the old days, it made for an interesting seating posi and head hight in the cab/body, looked pretty tough sitting up high on the chassis, was this no good? to much gap?  i thinking of doing a Simular job soon  , Ive got a louie, 692, auto,very rusty cab, i was going to put an early ford cab and use it as a club truck Cheers Adam

IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 29.06.2011 at 16:52:18

bas i know a few mexicans [not vic] real ones that would love that visor sh#t im lookin in the background!!! sorry bloke

IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 29.06.2011 at 16:57:22

cam if you gonna take up that walkin b/s  find a fizz shop thats a 6pack walk from home that way when you get there  you can get another for the return leg!!!

IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #32 - 29.06.2011 at 18:03:45

Gidday Fella’s,
Backend in picture is just to move it around….backend since gone on holidays to China.
Melon – The last picture I posted is the only I have with the steering in it.
Adam – The Chev cab floor is around 6” higher than the bottom of the cab you see in the pic so it drops down over the rails if that makes sense. Sort of a factory channel job.
My uncle is a hot rodder from way back and has done a few channel jobs, roof chops over the years and he is on my case to drop the roof 3” but I have two old 60’s air ride seats I want to use and the chop would see me banging me melon on the roof….we will see.
With the cab up high where it was is great for access to all the duddle under the cab but I want to keep the whole lot low and mean with the long  bonnet level to the nose.
The original GMC headlights mounted in a metal tubs on the guards. Didn’t like them so I bought two stainless steel polished bullet lights from a hot rod mob in the US and are going to mount them to the side of the rad surround with a pair of those spoofy Pete drop head light brackets Cool.
There is a Louie chassis over here with a 65 F700 cab and front clip on it with a VT903 in it. Big long twin screw with a tilt tray. Looks grouse with a couple of big honkers on it.
Kirky – The sun visor is aluminium. Off a 47 Buick Cool. I want to copy it in stainless….Mate if you want to travel over here to pinch it let me know and we can have a drink or two before you disappear into the night.
Project total to date $1850  -  Two headlights from US, air ride backend cut off and two new Donaldson cowl mount air cleaners…..rest I had laying around….I suppose my point for putting this bit in is to inspire, you can have a lot of fun and get along way into a project without spending a lot of money Smiley.

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
Assessor
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 29.06.2011 at 18:17:32

great thread bazz, would look great with a top chop too, but i guess you would have to stick with the milk create,lol

Cheers Adam

IP Logged
Fuller-Vit
Semi Licenced

Underloaded Trucks
 Overload the
economy

Cairns
Reply #34 - 29.06.2011 at 18:37:37

Basil
The Chevania is going to be one to follow.
keep up the great work and more power to you Wink

In the beginning God created Seddon and ERF
View Profile   IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 29.06.2011 at 19:04:53

baz im not a big fan of roof chops especially on pikups  i cop a lot of grief about the stock hieght on my 34 pickup but its stayin stock its so crowded in there you gotta step out to change your mind!!!! plus they look out of proportion to me???  lookout mate im retirin soon an may point the pete to perth  kirky

IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #36 - 29.06.2011 at 19:46:19

Yep im hearing you kirky with the chop.
Better hide sunvisor  Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Assessor
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 29.06.2011 at 19:48:06

Dont like chop top's ??? and ya call ya self a hot-rodder????    Ahhhhhh bring her down here Kirky, i will only sneek a little outa the top  "promise" Wink Shocked

pic's courtesty of
worldautosguide.com

IP Logged
melonreo
First Job

diamonds are forever

west wyalong
Reply #38 - 29.06.2011 at 20:04:02

<a hre</div>
		</div>
		<div style= View Profile   IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 30.06.2011 at 06:36:36

adam im a hotrodder not a street rodder!!!  street rodders drive plastic topchop kit cars with lollypop paint and the only part thats genuine ford is the 9inch diff centre

IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 30.06.2011 at 06:42:19

adam THIS is a hotrod

IP Logged
Swishy
Serious Collector

Of All The Things
Ive Lost I Miss My
Mind The Most

Melbourne Vic Australia
Reply #41 - 30.06.2011 at 08:22:20

Noice

For a pak of ol Hooonz

LOL

§wishy
HasBeen

ArtistnPixelMaNipple8R
E&OE
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #42 - 30.06.2011 at 09:04:25

Slight differance Swisho,

Hot Rodders cruise, have side valve Ford V8's with triple 97 stombergs, Have trouble staying awake past the 7 oclock news, sit on milk crates, drink bundie and enjoy life. Cool

Street rodders do big broggies on the street, drive fast, Stay up all night doing laps arounds the Bunnings carpark, have twin turbo intercooled, electronically controlled doovmatrons and play da loud doof doof mate Cheesy

I reckon you are reffering to second option.
Pretty confident Kirky is in the first lot.

Basil Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
chocs
Small fleet owner

Asleepinthabunk at Interland
Reply #43 - 30.06.2011 at 10:15:48

good thing ya put up that pic, Basil..
i think ya threw the bonnet on the last load we did! Cheesy Cheesy
I'll head up to the heap this mornin and drag it back out for ya.. The grab will dent it a bit but better than no bonnet ay??
chocs Cool

Ya get out what ya put in...

Here for a good time...not a long time....

Ay...Remember what Mum said...

Always keep an eye out for snakes.....
View Profile   IP Logged
Assessor
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 30.06.2011 at 12:12:26

Geeez kirky, correct me if i am wrong, but hot rodding to me is american graffiti, and pete&jakes  california kid, ,  both milners 32 ,5 window and the 34, 3 window of pete & jakes were "steel" and both were "chopped", reckon you would have a bit of an argument on ya hands callen them cars street rods to the hot rodders, but of corse i do stand to be ........you know the rest   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked

IP Logged
hayseed
Local driver
HCVC Member

Reply #45 - 30.06.2011 at 12:39:23

Edgar_Worthington wrote on 29.06.2011 at 19:48:06:
Dont like chop top's ??? and ya call ya self a hot-rodder????    Ahhhhhh bring her down here Kirky, i will only sneek a little outa the top  "promise" Wink Shocked

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n490/TWODOGSTRUCKING/peterbilt2.jpg http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n490/TWODOGSTRUCKING/pissdoffpete_01.jpg

pic's courtesty of
worldautosguide.com

I reckon that the SAAB motor should have 8 pipes like these Cool Cool

don't mind...

And those that mind....

don't matter."
View Profile   IP Logged
hayseed
Local driver
HCVC Member

Reply #46 - 30.06.2011 at 12:45:33

Swishy wrote on 30.06.2011 at 08:22:20:
Noice

For a pak of ol Hooonz

LOL

I thought Hooooonz put videos of SCREEAAAMEEERRRSSS on youtube Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

don't mind...

And those that mind....

don't matter."
View Profile   IP Logged
Swishy
Serious Collector

Of All The Things
Ive Lost I Miss My
Mind The Most

Melbourne Vic Australia
Reply #47 - 30.06.2011 at 14:01:11

OK

ok

Guilty az charged u're Honor
LOL

but in my defense
eye did it @ a moment of weakness

Hold me can n watch this
Cya

§wishy
HasBeen

ArtistnPixelMaNipple8R
E&OE
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #48 - 30.06.2011 at 14:34:41

To get back on track a little you would by now have an idea of what im trying to achieve with this old school style truck.....any suggestions on a gearbox setup ?
The RTO 12513 would work good although a little predicable putting a roadranger in it.
Scania 10 speed synchro is direct so thats no good.
What are you thoughts on the Spicer 14 speed ?
An old spicer 4 x 4 setup would be the business but Im not sure what the Scania would do it if I got abit excited.
Any other options ?

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 30.06.2011 at 14:34:48

adam  hotrodding started after ww2 an went thru till the early 70s when the us magazines started the term street rod because they thought it was modern and fitted in with  the new fad of street machines an muscle cars at the same time came glass bodys an a heap of people buildin complete chassis kit ,front an rear suspention kit you name it pete chaporis an jake jacobs whom ive known scince 75 are nice guys an they cashed in on this  but they have never campained a car at bonnieville or  at the drags   or ran speedway there streetrodders !!!  when i built the34 pickup everything came from inside the shed not  a catologe the only thing on it later than 1960 is the tyres  as for the movies yeah there fun to watch but there hollywood bullsh$t

IP Logged
Assessor
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 30.06.2011 at 15:00:27

Bazz sorry for stealing ya thread mate, ya doin a top job on the old jigga, she should come up a treat, very individual look, it got me keen to start a new project!!

Kirky ya old bugger, we will have to save our discussion to when we catch up to share some fizz,

but its good fun, and throws a bit of life into the joint Wink

IP Logged
Swishy
Serious Collector

Of All The Things
Ive Lost I Miss My
Mind The Most

Melbourne Vic Australia
Reply #51 - 30.06.2011 at 15:06:11

GrenFella
Gudday M8

RE: hollywood bullsh$t

BUT
But

We thrive on it

LOL
---------------------------------------
Bazil
Gudday M8
Woulda Mack QuadBox 5x4.............do the job
Cya

§wishy
HasBeen

ArtistnPixelMaNipple8R
E&OE
hayseed
Local driver
HCVC Member

Reply #52 - 30.06.2011 at 15:26:04

RE; Gearbox options.

A bit left field I know.  BUT

Allison Auto??????????
Pretty sure you can get them with Overdrive..

PLus a bit less work with the pedal box ect..

Just a thought

Or if you really want a manual??

six speed Mack, just to keep the BITZA theme alive

don't mind...

And those that mind....

don't matter."
View Profile   IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 30.06.2011 at 16:30:32

sorry baz back on track!! im with swish this gadget needs 2 sticks either swishy,s compound mack 4x4 or i have a spicer 4x4 that would fit  !!!! a roadbag is just to ordinary

IP Logged
Swishy
Serious Collector

Of All The Things
Ive Lost I Miss My
Mind The Most

Melbourne Vic Australia
Reply #54 - 30.06.2011 at 16:58:16

Sme again
Yep
U gotta B different

May B a Mack Quadbox 5x4 plus nuther joey If n U got the W/B to fit er all in make it a 3 stiker
the mack Quad coz there aint been no other twin stik set up th@ twaz user friendly than the Mack Quad box stix

Th@ way U could win the slo race @ idle revs , snails would pass U
or cruise along @ the 100 @ 1200 RPM

Give or take  a dab on the peddle
LOL
Im sure everybody would say WTF iz th@..........Mongrel Beast
LOL
Cya

§wishy
HasBeen

ArtistnPixelMaNipple8R
E&OE
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 30.06.2011 at 17:34:44

sounds good to me swish! mack 5x4 and a 4 speed aux but mounted back to front  lo  lo in the aux becomes double over!!

IP Logged
mike garrett
MR Licenced

Reply #56 - 30.06.2011 at 19:40:07

How about a 4 speed joey behind the Scania 10 speed would give you an od and the ten speed all ready bolts up to the V8 sorta the worst of both worlds.

View Profile   IP Logged
chocs
Small fleet owner

Reply #57 - 30.06.2011 at 19:59:48

Gday Baz....
got them bonnet...shes not too bad..you'll recover it ok
Gearbag......12sp pogo stick with a 4 speed joey
Ya wont know whether you are up down or indifferent!! Cheesy

If ya have a 13 use it...
i'd go 9 over..get the big girl thumpin!!
chocs Cool

View Profile   IP Logged
Swishy
Serious Collector

Of All The Things
Ive Lost I Miss My
Mind The Most

Melbourne Vic Australia
Reply #58 - 30.06.2011 at 20:04:05

Me C the only prob
iz the Mack Quadbox might not B up 2 it for torque
Unless the Scinia Torque iz all talk n no action ..only pony power
A tru twin stiker is one U can progressively shift up n down the scale

But Wadda eye kno

there again ifn its not punishd or workd hard..........hoo nose
LOL

Cya

§wishy
HasBeen

ArtistnPixelMaNipple8R
E&OE
hummincummins
MR Licenced

wollongong
Reply #59 - 30.06.2011 at 20:13:48

Hey Baz,
Years ago I was steering a 141 and the original box was playing some expensive tunes,the boss replaced it with a 20 speed Spicer.
It made it a lot better to drive,just the right ratio for any pull and stretched the legs nicely as well.
I guess you won't be pulling much weight, just my 2 bob's worth.
Can't wait to see how it turns out.  Ian

View Profile   IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #60 - 30.06.2011 at 20:36:33

baz  looks like your draggin a few closet hotrodders out of the woodwork with this project!!!!  twin stick gets my vote either way its a breath of fresh air on the forum  well done!

IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #61 - 30.06.2011 at 21:03:13

Howdy Fellas,

A silly as it sounds I always liked the thought of two straight sticks with cat handles. Reckon it would look the part.
Scania box has issues so I dont really want to go there.
I looked at a quadbox but it was the torque that bothered me with that option.
Pulling a tandem with a couple of trucks on it is hardly loaded but the donk can still give the gearbox some curry if let pull down on a big hill and I just dont want to have to be pulling the truck to bits cos I broke it for the sake of good looking sticks.
4 x 4  with the progressive aux would be the gonads.
Have to get me some pointy toe alligator skin boots to drive this one. Cheesy

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
Swishy
Serious Collector

Of All The Things
Ive Lost I Miss My
Mind The Most

Melbourne Vic Australia
Reply #62 - 30.06.2011 at 21:04:35

L@@ks like HotRodderz have the best rides
LOL

ButWaddaEyeKno

Cya

§wishy
HasBeen

ArtistnPixelMaNipple8R
E&OE
chocs
Small fleet owner

Reply #63 - 30.06.2011 at 21:07:27

is it gunna be purple bazz???
im seein some cool paint!!
pity ya so far away.... Wink
we could get on the fizz and play decorators!
chocs Cool

View Profile   IP Logged
Eddy.
MC Licenced
HCVC Member

Waikerie SA

Waikerie SA
Reply #64 - 30.06.2011 at 21:20:54

77 Leyland Terrier V8
chocs
Small fleet owner

Reply #65 - 30.06.2011 at 21:21:22

Ay!
it'll be paddywhack the drumstick for you scallywags if ya start any of that shennanigans again!! Angry

chocs Cool

View Profile   IP Logged
Eddy.
MC Licenced
HCVC Member

Waikerie SA

Waikerie SA
Reply #66 - 30.06.2011 at 21:21:57

chocs wrote on 30.06.2011 at 21:07:27:
is it gunna be purple bazz???
im seein some cool paint!!
pity ya so far away.... Wink
we could get on the fizz and play decorators!
chocs Cool

me ... I'm seein' flat black ...  Grin

77 Leyland Terrier V8
­­­­­­Outerstater
Semi Licenced

Thames Trader 8v92t

Sunny Melbourne
Reply #67 - 30.06.2011 at 21:22:51

The trouble has started

˙ʇsod ʎɯ sı ǝuıן sıɥʇ ʍoןǝq buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ
View Profile   IP Logged
Swishy
Serious Collector

Of All The Things
Ive Lost I Miss My
Mind The Most

Melbourne Vic Australia
Reply #68 - 30.06.2011 at 21:33:21

Yep
Matt black wheels, hubs chassis, cab exhaust,etc
or just a rub with emery on the existin job

here B sum CogBox selections

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/english/onlineorder/pdf/SPSM0110307_66.pdf

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/english/onlineorder/pdf/3050-1_167.pdf

http://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1235302618

Cya

§wishy
HasBeen

ArtistnPixelMaNipple8R
E&OE
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #69 - 30.06.2011 at 21:34:59

Well chocs thats another area im open to suggestions....paint colours Cool.

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
jimbo51
Global Moderator
HCVC Member

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #70 - 30.06.2011 at 22:24:18

No new paint, just weathered.

Patina of age and use!

View Profile   IP Logged
jimbo51
Global Moderator
HCVC Member

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #71 - 30.06.2011 at 23:09:32

Whatever you do, make sure you fit a good sound system ......

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8573790365524041233

View Profile   IP Logged
chocs
Small fleet owner

Reply #72 - 30.06.2011 at 23:30:30

Now its gunna need a parcel shelf Cheesy
chocs Cool

View Profile   IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #73 - 01.07.2011 at 00:05:36

No doof doof in this jigga.
Nuff weird noises coming out of honkers Cheesy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9wwlI41aKc&feature=related

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 01.07.2011 at 06:16:59

PAINT!!!!!!! YA DONT PAINT hotrods DIDIN YA SEE ME PICCY

IP Logged
Swishy
Serious Collector

Of All The Things
Ive Lost I Miss My
Mind The Most

Melbourne Vic Australia
Reply #75 - 01.07.2011 at 07:21:58

Spose different strokes fir different folks

No leggo man here

LOL

Clikty ClikClikClik

Cya

§wishy
HasBeen

ArtistnPixelMaNipple8R
E&OE
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #76 - 01.07.2011 at 11:27:05

Pretty radical old white squishy...thanks for that.
I suppose they would call that a rat rod what ever the hell that is.
Im sitting on Kirky's lawn here with what a hot rod is.( me pretending to know how kirky thinks and some yellow thingys Smiley Cheesy) A true hot rod retains its bodywork somewhat in the form it came from the factory in. 34' Ford with an un butchered cab and no mud gaurds is a hot rod to me.
These rat rod things dont do anything for me im affraid. Certainly making it hard for restorers and true rodders with good steel bodies being very sought after for the rat rod nip and tuck brigade.
I have enjoyed this topic with the different ideas you all have. At the end of the day modifying something to how we want it is what makes us all unique and even something you may not necassarily do yourself has some unique features that connect us all together.
As an example....Adams KW, who would have ever thought painting a KW grill surround would look so good  Cool

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 01.07.2011 at 11:41:15

baz i think you have got my thinking down pat  ratrods  an plastic duece roadsters have made it pretty hard to build an register a hotrod in nsw these days

IP Logged
bigcam
Administrator
HCVC Member

Briso
Reply #78 - 01.07.2011 at 12:30:34

Not that I have an opinion pretty much either way, but these 2 came into our yard today, lucky it was smoko, most of the boys were out there having a squizz, the black one is all steel, as is the J obviously, the one on the trailer is plastic, the 2 on one truck have come from America.

Assessor
Ex Member

Reply #79 - 01.07.2011 at 12:48:17

Looks like a fair bit sliced out of the roof of the Lincoln zephyr, now there's a rare beast Wink

IP Logged
onetrack
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 01.07.2011 at 13:35:24

Quote:
No doof doof in this jigga.
Nuff weird noises coming out of honkers

The best music I've heard is a 500HP Mack V8 pulling 100 tonnes up the Madura Pass while you're waiting at the top for him to make the climb .. and the sound is echoing off the wall of the cutting.
That's real music .. not doof doof or rap crap ....  Cheesy

IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #81 - 01.07.2011 at 14:31:02

Ron your post made me smile...starting to sound like there is abit of hot rodder in us all.
When I did my apprecitiship one of my first jobs was on a 4994 Case tractor. A rare beast in Aus and it had the 14 liter scania V8 in it....hearing that thing loaded up at 1900 on the dyno has had me hooked on them ever since.
There a great engine to work on also with the individual heads. Got to work on them quiet alot the years I was there.
Cam, the zephyr is going to live in QLD ?

Basil

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
bigcam
Administrator
HCVC Member

Briso
Reply #82 - 01.07.2011 at 15:04:24

Baz, I agree, the V8 Scania's sound great, the 141's were big HP in thier day too. One used to run around Bisbane with 2 X 5" chimbleys on it.

The Lincoln is staying in Queensland, was going up the hill to the cold spot where I was last week.

greenie
First Job

Marsden, QLD, 4132
Reply #83 - 01.07.2011 at 15:33:02

Baz, here's a paint job that's a bit different, you would certainly stand out from the crowd with this lot.  Smiley

http://www.macpinstriping.com/gallery/mac_gallery/album/slides/rusty_bug_.jpg

Have a look here, scroll down for the RUSTY BUG, there are 7 photos of it.

http://www.macpinstriping.com/gallery/mac_gallery/album/slides/

regards  greenie   Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Swishy
Serious Collector

Of All The Things
Ive Lost I Miss My
Mind The Most

Melbourne Vic Australia
Reply #84 - 01.07.2011 at 19:50:52

Th@ white eye posted up there above
would eye'd B right in think n
th@ it B a 'no go'

Alwaze thort the radiator needs to B higher than the head or else she may cook

?Cigar or No Cigar?

Cya

§wishy
HasBeen

ArtistnPixelMaNipple8R
E&OE
hayseed
Local driver
HCVC Member

Reply #85 - 01.07.2011 at 20:32:13

I'm inclined to agree Swishy Undecided

However,
I do remember the old EA falcons had head above the top of the radiator, & if you didn't bleed ALL the air out of them you did indeed cook the motor. I sure there are several cars built like that.
But I too ST&2B..........

don't mind...

And those that mind....

don't matter."
View Profile   IP Logged
chocs
Small fleet owner

Reply #86 - 01.07.2011 at 20:35:45

commodores...
i thinks a few cabover buggies...hence the header tank Undecided
bitdstbc
chocs Cool

View Profile   IP Logged
Assessor
Ex Member

Reply #87 - 01.07.2011 at 20:49:31

Here's some more pic's of the beast

IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #88 - 01.07.2011 at 23:39:21

On the subject of my project im looking for a pair of  Wagner Sangamo Tachograph's like the pic below. Speed & rpm if anyone has some leads. Cool

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
Assessor
Ex Member

Reply #89 - 02.07.2011 at 10:37:39

Ya see them from time to time on US ebay baz, or jump on ATHS, Those blokes will know, ive got a good truck contact over there just about to send me some gear, i will ask if ya like

Cheers Adam

IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #90 - 02.07.2011 at 11:19:01

Gidday Adam,

I missed a nice set on ebay not long ago.
I would appreciate it if you wouldnt mind asking your contact Smiley

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
onetrack
Ex Member

Reply #91 - 02.07.2011 at 11:30:41

What are ya going to do with tachographs, Baz? When the mermaids pull ya up and start giving ya grief about ya comic book write-ups .. you're going to pull out the tachograph cards, and wave them under their noses, and tell them you've got court-admissable evidence, to refute their BS claims?? ..  Grin Grin

IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #92 - 02.07.2011 at 11:40:17

Hi Ron,

If I can get a pair and get the speed and rpm part working I will use them in the GMC instead of the scania gauges. Not worried if cardy bit doesnt work.....Nice officer wouldnt know what to do If I habded him cards out of the old wurlitzers  Cheesy

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
onetrack
Ex Member

Reply #93 - 02.07.2011 at 11:44:43

I'd be concerned that a nosey mermaid would write you up, for not having fitted tachographs in working condition, and with cards installed ..  Undecided

IP Logged
grenfell34
Ex Member

Reply #94 - 02.07.2011 at 17:32:12

baz  if this is what your after i have a few

IP Logged
GM Diesel
Global Moderator

Dereel, VIC
Reply #95 - 02.07.2011 at 19:54:50

Kirky,

Thanks for the reply. I you have surplus RPM and speed tachographs I would be very appreciative. Smiley

Basil

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1