Skip to main content

"The Good Ol' Daze"!

More
8 years 2 months ago #166603 by Dave_64
"The Good Ol' Daze"! was created by Dave_64
I know this subject has been referred to probably many times, but just going over some of the old posts, there really is a hard core element who seem to yearn for the good old days!
I consider myself one or them (you). To think that we used to curse some of those old bangers up (and down) hill and dale, out changing rag tyres (mostly caps) in a howling gale, getting wet to the bum, or cooked alive in not only the broiling sun, but some of those old closed cab monstrosities! Sleeping on top, or under a load, sometimes on a banana chair outside a day cab being eaten alive by mossies, etc,etc And the roads! Camel and goat tracks, even the National route 1 was a permanent disgrace, not a permanent way! And what do we come up with? Lovingly restore some of those same old bangers to their former glory and then want to drive on those same old roads and bypass these new super-dooper highways, just so we can crawl the old tracks! No wonder the public or the average car driver scratches their collective heads in wonder, muttering under their breath, "..........well, they ARE truck drivers, after all!" We must have some sort of masochistic streak in us, because this is FUN! Just think, my dear old Mum wanted me to be a Vet! The only vet I became was as a returned serviceman, probably still doing slow revolutions in her grave!
As the Swish would ask,"..............wot sez you??"
Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166616 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic "The Good Ol' Daze"!
I was never a highway runner, driving mostly rigids allover victoria either in a acco 6v53, volvo G88 or mitsies.

None where overly powerful, fast or comfortable, the only time i camped in them was if they broke down, we either had directional drilling rigs on them or a spray seeder, for erosion control.

I didnt care, loved it, coming up 15 years since i last worked behind the wheel.

Then just yesterday, I ran my little M Bedford up to yarra junction of a wedding in a couple of weekends time....Jeez it was a bit of a handful!
No shockers fitted from factory made the front and rear skip about, short wheelbase and no load made it worse.
I was following (and keeping up with) a mate in a late model falcon ute. The little petrol engine lost a bit of speed on the hills. It was noisy, hot (until I reversed the quarter vent window and kicked out the side vents in the cowl.
It wandered a bit, so i had to stay on the ball.
Got out at the end and my face was aching from grinning!
Yes they were the good old days, even my bride loves it! !It brings back the term," Its not about the destination, its the journey!"

And almost every truck i drove past waved. that dosent happen now in a "Modern"

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
8 years 2 months ago #166820 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic "The Good Ol' Daze"!
The good old bad old days I call them but the difference is we do it now to call memories back of better times and anyway if we hadn't done these things we wouldn't have all those great stories to tell and have others shak'in their heads in disbelief so " wot sez you "

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.439 seconds