Skip to main content

Horses

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #102987 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: Horses
amazing stuff .... never realised horses could help you build a dam ! ... well ill be dammed ;) its good to see how they used to do it also theres quite a few old horse drawn implements still around
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by kenny-mopar.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #102988 by elgindale
Replied by elgindale on topic Re: Horses
It takes a good horse to pull a load like this.
Ps this was a scan taken from a glass plate photo taken in the early 1900's no photoshop back then.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by elgindale.

More
11 years 2 months ago #102989 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Horses
elgindale,
I would like to buy the property where they grew those corn cobbs,and the size of the pig,and the saw bench with two blades, ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 2 months ago #102990 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Horses
Now Thatz
'CORNY'

LOL

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 2 months ago #102991 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Horses
They're still available ...

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #102992 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Horses
Swishy.
Must be worth a bit ,has a armed guard ;D ;D ;D
Bugly911
why is there not someone to help the poor girl :o :o :o

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Mairjimmy.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #102993 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Horses
100 years ago, construction started on Trans Australia Railway. The work continued through WWI (known as Great War then: it wasn't WWI until WWII came along).
Track laying was highly mechanised for the era, including world records for distance laid in a day.
Earthworks used animals.
My memory is of horses rather than camels: there is a wonderful documentary which I have seen many times and at many places, but I can't find it online.
They hauled scoop skips which grabbed up soil, then hauled them to a dumping spot, where the driver upended the skip like a wheelbarrow. They were used two ways: to grab earth/gravel to build up an embankment for the track, and to create dams to hold bore water for locomotives. These were roofed, to reduce evaporation.
The only video which I can find fast has two glimpses of horses. In one of them, two horses are hauling a foreman's buggy.
aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/transcontinental-railway/clip1

The centenary of the first sod at the eastern end was celebrated in Sept.12 at Port Augusta (SA); the centenary of the first sod at the western end will be celebrated in Feb.13 at Kalgoorlie. I have placed an advance alert in the events thread, as it would be a great weekend for anything vintage to rally to Kalgoorlie.
Rail Heritage WA is renovating rollingstock from different eras (including some 1917 originals) to provide a heritage train for the centenary of completion.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #102994 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Horses
Horse works, latest project. Poles went across the big gear, up to four horses worked around in a circle, a long shaft from the u joint to a pulley outside of the horses path.
Bevel gears 4 to 1, spur gears 5 1/2 to 1 giving 22 revs for one from the horse. Have never seen one in action.
David.

Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by wouldyou.

More
11 years 2 months ago #102995 by bund126
Replied by bund126 on topic Re: Horses
There is a 5km long tunnel built in the early 1900's to join the Millbrook resevoir and little Para resevoir
the story goes that the horses didn't see day light for 8 hrs a day pulling a cable plough

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #102996 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Horses
I was at Wonthaggi (Vic.) on the day when the last pit ponies were brought out of the closing black-coal mine (Dec.6*). I don't know what the spell of duty was below the surface, and it may well have been a whole working life. Gooey newspaper readers were warned not to offer to adopt one: they had the wrong temperament. It seems that they were brought out after every shift, or perhaps on a weekly rotation. There are many references by googling. One which keeps giving downloading errors reports an event when fire caused the failure of the main lift. The pit ponies had to be brought out through a ventilation shaft: ok for miners, but not the right size for horses.

I have stacks of books and magazines from Light Railway Research Society of Australia showing horse teams hauling logs on forest tramways; the were the norm, rather than the exception.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Roderick Smith.

Time to create page: 0.495 seconds