Skip to main content

Modern buses

More
7 years 8 months ago #172845 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Modern buses
The Leyland Royal Tiger that we have has the 680 and 4 speed pneumo cyclic gearbox and I have to agree about the slow changes. On the flat it isn't such a problem but when taking off uphill it certainly is. By the time you have selected 2nd gear the bus is just about stopped. I was also imformed not to rush the changes as they will grab 2 gears at the same time, not good for gearbox life.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #172985 by Roderick Smith
I have now scanned my sole photo of the trip mentioned in an earlier response.

891008Su Nullarbor, somewhere between Norseman (WA) and Nundoo (SA): Deluxe Kassbohrer Setra TC726. (Roderick Smith).
I had connected into this via the overnight via Albany, joining bus 176 at Esperance at 3.20, and arriving at Norseman at 5.10.
Deluxe via Kalgoorlie arrived at 5.30, with a second division (Deluxe Sunbury 103) at 5.45.
I was in TC726, but didn't record a fleet number, and it doesn't show. I scored 1D, the seat above the driver, with screens to reduce headlamp glare.
I was on bus because there was an airline strike.
The movie was horrible, and made worse by the people adjacent having seen it before, and announcing what was about to happen.
The running was:
Norseman 6.07.
6.12: a car & trailer which had pulled over to let us passed swerved back, and sideswiped us; we returned to Norseman police station, for a 6.24-42 stop.
stop 9.06-17.
Caiguna 10.11-54 (breakfast?). I noted that the damage was minor, which hints that I took the photo here.
We were running steadily at 120 km/h.
Eucla 13.55.
advance watch 1.5 h.
Border 15.31-16.33 (lunch?).
Pull off to a view of the bight, 17.32-42 (a nice touch on an express service).
Nundroo 19.38-48.
The bus toilet was out of water.
Penong 20.31.
Ceduna 21.09-22.22 (fruit fly, then dinner).
Adelaide 5.58.

From ATDB: Deluxe had 16 Setras.
From ABFL: Only 15, and none was TC726. Fleet numbers were 100-112, 114 & 115.
Was I in the missing 113? Is ABFL wrong with some registrations?

Roderick

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #173003 by d23j
The big problem with these scg trans was no toque converter and only a fluid flywheel so starting off under heavy load on a hill is a problem!

More
7 years 8 months ago #173165 by Roderick Smith
130814W Devonshire St at Chalmers St, Sydney (NSW): Mercedes/PMC 3245. (Jeff Bounds) From ABFL:
STA - Sydney Buses & Newcastle Buses 3245, m/o3245, Mercedes-Benz O405, PMC Mark 5, built June 89, withdrawn 2015, seating B43D.

Roderick.

Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #173339 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Modern buses
130831Sa Woodlands Park (Adelaide, SA): Rail replacement bus, Scania / Custom Coaches 2543. (Jeff Bounds)
From ABFL: SouthLink, Fleet number 2543, registration XJA748, Scania L94UB / Custom Coaches CB60A, built Mar.06, seating B41DW.

Roderick.

Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago #173352 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Modern buses
Re:-
Ray's reply about the 4speed p/cyclic behind a 680. If I remember correctly, didn't they also try a 5 speed p/cyclic for heavier vehicles? I may be confusing them with at least one adaptation of the 4 speed with an integrated splitter?
Yes, I can just imagine the drama's getting baulked half way up the Moonbi's or something similar. Be a complete stop and then crawl all the way up the top in starting gear.
Allison's, although an entirely different application, fared better I would feel. Recall Sellwood's from Melb with the fridge vans, tested an 8V71 with the 5 or 6 speed auto Allison some time back. Had a coffee with one of their drivers at some truck stop and he commented just how easy it was to drive, it would change down itself or you could manually over-ride it. This particular driver reckoned it was great on the old Hume, although it was heavy on fuel, (and around that era, the 8V's were as about as thirsty as most engines of their comparable size).
Probably getting a little off topic with this, as Allisons in road transport have been around for many years in different guises, seemed to be quite popular in city rigids, concrete agitators etc.
Just back to the p/cyclic box, the Dept of Supply had an 8 speed semi-auto in their big Scammell float, but for the life of me, can't remember if it was a straight 8 speed, or the 4 speed with the splitter?
Someone may know.
Cheers, Dave-64

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 8 months ago #173353 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Modern buses
Dave
M80
Did hear RE: Selwood ere
the autos were no good as the drivers had nut n 2 do n fell asleep @ the wheel n run n off the Rd

other thing not sure hoo tried it
but they compared 2 screeemers one with recommended oil changes n other no oil changes to compare life cost of truck
dunno wot the out cum twaz
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #173355 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Modern buses
Swishy,
I am not sure if that one of Sellwood's (later Seltino) was a one off. It was painted up in Sellwood's brown and white, maybe Kenworth's came up with the idea of trying to promote them?
I didn't really think of the drivers getting bored and going for a nod, then 'mushroom picking'.
I wouldn't even know how long they persevered with it (or them), the only thing I recall was the driver telling me how easy they were to actually drive and being heavier on fuel.
Fuel probably wouldn't be a real issue on city/local jigging about??
Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #173423 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Modern buses
I didn't think Screamers kept the oil inside long enough to need changing - just daily top ups :)
:evil:

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
7 years 8 months ago #173498 by Detroit Dreamer
Replied by Detroit Dreamer on topic Modern buses
That's why they don't rust ;)

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds