Skip to main content

International Farmall AMD

More
8 years 3 months ago #165243 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic International Farmall AMD
Not sure how these are going to come up here, but here goes......
preserved under a thick orange-peel paint job:

"SUPER AMD"

"IH FARMALL" and in small print: "MADE IN AUSTRALIA. INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER COMPANY PTY.LTD. MELBOURNE" (I think that's what it says). Under that in big letters"DIESEL". I guess that was a big thing at the time.

I'm not game to rub it back much further in case I go through it.

Looks like I'm going to have to saw through the air cleaner and exhaust stacks :(

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #165296 by asw120
GEAR SELECTOR PROBLEM

I beieve I've found out why it was stuck in 5th out of the gate - the gear lever is very worn. It's quite easy to get the gear lever back into the gate before the 4/5 shift rail has reached the detent.

I measure the gate width at 3/4" and the gear lever at well under 9/16"! I'm guessing it should stick out as far in one direction as the other? Hopefully the pictures will explain.

The gate. (I'll admit to not knowing the technical term for this)

The lever (with one side worn down?)

I thought I would build it up to about 1/16" - 1/8" less than the gate. Advice welcome.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 3 months ago #165313 by Mrsmackpaul
build it up with the welder and grind it back to the right size

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 3 months ago #165479 by asw120
The gear lever is now repaired and the top back on the gearbox. The pivot pin for the gear lever through the casting is very sloppy, but not much I can do about that. Shouldn't cause any problems.

This is what 7 or 8 Crownies does for my welding skills.

After filing.

Official size gauge.

New gaskets.

Now to start finding parts. I would also like to know what the goop was sealing the front and back halves of the transmission cover together. Anyone?

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 3 months ago #165481 by Mrsmackpaul

asw120 wrote: I would also like to know what the goop was sealing the front and back halves of the transmission cover together. Anyone?

Jarrod.

please explain ??????????? what front and back halves ??????????

good to see its coming together ok

Paul

More
8 years 3 months ago #165487 by asw120
Paul, I don't know what models it applies to, but the transmission cover splits roughly over the back axle. The front half carries the gear lever and the belt pulley drive, the back half has the rear lift (3PL rams, etc). There is a 1" wide strip covering the join. It had plasticine - type stuff in it. I don't remember my H having this, but it didn't have hydraulics, either.

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 3 months ago #165489 by Mrsmackpaul
no idea mate does it need to be sealed there I would have thought the gaskets would seal each half up ok

Paul

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #165504 by asw120
There is a gap of about 1/8", which is right above the crown wheel (visible through the filler plug hole, which took a rattle gun to get out). The holes visible at each end of the join seem to clamp some rope - seal type stuff (there's a bit on the gearbox cover), which I think seals the brake shafts at each end of the diff centre.

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by asw120.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #170662 by asw120
A modicum of progress to report.

I bought a starter at the Biddeston tractor pull recently. Unknown condition, but turns out to crank really well (with the pistons still out).

Looking for front rims, I rang a bloke I know who was doing wide wheels for old-style hot rods, etc. I had sold him several wheels over the years, from which he would use the centres. Turns out he had a mild stroke and isn't doing it anymore due to lack of strength, but he still gets wheels and passes them onto someone else. It also turns out he was in my area that day, so he popped in to measure my front rims. These are so rusty, there's not enough metal left to make one out of two.
He came back a couple of weeks later and showed me some wheels which turned out not to suit, but out of curiosity I dug out some old Air-Rides he had in his ute to see what they were - bingo! Old 16" Jeep wheels. He dropped the rims off several days ago. His mate reckons they are Diahatsu, or something, but I'm not bothered because they fit. I had a mate to the one good Air-Ride and the tractor now has front tyres on it with air in them for the first time in 20 - 30 years?

Apologies for the crappy photo, it was after dark to get them on.

Still chasing sleeves and back tyres, something will turn up. At least now I think I can get it under cover.

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by asw120.

More
7 years 10 months ago #170800 by asw120
I'm hoping this is a good sign. All four squirt thus. (after a bit of tinkering)

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, Tacho

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds