Like thiz n

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #164436 by Skipjack
Replied by Skipjack on topic 6v53 reassemble
Lookin' good, Wedge! Where did you ever cumshaw that gear set? You'll never run out of wallop with that. I'll send some nit-picking details by email.

Mark

More
8 years 4 months ago #164437 by Skipjack
Replied by Skipjack on topic 6v53 reassemble
Wedgetail, if you do decide to fasten the unit by the end, just get enough bolts into it and no worries. Here's link re: tensile strength (use grade 8 everywhere):

www.almabolt.com/pages/catalog/bolts/proofloadtensile.htm

I've bolted up Cat 6 cylinders to mine from the end with no problems, so a 6V should be easy.

Mark

More
8 years 4 months ago #164553 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic 6v53 reassemble

Swishy wrote: Wedgy

Jist stik a prop under the front where the front engine mount hooks on
me thinks its a round doo hickey jist B hind the front pulley

OR

Like thiz n

cya

Problem is it's right at the bottom - so when the block is upright there'd bit a huge lot of stress on top bolts of the front mount to plate. The flywheel housing has a nice central mount so the rear is sorted. Thinking maybe I'll use a bolt higher up off the front casing (facing forward) so it'll be in shear rather than tension. Would have to support it underneath while taking the timing cover on and off

Skipjack wrote: Lookin' good, Wedge! Where did you ever cumshaw that gear set? You'll never run out of wallop with that. I'll send some nit-picking details by email.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Scored it off the end of the wool shed where I've set up my woodwork shop. Was used to lift wool bales I guess, certainly heavy enough...

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 4 months ago #164554 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 6v53 reassemble
WedgeMan
on u're U bute rotisserie make the pivoting point ded center of crank shaft n th@ way U can support the front via the front pulley use n a curved support to fit

Butt

Wadda eye kno
me only a armchair critic

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #166295 by wedgetail84
well I think they start at about $130 per injector here... Did end up getting the N50s - $100 for the lot and they're in good nick visually.

Now onto governors, is there any reason the governor from a truck spec 6v53 n/a would not be right for me? Have a lead on 3 local 6v53 NAs plus an allison for real cheap. They're in bits, so not too exciting but not sure I'll be able to resist. He said something about one being a later model with spring loaded injectors so if one stuck the others wouldn't so it wouldn't run away - how does this sound? Will sort me out for manifolds, sump etc. at the least, hopefully an SAE2 housing, no cranks though. Might have to sell some bits for propaganda reasons though ;)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166304 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic 6v53 reassemble
Seen that add for those 53s was interested my self

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #166306 by wedgetail84
Yeah he said there'd been some interest! Where did he advertise - said it was Facebook but not sure what group? Just seen them and have committed... A couple look ok one's pretty sad. Once I've gone through the bits I'll move at least one on, and the Allison. Two of them at least would be good cores, heads good too supppsedly.

So I'm sorted for sump, governor, manifolds, flywheel housing etc.. Still need sae2 flywheel, clutch, rad, and road ranger. Hopefully I can trade for some of that. What I can't buy/trade is bloody time to get on with it :(

And only days off another baby so that won't improve! : :lol:

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #166326 by wedgetail84
So the late one is a 1994 model according to serial (6d-27***) and is painted silver. Non turbo though - 5063-5000 (fan to flywheel industrial). I can only find mention of all silvers being turbo models. Does anyone know if silver na blocks are the same as silver turbos? Not sure what combo to put in the inter now :woohoo:

The other non rooted engine is a 5067-5040 (fan to flywheel automotive) so I'v got the right governor

More
7 years 7 months ago #173857 by wedgetail84
OK so for starters I misread the serial - I was reading it as a silver but it had a whole digit less :( So that motor is a bit older than the rest.

Anyway, things move slowly otherwise! Got four of the six pistons cleaned up. Got my hone back and touched up the worst of the liners. It looks like they may be no good - even after quite a bit (5mins solid) there are a number of pits I can feel and stains. However, I've had a look at the liners in one of my donor blocks and they still have cross hatching and seem good. So are liners from a non turbo (5067-5040) the same as my turbo (5062-7300) ones?

honed liner

non turbo liners after a couple of rubs with an oil

Turbo piston on the right. They seem to have the same height and rod length, do the non turbo pistons get their increased compression from the slightly smaller piston combustion chamber?

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds