Skip to main content

6v53 reassemble

More
7 years 6 months ago #174869 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic 6v53 reassemble
Well no I haven't specifically got comparative quotes. But I have done some looking - it seems in the US a P&L kits is about US$250 each. A ring kit is about US$40 each (all aftermarket). Of course I'd still need 6 x pins, liner seals and on top of all that gaskets and seals. I just made a call and got quoted AU$4000 for a full out of frame kit including all gaskets and seals. One advantage of not getting liners and pistons is postage would be reasonable (in comparison) from the US if I went that route.

I haven't done any proper price hunting yet as I wanted to check my pistons and liners really were good enough to use - would be a shame to get rings then clean everything up and realise I really should have got P&Ls... I might just hone these liners up, remove the rest of the rings (two more pistons to do) then do some shopping. I have a mate who's in with MTU guys so hoping he can get me some good prices, however also open to suggestions...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Chocs
7 years 6 months ago #174873 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic 6v53 reassemble
I think you will be more than surprised at the price of P/L assemblies.
No need to go off shore, this stuff is readily available here.
Might save a lot of dirty hands and guess work.
Visibly, they might be fine, but get a few measurements going and things often go pear shaped fairly quickly.
Yes, I do realize there is a challenge at hand and not everyone is rollin in cash..
Sometimes it is cheaper to get the bits right the first time.
Im not trying to be a smart arse, but often a short cut is the longest distance between two points.
If it was on a pump or something where you could get at it easy for a quick tear down..yer maybe
But would imagine its goin in an Inter and you will have better things to do than rip it apart every ten minutes?;

Give these blokes a call..
Ask for Danny..
Stiles & Hicks
Address: 18 Brooklyn Ct, Campbellfield VIC 3061
Phone: (03) NINE 359 6800

More
7 years 6 months ago #174876 by wedgetail84

Chocs wrote: I think you will be more than surprised at the price of P/L assemblies.
No need to go off shore, this stuff is readily available here.
Might save a lot of dirty hands and guess work.
Visibly, they might be fine, but get a few measurements going and things often go pear shaped fairly quickly.
Yes, I do realize there is a challenge at hand and not everyone is rollin in cash..
Sometimes it is cheaper to get the bits right the first time.
Im not trying to be a smart arse, but often a short cut is the longest distance between two points.
If it was on a pump or something where you could get at it easy for a quick tear down..yer maybe
But would imagine its goin in an Inter and you will have better things to do than rip it apart every ten minutes?;

Give these blokes a call..
Ask for Danny..
Stiles & Hicks
Address: 18 Brooklyn Ct, Campbellfield VIC 3061
Phone: (03) NINE 359 6800

OK will try them and hope for a nice surprise... Certainly wouldn't say no to kits at the right price. But I was surprised when I made the call today - $3500 for the 6 P&L kits non genuine, that is way way out of my league. Maybe I should clean them up and then get some measurements either way

More
7 years 6 months ago #174879 by Dodgeanddetroit
Replied by Dodgeanddetroit on topic 6v53 reassemble
Have you tried Cutting Edges here in Oz, I bought a full 6v-53 kit 2 years ago for $2,000 plus GST. Pistons and liners were $1270.00 plus GST. Yes they may have gone up and the exchange rate might not be as good, but they could be worth a try. I thought the kits were good value at the time. My extra costs were having to find second hand heads and get them reconditioned and a few other motor parts that were worn out or rusted away, of course you don't always find this out until you pull it to bits. Good luck with it.
Regards D&D

More
7 years 6 months ago #174880 by Skipjack
Replied by Skipjack on topic 6v53 reassemble
Wedge, I think you'll find that the critical bits are liner roundness and a tight push fit of the liners in the block bores. If these are within specs, the discoloration in the liners shouldn't matter. You can check roundness with the appropriate dial indicator, and a light (VERY light) hone of the block bores should ensure easy assembly. You can also check block bore roundness after the hone. If memory serves, the allowance is .002 inch, liner and bore.

If this truck was intended for a daily runner upon which you depended for your work, I'd say go ahead with new kit, even if it took a while to stash the cash. In your place, I'd do the same thing you're doing, buy what you absolutely have to, clean as much as possible, measure as much as possible and do the best possible job of re-assembly. She'll run fine.

Mark

More
7 years 6 months ago #174887 by wedgetail84
OK did some calling today. Chocs that number is "no longer available" but when googled comes up with cutting edges. So called them in sydney who directed me to a QLD number where I got Zac. He quoted $407 per P&L kit or $120 for a ring set, liner seal, retainers and pin (basically P&L kit with out the P or L). I didn't put any pressure on which I'm sure would yeild something (for both) but I'm still well shy of D&D paid and some earlier figures I've read about. But either way, I'd be saving over $1700 re using my P&Ls, which is significant for me. So I'll get them all cleaned up and ready to go then go to town and measure them and make my decision based on how they come up. Will also check the fit in the block, although don't have the gauge for out of round in the bore, can't you just take a few diameters?

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 6 months ago #174899 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 6v53 reassemble
Wedgy
Gudday M8

here U go
Jist 4 U

[img

Clikity ................................. ClikClikClik

Best O luk O

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 6 months ago #174911 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic 6v53 reassemble
They have moved will try and find their number

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #174912 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 6v53 reassemble

MELBOURNE

Cutting Edges Equipment Parts

117 Metrolink Circuit
Campbellfield VIC 3061

Tel: (03) 9930 5270
Fax: (03) 8339 2281

parts.melbourne@cuttingedges.com

www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.6508292,144....6,114m/data=!3m1!1e3

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Swishy.

More
7 years 6 months ago #174944 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 6v53 reassemble
Wedge,

Can I suggest you clean up the Liners and take them to a machine shop/engine reconditioners and have them measure them with a proper bore micrometer.

It may cost $50.00 but well worth it to save wasting a bunch of cash if the liners aren't in a usable condition.

Time to create page: 0.826 seconds