Skip to main content

Bedford k semi restoration

More
8 years 4 months ago #165120 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Bedford k semi restoration
Old style tyres were "square' unlike more modern rags which have less than 100% profile. The numbers worked like this; width x two minus the overall diameter to give the rim diameter. In this case 32 x 6 = 6.00-20. 34 x 6 was a common size but as it used a 24" rim was phased out early on. The colonies usually had wider tyres than the home market. The makers fitted the skinniest possible tyre to carry the specified load, presumeably to save a few pennys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #165134 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Bedford k semi restoration
Interesting Mammoth. Who dreams up this stuff- (Pommies in brown dustcoats!)
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
8 years 4 months ago #165153 by Pierre
fjwb,
can you tell me what year/model HEI Commodore Distributor your running.

You mention "ignition" - are there changes required at the ignition switch to accommodate the change to HEI?

The 85amp Alternator is that Commodore as well,- Did the new wiring loom include this upgrade to an alternator?

appreciate you feedback
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #165157 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic Bedford k semi restoration
The distributor is a VH commodore Bosch copy distributed by RAE through repco stores. It's a good quality copy. It does require moderate modification depending on your mechanical skills. I went with that dizzy as I had an earlier Holden points dizzy laying around and I knew the shaft would fit the Bedford. I'd advise doing some research which could save you some work, the Holden distributor is designed to spin in the opposite direction to the Bedford which meant I had to reverse the internals so the centrifugal advance worked. Not impossible but I'm sure something easier may be available. The vacuum advance module is also on the wrong side, I didn't bother hooking that up. Ignition upgrade is just a high energy coil to make the most of the electronic ignition.
The alternator is a VN V8 unit. Original gen mounting bracket cut and welded to accommodate the alternator, original top Bedford mount relocated higher than original water pump bolt. Simply mount to a higher bolt (can't remember exactly where). Wiring is simple. Original F wire is connected to the I on new alternator reg. The F wire is connected to D from old regulator which goes to one side of the charge light, nothing else should be on this circuit. S on new reg can connect straight to B+ on new alternator (if the battery is a long distance away or you are running accessory a directly from the battery it should go to the battery + terminal). D wire from gen goes to B+ on new alternator. Run a nice juicy cable from B+ on alt to B+ on starter solenoid or straight to battery. Critically you need to remove the current charge light and replace it with 2 watt max globe or you will instantly kill the regulator on the alternator. You need to remove the alternator pully and insert a thick washer to widen the belt gap.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by fjwb.

More
8 years 4 months ago #165203 by Pierre
Great feedback on those items fjwb. You certainly know your stuff!
I'll take your advice & do some research before I purchase.
Thanks again
Pierre

PS Any chance you can post that photo of the exhaust rear mounting & pipe termination?

Pierre

More
8 years 3 months ago #165288 by fjwb
I'll get the exhaust pics as soon as I can, could be a day or two.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #166921 by fjwb
Just an update. The Bedford has been running really well, been having lots of fun driving it. Only had one problem, when I put the engine back together I had to reuse the head gasket as I couldn't get hold of a new one. I did search and find one just in case. Early last week I noticed it pushing a substantial amount of bubbly water from the radiator and knew it was time for that new gasket. It didn't let me down and was still running fine, so it's now been changed and all is good again. I did find a genuine brake booster, but I'm really happy with the brakes so don't think I'll bother at this stage. The HEI conversion has been brilliant, easy starting and quite impressive fuel economy! The alternator conversion has also solved all the electrical issues. I park it out the front of my business quite regularly and have had quite a number of old blokes drop in to shoot the breeze about their memories, I'm a sucker for good stories! I'll get those photos as promised.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by fjwb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
8 years 2 months ago #166924 by Mrsmackpaul
mate fantastic stuff love a good yarn myself glad its all going good and sounds like your living the dream now

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #167617 by fjwb
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by fjwb.

More
8 years 1 month ago #167618 by Pierre
Thanks fjwb.
No that's fine, everyone is busy these days. I appreciate you taking the time & the photos will be a big help.
Great to hear she's still running ok, those little upgrades obviously were worth it.
Looks fantastic. :)
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

Time to create page: 0.510 seconds