Skip to main content

Aa110 Inter Rebuild and now upgrade

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #166758 by 86xf
G'day Gents,

I thought that I would rip a couple of lines, to say g'day and to compliment you on the progress of the builds.

I'm working on an AA110, what started out as a running ute with a plan for a minor rebuild as blown out, this seems to be common with all car projects. alas, during dis-assembly the block was found to be cracked vertically between piston 5 and 6, the the chassis was seriously damaged around the right hand cab mount.

After discussion within engineer on the repair of the chassis my plan changed, the chassis is now repaired, laminated and partially boxed. The front end has made way for an IFS out of a Jag XJ12, the old Bd240 a garden ornament and has been replaced with a Toyota V8 and auto.

The original diff is still in place, at the moment but subject to guidance might still become a garden ornament as well. I've attached photo, I hope, of the old girl, I have a long way to go and progress will be slow.

With the diff, is the original worth rebuilding?

Cheers Pete
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Sarge.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166759 by asw120
The diffs are usually fine on these. Depends on what ratio it is, whether you will want to keep it. With the duals, it will be off a 120, or 130. (assuming 6 stud wheels). 120 had 4.77, 130 had 4.88. 110 had 4.10., or 3.73. Not sure if they went to 3.73 at AA, or AB 110.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 2 months ago #166782 by Zuffen
On the topic of gearing the 1UZ I run one in my Range Rover and have tried a few different setups.

The car weighs 1990kg, and drives through a Patrol 5 speed and 4.11:1 diffs running 35"tyres.

It cruises at 110kmh at 2,200rpm and I feel this is a little too low.

I'd prefer 25-2700rpm as it would get up the torque curve a bit further and probably be more economical.

It gets 17l/100k in the county. Pretty good for a totally un-aerodynamic beast.

Do some calculation on the rpm before choosing a diff ratio.

Attachments:

More
8 years 2 months ago #166790 by 86xf
Jarrod,

The duals a fake, they are just two rims welded together. The diff is a 4.1 and needs a full rebuild, water instead of oil.

Zuffen,

Thankyou for the feedback, don't laugh, but I'm leaning towards a Hiace diff, it's the same 8" centre as a Hilux, Soarer and Prado, the Hiace is wider than the Hilux diff, and there are tonnes of ratio selections/upgrades.

I'll drop updates ever couple of weeks.

Regards

Pete

More
8 years 2 months ago #167063 by Kruizin
Pete,
Does the truck still have its ID plates that list the gbox and axle models? Look for RA-?? I'm guessing it might be RA-18 maybe?
Cheers,
Col

'73 D1410 4x4 Tray

More
8 years 1 month ago #167665 by wombat 46
Pete,
That is a real nice lookin truck,
keep us posted with all the work!
like the last pic, is it a US bed?
those US guys had the best looking pick up beds!

JIm

More
8 years 1 month ago #167890 by spc383
Cool project mate. The front is sitting sweet. I am contemplating fitting a borg warner 78 or nine inch into mine. One of the main reasons is parts availability. If you bust an axle where do you get another one to get you home? Would be a good time to upgrade yours as well to have a matching stud pattern front to rear. Keep up the great work.

Time to create page: 0.558 seconds