More
7 years 5 months ago #175483 by wombat 46
looking really great
thanks for sharing
Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175825 by geoffa
The original spider rims on the Dodge were all rusted, so as 20 x 5 inch wide spider rims are difficult to find, we removed the centres from disc wheels to get some rims for the restoration.

Attachments:

More
7 years 5 months ago #175836 by asw120
May I ask how you got the centres out? I have tried this recently, to no avail. After drilling all the rivets out, cannot move it 1 mm. It seems the rim is also shrunk on.

Thanks in advance,
Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #175838 by Mrsmackpaul
well the ones I have dont just drop out I did a rim only few nights ago block of wood and a big hammer they come out
then clean them up real good and hammer them with the block of wood into where they need to be
Then I bolt them back up and put a dial indicator which I think is over kill and use a porta to gently shift it till its running straight
I then tack weld them then check the run out again and fully weld them back in

I think they heat the rims in the factory to grow them a bit then just drop the centers in

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175839 by asw120
Thanks Paul. I tried flogging them with an FBH without result. (Inter 120 6 stud singles)
Was going to try tractor bucket next, with besser brick under the centre. I have some with good centres and some with good rims.
I don't think the dial indicator is out there, although I just use a rod clamped to a screw jack and watch for a gap (damn Inter shimmy) at the rim edge and tyre.

I must have another go.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 5 months ago #175857 by geoffa
Firstly we tried drilling a 3 mm hole through the rivet and driving it inwards. It worked but was hard going, we now grind off the rivet heads and drive them outwards quite easily. This works well and we now believe the rivets are tapered. We are able to knock the centre out with hammer in the photo.

Geoff.

Attachments:

More
7 years 5 months ago #175858 by geoffa
The Fargo is getting a pair of late model bucket seats.

Attachments:

More
7 years 5 months ago #175879 by asw120

geoffa wrote: Firstly we tried drilling a 3 mm hole through the rivet and driving it inwards. It worked but was hard going, we now grind off the rivet heads and drive them outwards quite easily. This works well and we now believe the rivets are tapered. We are able to knock the centre out with hammer in the photo.

Geoff.

Thanks for that. I must just be weak, or something!

Cheers, Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 5 months ago #175885 by Mrsmackpaul
Jarrod I dont have a press or anything flash like that but I find with Trewhella jacks and porta powers etc and big trees and big lumps of machinery if I can put lot of force on what ever it is I am trying to shift if it still wont budge I push as hard I can with the jack then hit it as hard as I can with a big hammer almost all things come apart
I think the jacks take the spring out of it so the force of the hammer is a lot greater dunno if thats true or not but it seems to work for me
And some rims I have done take a lot of hammering just to get them to move

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #177389 by geoffa
Some more old pics of the 1937 Dodge.

My father the haystack builder.

My sister and I. Photo taken about 1949.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by geoffa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds