Skip to main content

Fuel type? - 6-281 International

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #169714 by Merrick
Hi all,
Time to fill up again, I've been putting 98 or 95 ULP in my C1200 (with a squirt of lead substitue).
Someone mentioned to me that given it's low-comp this is unnecessary and standard 91 is fine.

What's your thoughts?
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Merrick.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #169717 by wombat 46
Merrick,
91 will be fine,
to get the octane up on 98 the fuel companies put additives
low octane can cause pre ignition or pinging on high comp or turbo engines,
as fuel sits in the tank it looses octane over time

if it is a daily driver try a tank of each and see which gives more mileage, that could be the only benefit i can see
JIm
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by wombat 46. Reason: info

More
7 years 11 months ago #169719 by asw120
95 is slightly less likely to give vapour lock and percolate in the carby, but there's not much in it. In theory, they should just about run on kerosine!

91 definately burns hotter (my bike used to run-on with it), but won't be a problem in a water-cooled engine.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 11 months ago #169747 by bparo
the 281 is only 6 or 7:1 compression so 91 is fine - it's what I have been running on Inters since 2003 (with upper cylinder lubricant). My stationary motors run a similar compression ratio and I haven't had a problem with them either

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
7 years 11 months ago #169749 by Beaver
But avoid ethanol blends

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
7 years 11 months ago #169770 by bparo
I didn't think of ethanol blends as I just avoid them for everything anyway

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #169781 by Mrsmackpaul
Well just to throw the cat among the pigeons I dont reckon there is any problem with ethanol fuels I reckon its all a load of bull I use E 10 in everything no crook seals in carbys no crook fuel lines nothing no drama at all
I reckon people get some problem with some old jigger and blame the ethanol because they replace the seal hose gasket what ever and stop using E10 and never have another problem despite the old gasket was no doubt 20 - 30 or maybe 40 years old
E 10 is cheaper to buy runs just as well doesnt matter a bit about the octane been a tad bit lower as these old jiggers are low compression motors anyway

When I was a young fella hooning around we only had problems with motors pinging when the compression was raised to buggery then if you still wanted to get the full effect of the cam we would run it on Avgas for our serious hooning the rest of the time we would just put the dizzy back around closer to were it was meant to be

So my thoughts for what there worth E 10 is fine dont believe the hype

just saying
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
7 years 11 months ago #169782 by Merrick
Thanks folks.
I'll try 91 next fill and see if there's any difference.

More
7 years 11 months ago #169803 by geoffb
Ran E 85 no problems as Paul said sometimes change is a bit hard to accept

More
7 years 11 months ago #169814 by asw120
I used to run E10 in everything. Had no problems in daily-driven vehicles. Pinged/ran-on no worse than standard in my bike. My old 360 Cherokee wouldn't run on it, though the Studes don't seem to mind.
Now, things that sit around, however........

Ethanol is hygroscopic, I read. I have two bikes with the carby slides glued solid, one with the pistons glued in as well - E10. Old, tired fuel tap seals? You bet, but it never happened with standard ULP. I also seized my yard blower twice on it.

Now I run 95 in all that stuff. E10 should be OK in water-cooled things that don't sit around unused for weeks at a time.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds