Skip to main content

Buy larger CCA battery or buy two & put in series

More
7 years 10 months ago #169895 by Lang
The 6 volt in series was the manufacturer's choice for many trucks, boats and machinery, right up to the 60's. Either 2 for 12v or 4 for 24v.

This was in a time when batteries were less efficient and more importantly, there was not the huge range of sizes available like today. Today 6v batteries are outrageously expensive, can not be easily replaced - in many country towns you would be struggling to find someone with 6v in stock. and can not be used for any other modern purpose. If one dies through old age and you decide to replace the two, as you should, what are you going to do with the possibly good 6v left over?

One big 12v is just two 6v batteries in series conveniently packaged in the same box. Unless you have a 1953 Foden which needs to be original for concourse my vote goes with the blokes recommending the single. Maybe parallel 12v if you do not have the space or can not lift a big battery or you want to rotate the batteries through your car to save them dying between the 6 monthly vintage truck outing. If there are no interfering factors, just choose the size to do the job like you would do with a Postie Bike or mum's Corolla,

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Outback Pat

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #169914 by bparo
Both the XP and the Truck are running singl3 batteries with higher CCA ratings than original. Both are 6 cylinders and running batteries strong enough to start a recalcitrant worked 351. The advantage is the batteries fitted into the original spots so no wiring hassles but have the extra grunt to turn over a motor that has been sitting for a couple of weeks

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by bparo. Reason: fixed grammar

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #170366 by ARmad90
i was going to chime in here being an auto electrician by trade but most of you guys seem to be on the ball so far with the stance on the batteries in older equipment checking starters and cable condition do come into factor but the age of the battery also has to be considered, also the quality of the battery does come into play cheaper batteries tend to be over rated in the CCA compared to the real rating they should have better quality batteries tend to be maybe the more expensive route but better quality by far
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by ARmad90.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bparo, Outback Pat

More
7 years 9 months ago #170721 by Outback Pat
Yep Hayseed, trying to start the cummins. Mate of mine up here suggested 2 x N70 as that what he runs

More
7 years 9 months ago #170722 by Outback Pat
Thanks Lang, originally 4 X 6v and have plenty of room to put one or two large battery if needed

More
7 years 9 months ago #170723 by Outback Pat
Without a doubt some of the wiring size needs to be increased as the wires get warm during starting, plus I reckon one of the earths is buggered. It wouldn't surprise me if the starters is a bit tired, it is an old truck.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #170725 by defective
Hi Pat and All .. Just a thought.... I'm pretty sure you're still running a 335 in her. If so they normally have a de-compression lever which was basically a cold start assist to save wear and tear on the batteries/leads and starter motor The old NT / NTC 335 had a lower compression ratio than any later turbo Cummins, and with that they would labour under cranking and get pretty much no-where without the compression release...they needed to spin up under no compression to allow them to fire when the lever was thrown.

...sometimes people do away with this mechanism (e.g. broken cable) as their truck is working constantly or very regularly and doesn't present itself as an issue until the truck has been left idle for any period and a start up is required. Possibly check that side of things first....all that being attended to should find that a fairly normal pair of truck batteries should start her....everything else otherwise in order.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by defective.

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds