Skip to main content

Rims ain't rims, Sol

More
7 years 11 months ago #169849 by HeyCharger
Well, I'm still learning.
I have 20" wheels on my Thames and Toyota.
Just found out rims on one won't fit the axles on the other.
From what I understand AND PLEASE CORRECT ME if I'm wrong.
The Thames has 8 stud and 275mm PCD.
The Toyota has 8 stud and 285mm PCD.
I believe the stud holes are different diameters too and these holes are at different angles.
How am i doing so far?
Thanks.
Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #169861 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Rims ain't rims, Sol
Rod

I had the same problem with my 1942 Dodge 5 stud to Isuzu 5 stud - look the same but no go.

I invested in one of those plastic sliding finger wheel hole measurers (about $12 I think from Supercheap) and actually found some good Japanese wheels at the truck wrecker to fit. What they are off is anyone's guess. I do think generally metric wheels will not fit old stud patterns (Toyota Landcruiser fits 1940's Chevrolets). Ford F250/350 8 stud changed pitch by a couple of mm a few years ago - Why - ignorance of this fact made me buy a useless set of wheels for my OKA (Ford 8 stud).

As you mentioned, if you do get the right stud pattern the nut taper may be wrong. When I finally got the correct Ford wheels for the OKA I wanted to use the original OKA nuts so the local engineering shop charged $10 per wheel to recut the tapers in the Ford wheels.

If you are looking for a spare for one of your trucks you will just have to measure everything that comes up - my guess anyhow.

Lang
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.396 seconds