Skip to main content

Mack E6 two valve

More
7 years 10 months ago #170261 by Timmsy
Mack E6 two valve was created by Timmsy
Hi, new to forum and leaning to work the site.

Am doing up a 1982 Mack R600 E6 300hp, two valve, with 12 speed triple shaft gearbox. I am working on motor and was wondering if anyone knew the paint code for the engine? It appears a duck egg blue, which doesn't seem right for a tuff old mack truck.

The assistant likes her

I am fitting a Jacobs engine brake and noticed on taking off the rocker covers that the back three look very clean with the front filthy. The Mack has been sitting a long time but starts easy, idles smooth, and smokes only on revving then clears. It doesn't use oil and has good oil pressure. Is this a normal appearance/expected appearance for this motor given sitting a long time? I noticed clean fresh oil in the galleries in the dirty front three.

I have cleaned in preparation of fitting engine brake.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #170262 by Timmsy
Replied by Timmsy on topic Mack E6 two valve
This is a pic of the clan back three (learning the site).

Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #170266 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Mack E6 two valve
Welcome to the forum Timmsy

Happy little helper youve got there
dunno what the correct colour is meant to be mines orange but also yellow underneath Im sure the colours meant something gold was for a Maxidyne
So cant help in the paint department
I would make that as clean as I could before putting it all back together

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Timmsy

More
7 years 10 months ago #170270 by mercskeepmeinajob
Replied by mercskeepmeinajob on topic Mack E6 two valve
When I was in the Factory - Workshop in 86 I seem to remember them being blue.

More
7 years 10 months ago #170272 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Mack E6 two valve
Hi everybody, originally the Maxidyne motors and Gearboxes were all Painted Gold, which was a good long lasting paint which was a lead-based paint. The smart engineers at the time declared that when the motors got hot, the lead fumes would cause health problems with the drivers, as well as the painters in the factories. For a few years from somewhere about 1982 they used the water-based Duck-Egg blue and then later changed to the Grey Colour, which used to be Dulux Anvil Colour in the Pressure Cans. I think it is now a different name but you can still get the same Colour. There were also Red motors which were about the time of the Econodyne series. Cheers - Kav.

More
7 years 10 months ago #170316 by Timmsy
Was cleaning the motor and jacobs brake (Part 675a) I got from the wreckers today and noted once the dirt/grease was off, the Jake spacer was Duck Egg Blue. Must be a real Mack colour, as a few of you have noted.

I am getting the rockers re-faced before fitting it all. The second hand Jake brake came with whole rocker arm assembly with the oil passage, adjusters screws, and o-rings fitted.

Really looking forward to having a good engine brake on the Mack.
Attachments:

More
7 years 10 months ago #170325 by d23j
Replied by d23j on topic Mack E6 two valve
Hi did you see the motor that the Jacks came off? I am looking for the adapter for the tip turbine and breather pipe for an early motor, regards Andrew

More
7 years 10 months ago #170326 by Timmsy
Hi d23j

The engine brake came from "The Truck Wrecker" in Warwick/Thane Queensland. Mr Bob Simpson. 07 4667 4949, mobile 0414 414 403. I haven't been there but he seems to have anything you need. Just from phone calls with him and what has turned up, he has proven tremendous knowledge of trucks, a bit of a Mack Messiah! Very helpful for a younger truck enthusiast, now living interstate, with minimal to very little no-how, (which is why joined forum).

I have a Fir 700 model 320 cool power, with Dynatard. CMV Mack could not get much for it, Bob had everything required.

Hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maxidyne

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #175506 by Timmsy
Hi forum

Have made significant progress to the mack R600 E6.
Have had Jacobs brake fitted, and adjusted. Wow wee works nicely on low, and is impressive on high (nearly had to to reach for seatbelt).
Fitted very nicely, and had a good set of factory instructions/pictures.

Hope you enjoy a few photos.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted Pics

More
7 years 5 months ago #175510 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Mack E6 two valve
Looks good did the motor have Dynatard before you changed to Jacobs ???? if so was the change worth it have heard reports that the Jace brake on these old Macks arent much better than the Dynatard which I have always found hard to believe as Dynatard is usless

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.596 seconds