Skip to main content

Fuel Pump and Filters

More
7 years 8 months ago #172729 by Fill
Fuel Pump and Filters was created by Fill
Hi all
Thanks in advance for your help.When I first got my truck the lift pump slowly got petrol to the carbe, the engine would fire straight away and ran nice.Question one is there a one way valve that you can get to hold the petrol in the petrol line to make easy for the starter motor?
Q2 Is the only way to do this is to put an electric pump on?
Q3 If it is would I have it running all the time?
Q4 A friend of mind was getting a road worthy. He fitted an in line plastic petrol filter and he was knocked backed- they said it had to be metal. Has any one heard of this?
Cheers Fill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #172733 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Fuel Pump and Filters
You could try one of those bulb primer pumps like boat tanks have in line I know a bloke who has done this says it works really well as for the filter have't heard of that one but I had noticed most of the Z15 and !4 filters recently have been metal although the transparent ones are good as you can see if they are full of dirt and replace them before they cause trouble

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by oldgmc.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #172734 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Fuel Pump and Filters
Fill, The couple of those Electric pumps that I have, have a pressure switch in them that when the line is full they stop pumping, once the Motor starts & the pressure drops they start pumping again...
As for being knocked back for a Plastic inline fuel filter, Sounds Like BS to Me.But considering the Nanny state we now live in.
Who knows..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by hayseed.

More
7 years 8 months ago #172736 by Hommie1973
Replied by Hommie1973 on topic Fuel Pump and Filters
Hi Fill, I like your project and have been following your progress to date. Seems the fuel running back or just drying out is a bit of a problem with our older trucks, you can get a valve to put in the fuel line. I bought one off a diesel injection shop for my truck but ended up fitting an cheap electric pump back in the chassis rail near the tank. It is now good to start after sitting a couple of weeks and seems to solve the problem. My truck has a hand primer on the fuel pump but being a Commer cab over it was a pain to get too. Hope this might be of help to you Cheers Hommie.

More
7 years 8 months ago #172739 by dno
Replied by dno on topic Fuel Pump and Filters
You could probably just fit an inline ball-valve tap down near the tank, turn it
off after parking. You just have to remember to turn the fuel on before starting next.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

More
7 years 8 months ago #172740 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Fuel Pump and Filters
After all the pipe work I have done over the last 26 years of owning the hydro farm I would simply go to my irrigation/plumbing supplier and fit a brass non return (check valve if you like) in the fuel line. Cheap and effective, will not allow drain back to a lower tank level

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

More
7 years 8 months ago #172754 by Kwakatriple
Replied by Kwakatriple on topic Fuel Pump and Filters
The valves in your lift pump should stop run back. If they are not sealing then the pump is not working as well as it should so a quick overhaul of the pump should cure all the issues really.

1964 Bedford bus/motorhome
1972 Bedford bus/motorhome
...and sundry other 2, 3 and 4 wheel vehicles...

More
7 years 8 months ago #172755 by Bitsa
Replied by Bitsa on topic Fuel Pump and Filters
What he said ^

1990NKR Isuzu&&1974 D1310 4x4&&195? Chamberlain Dere Backhoe&&743B Bobcat&am

More
7 years 8 months ago #172780 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fuel Pump and Filters
Hi all
Thanks for all your replies. I did not know that you could get a one way valve. I had a look on Ebay- they are very cheep, I also had a look at inline filters- there were some glass ones.Has any one used these?
With the tap idea, that would add a bit of security.The squeeze pump was thinking out side the square- I like that.
Thanks again for all your input, you have given me a bit to think about.
Cheers Fill

More
7 years 8 months ago #172786 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Fuel Pump and Filters
Fill, just don't go too cheap if you go the one way valve, make sure the seal is suitable for petrol as many cheap ones will cark it within days, even allowing bits of seal into your pump.
Another thing is that they are spring loaded, for your application you don't really need the pump to be "fighting" the spring, just screw it open and chuck the spring, will still work fine if you install vertical or near vertical.
I like the security aspects of the ball valve but just know that one day I would be going somewhere in a hurry and forget you know what, leaving me stuck, red faced, in the middle of the first intersection with a double trying to bend his way around me, I am sure you can get the word picture.
That is where an electric pump would come into it's own.
I have an old Toyota ute which is prone to breaking the arms off the fuel pump (design fault, I have done 3) at the wrong moment, last time was on the gateway with a semi hot on my arse at 100 kph. Fortunately I knew immediately and had somewhere to go. Fitted n electric as soon as it came off the tilt tray.
Someone in years ahead is going to be scratching their head when they rebuild it, when they pull the sump off and find the 3 arms in there !

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds