7 years 7 months ago #173805 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic My new ride
Here we are, hope this helps

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #173809 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic My new ride
Assuming that the ignition and fuel are OK (You actually have spark at the plugs and a capfull of fuel down the carby) , sometimes, if they've sat a long time you may have no / insufficient compression. Make sure you have no stuck valves, then if it still won't fire, I have had success with a few squirts of oil in each cylinder, crank for a few seconds, plugs back in and she runs and starts fine after that. Can you do a compression test on it?

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by asw120.

More
7 years 7 months ago #173819 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic My new ride
So yes it is positive earth according to the diagram. My Inter was positive earth until I had another wiring problem I couldn't find so I gave it to an Auto Electician and got them to convert it while it was there. My reason was my wife wants to get a caravan to put behind it so it was easier to convert the one positive earth vehicle that was likely to tow it than convert the van to work with either positive or negative earth. It also means I could fit a radio more easily (No point as you would never hear it) or more likely a CB radio for when I am on the road.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
7 years 7 months ago #174036 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic My new ride
Dean,
PDU here, suffering similarly to you with a 60's Austin 245F - you may have seen my post on this website?
Where are you located?
AND
Do you have any pictures of your 65 ex fire truck?
Message me on mobile: 0422830365
Cheers, Marty, Crystal Brook, SA

More
6 years 6 months ago #187924 by Dean85
Replied by Dean85 on topic My new ride
Sorry bud haven't been on here in about a year didn't see your msg the 65 is sold sorry a young bloke bought it to do a full resto on ,

More
6 years 6 months ago #187925 by Dean85
Finally had some time to drag out the old truck out got the starter motor rebuilt , new. Battery and cleaned the points we now have a decent spark but noticed fuel pumps not lifting fuel up the line so pulled the pump out diagram nacked found a full rebuild kit at classiccarbs.com so hopefully not long now and the old girl will run again

More
6 years 6 months ago #187945 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic My new ride
The generator is easy to change over,but Ive never figured out how to change the Lucas regulator. Positive earth was supposed to lessen battery terminal corrosion,or something.The WW2 GMCs changed from negative to positive ,then back to negative again in about 12 months.The important polarity item is the coil,negative earth makes for a stronger spark,and I think why the change to neg.A lot of bigger pommy trucks has insulated earth return,usually for 24v systems.That makes things tricky.

More
6 years 2 months ago #190500 by Dean85
Thanks all for your help rebuilt the fuel pump, now we have spark to all plugs, fuel coming in to the carbie but still no joy she cranks over fine have also tryed tow starting her when under tow it seems to be running but once you put the clutch in it dies any ideas or tricks I could try
Thanks dean
Ps I think the old girl is growing on me I can see it sticking around a Long time can’t wait to get it on a club Reg and go for a Cruse

More
6 years 2 months ago #190501 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic My new ride
I'd check the Timing First..
If the doesn't work Then run a Compression test..
You're 2/3rds of the way there with Spark & Fuel,

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds