Skip to main content

Wanted. 1418 Mercedes Benz bumper bar.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166503 by geoffa
I am looking for an original front bumper bar for a 1971 1418 Mercedes Benz conventional cab truck.

Geoff.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #171211 by geoffa
Still looking for a bumper bar for a bonneted 1418.

I bought a used 1418 Mercedes Benz prime mover in Jun 1973 from Yorkstar Motors. in Milperra, Sydney. It had been owned by Farley and Lewers and was painted in their fleet colours of "lolly pink". I wasn't game to take it home looking like that in case some of my mates saw me. ( be like driving a Volvo, Swishy). I had it repainted in what was said to be Carnation Red ( I now think it was Welland Red, a GMH colour of that time)

I knew some who had bought a long wheelbase 1418 new and had used it for a year or two. Some months before I bought mine, he had decided he would rather have a prime mover and shortened his back to a standard MB prime mover wheelbase. I bought everything he had removed when he shortened his. Two pieces of chassis rail, tailshaft, exhaust pipe and even the piece of rod for the handbrake plus the 23ft tray from his when it was a long rigid truck.

In effect I rebuilt a truck the same as he had. I sold this truck in 1974 to someone in Junee. NSW. I have tried to find it without success.

I have bought another 1418 to use as a base to build a lookalike to the 1418 I had. This truck has an aluminium bull bar but I would like to fit it with an original bumper bar to take a photo for old times sake. We have made a start by cleaning up and repainting the tray.

Geoff.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by geoffa.

More
7 years 10 months ago #171216 by hayseed
Geoff, I hope you still have that Number Plate from the green truck...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 10 months ago #171219 by geoffa
Hayseed,

Yep. Pretty good isn't it.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172102 by Buc
Geoff,
Got a lead on one down my way.
Not the best I've seen - but reasonable.
Not dented but has pitting where the aluminium scuff plates used to be.
Might be ok if you are willing to put some work into it.
Does belong to another user on this forum.
If your keen - PM your contact number and I'll tell old mate to contact you.
Regards, Buc.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #175562 by geoffa
We have started to turn the green Mercedes Benz into a red one. It was not supposed to be a restoration just a tidy up and a colour change. Yeah right.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by geoffa.

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds