Skip to main content

Leyland Contractors, ours and yours: Some Qustions

9 years 2 months ago #13000 by
In reply..
Tacho - if you were on Hanson Rd,heading towards the Port River Xpressway from Grand Junction Rd..it is on your RHS before you hit Cormack Rd..
Mammoth-I actually thought Rhodes when I first saw it and,having no knowledge of these jiggers,accepted Ol mates version of it's original owner..which leads me to
CemeNTepede..
- I reckon you blokes probably know a lot more about these units so apologies if myself or Ol mate Vince got it wrong... :D
As an aside,as a mad collector of diecast models I first knew these as a Scammell ( Matchbox Super Kings) before I actually saw a Leyland virtually the same at nearby Puckapunyal when I was growing up.. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #13001 by Nicky
Just a heads up that I've just put some pics up of a scammell I have in the trucks for sale section, if anyone is interested. :) Cheers.

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1423273953/0

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #13002 by Tatra
903CAM,

Thanks for those pics - nice to see it's still alive. I wish the same case applied for Israel but I only know of 2 IDF Contractors kept in collection (Armour Corps and Transport Corps respectively), none of which in roadworthy condition... :(

The only operative IDF Contractors are in Laos and I will have more information later...

For keeping this at the top, here's a couple more pics (via Koby Fuchs/Guy Adelist) of an Israeli-assembled Leyland Ashdod Contractor at the Eilat Port (Red Sea). You can just about spot a flinstone Mack at the back, those were assembled in Israel after Leyland Ashdod became Mack Ashdod. The B61 is an import. Right at the top left there's what I think is an Autocar "Monster", one of 20 powered by Cummins VT430 and not seen elswhere. Those were used to tow potash roadtrains but were not a great success.

It's fitted with a Cummins 335, judging by the air filter and (like almost all Israeli Contractors) has a 15sp Fuller RR box.

Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Tatra.

More
9 years 2 months ago #13003 by Tatra
And a couple more taken by Yossy Shinuk who owned that one way back - it was "contracted" by the IDF to supply water to its camps in southern Lebanon. Yes, it can get snowy in the Middle East...

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #166954 by Tatra
Pulling this back up again - Rex, any progress on the 8X4? I'm on a FB Scammell group and some pics of the recovery when you got one of them (as well as others) were posted there, so it would be good to know:)

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Tatra.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166956 by Mrsmackpaul
Is that snow in the second last picture ?????

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 2 months ago #166987 by Tatra
It is indeed - it does snow in Lebanon (and Israel in the north and the higher parts)...

More
8 years 2 months ago #166999 by Dave_64
Tatra,
Read your posts with interest, especially your local variations of what were common vehicles over here. Every now and then you throw in something a little different. The locally produced Autocar which were powered with the VT430 Cummins, I always took them to be an earlier version of a marinised 903 ??

Up to roughly what year were they still being assembled (or built) over your way? Also the 'ASHDOD' conglomerate (?) seems to have had a finger in many pies. Leyland? Mack? Scammell as well as Autocar?

I notice that quite a bit of heavy stuff was of US origin, (or Brit) for the IDF. Arms embargo?

More
8 years 2 months ago #167020 by rex
Hello Tatra
About to put her in the shed and start, managed to buy the new cab Nicky had for sale along with an ex Army Contractor in pretty sad condition. I have a spare AEC 1100 engine in case the one that is in the Truck has problems.
Is it possible to join the Scammell group ?
Due to our business being Heavy Over dimension Transport we do a Calendar each year showing a load for each Month, September 2016 is a shot of the Contractor on the back of a Low loader coming home from Robertson.
I will see if we can download the picture onto the Forum, thanks for your interest will need to learn how to post pictures as the work begins the good thing is I have to share the Shed with two of our Son's as they begin the work on the F500 and F 600 Ford's.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
8 years 2 months ago #167042 by ianoz
OffTopic .Huuummm Rex , I think we bought a B61 Mack from the same guy you got the 8 by 4 from .

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds