Skip to main content

'V' Bus luverz dun clik here

More
7 years 9 months ago #172886 by rex
Replied by rex on topic 'V' Bus luverz dun clik here
Swishy mate
You are correct we have been at the Coal face, many times with excessive weights.
Tyre size we are currently using 315 80 R 22.5 Tyres on some prime movers, 295 80 R 22.5 0n the balance of our prime movers. Using Michelin Multi D drive tyres, our Volvo's simply tear the rubber clean off any thing other than a Michelin. If we were to reduce the tyre pressure below the recommended level, then the adhesion offered by the tyres we use coupled with the torque generated from our Volvos would distort the tyre to the extent it would cause separation.
We are comfortable with our tyre wear with the 700 Volvo's in counterweighted application the michelin's are returning around 45,000 from a set of drive tyres.
My final comment is I buy trucks to make money and Volvo's make me money.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173273 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic 'V' Bus luverz dun clik here
Well Truck fans ,Who is going to win ?

Part two , The verdict

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #173282 by Dave_64
Well, what a let down!
At first I thought it was going to be a boots and all expose of two of the heavyweights, a-la Mohammed Ali vs George Foreman, knock down, drag-em-out slugfest.
All I determined was that it was obviously promoted to a certain extent by a major fuel company. 61 Tonnes doing the triangle? Blokes on here who would have done that on any weekly basis, standing on their heads! Week in and week out. I have read more into Swishy and Rex's verbal jousts!
About the only conclusion I could come to was that the Volvo is the more comfortable and the Kenworth has a better sleeper set up. Could have seen that if I wanted to go to a truck show.
Sorry, Guys. If that was supposed to be a contest for supremacy, to my mind it failed miserably as entertainment. Did they travel on ANY dirt? Not even a decent load! And as far as a testing route, not a reasonable mountain range in sight, all major highways. Was the object of the exercise for the public to vote on a victor?
Wonder what the old time truckies of yesteryear would have read into it? Even the sit-in-the-roadhouse-pat-me-on-the-back-and-tell-me-how-good-I-am lot who used to hold court in the old Bimbo's, the Crazy House and even the old Tarcutta stops would have thought? Probably ripped it to shreds!
And NO! this is not any rant directed at Ianoz for posting it up, that's what the whole idea of forum topics are about. Have a gripe, chuck something up and see what reaction is received, get shot down in flames for making rash statements or being misleading. Not that this subject was misleading in any way.
Maybe I'm too hard to please, but as far as straight out entertainment to this reader, the old black and white videos of early OZ transport and road construction were absolute gems compared to this. Ah! There's the issue! It is obviously just me, hopelessly out of date and still can't get past the sixties-seventies. And I don't mind getting a belt around the ears for making a blue or two.
Thanks for letting me vent my spleen.
Dave_64
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Dave_64.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 8 months ago #173286 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 'V' Bus luverz dun clik here
Davo
Gudday M8

SMe again

Eye concur wiff most U say
but cummin from my mouth eye would B biased towards the yanky iron
n theres only so much movement generated from a bucket of deezel
n the best truck iz the one th@ has good backup n service close by for wen thingz go rong
(guess th@ leaves the 'V'Bus mob out of the race)
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 8 months ago #173287 by ianoz
Basicly i posted it up to show when it is all said and done ,there is very little between them . Comes down to owner preference .
I thought it strange that if it was supposed to be a comparission, the first thing on most peoples minds would be price .
Friend of mine recently priced three identical specced prime movers . Kenworth being the most expensive , Western Star , in the middle and Freightliner the cheapest . The different was about $100000 .
We all know how tough it is to make a dollar these days . as far as profit margin goes how does anyone justify paying 100 grand more for a Kenworth badge ?

More
7 years 8 months ago #173288 by Dave_64
Ianoz,
"I thought it strange that if it was supposed to be a comparision,"
If there were any offence taken , then I unreservedly apologise. The reply was directed at the gist of the video's NOT the person who posted them!
However, I make no apology for comments made about the video(s) but would point out that to most people following this particular thread, that a comparison would be inevitable. After all, there has been lively discussion for quite some time now between the two makes of vehicle, sometimes quite amusing.
I don't know who made the actual video's, I think that's irrelevant. In the past we have had similar "comparisons", one that comes to mind is the International vs Dodge.
I think that in the past we have all contributed postings, wherever they have been lifted from and posted them in good faith, often to have them dissected.
I am of the firm belief that anything posted on these forums is for open discussion, whoever the poster may be, providing it's done in the correct manner.
I reiterate, there was no intention to single out anyone for a lashing, it was the gist or guts of the video I was railing against.
I do take your point about cost comparisons, again, that would be a major factor involved. Aside from that you are probably correct, there is not a great deal of difference between the two makes. I just wonder if the video wasn't made for a comparison, what was the real point of it?
Cheers, Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #173289 by mammoth
Dave, the real comparison was in a write up which ran over a lot of pages in 2 issues of Owner Driver magazine and the video is more of a promo for that. They used the triangle because for most b double jiggers the reality is that is where they stack up the k's in the first years of their life. Would have been more interesting if it was up and down the New England for instance. Once the V gets the big cab back The K might be in trouble sales wise. The other issue hinted at in the paper ( bearing in mind that big numbers of drivers are no longer spring chickens) is that getting in and out of the K cab remains a health hazard and that plans to address it .need to be brought forward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #173290 by ianoz
Hey Dave , To Offend me , First you would have to say something Offensive ,, and I certainly don't read it that way .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

• Swishy
More
7 years 8 months ago #173334 by Swishy
U lot can B very Off Fence Sive

wen Use n the 'V'Bus word

Tiz almost a four letter word

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cya

• Swishy
More
7 years 8 months ago #173401 by Swishy
Jist az eye thort

https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13887086_242485206150425_7391710580392983405_n.jpg?oh=cfa7b21eb4c379ae13103259cb762553&oe=5822C23E

Thanx Eeeeeeeee n Oz

Cya

The following user(s) said Thank You: ianoz

Time to create page: 0.643 seconds