Skip to main content

Dodge D3F

More
8 years 2 months ago #166889 by Dave_64
Dodge D3F was created by Dave_64
Hi All,
Bloke recently loaned me a full workshop manual for a D3F Dodge, (NOT for sale!) for a bit of a squiz at and after reading same thought this must have been some sort of oddball or at least a stopgap measure between models. I was familiar with earlier L.A.D. Dodges as in 10 series with petrol engines and even later in about the mid seventies the Commer/Dodges with the 555 Cummins (?). Bloke who loaned the book THINKS they only came out for a very limited time, perhaps around 1972-1974 but he said he wouldn’t bet the farm on it. Book was printed 1975, but that may or may not mean anything. I reckon it must be before Dodge got into bed with Fuso and those rebadged jiggers, or was it U.D or Hino?? I had not had anything to do with them before reading this manual.
Anyway, seems what we have here is a bit of a “cosmopolitan” breed. Oz made 245 or 318 petrol engine, later went to U.S. made LA 318’s or the 6:354 Perkins in series 1 or 2, turbo/naturally aspirated. Back end was what appears to be the Chrysler Corporation 10” single speed on the smaller 400-500-550’s, Larger 600-650 look to have the Eaton two speed in two different ratings, transmission was the 5speed NP540 or 541 in larger trucks. What surprised me was they had a listing for early 6:354 series 2 engines and a FOUR speed box. At first glance I thought it was the ubitquous NP435 which was of course Chryslers own gear division and which had been in use for nearly thirty years. Upon closer reading I see they were called the “C.U.K.” transmission which I would say stood for ‘Chrysler United Kingdom’, looked a little like a Turner, but I’m no expert.There’s even a reference to Spicer but nothing in the transmission section. Where the cabins were pressed is anybody’s guess, England I suspect as there is provision for left or right hand drive. So we have an OZ or US scourced petrol engine, English diesel engine and transmission, either UK or US diffs and unknown body pressings, probably not all that out of the norm when you look at Bedfords with G.M’s but that would have been more in keeping it in-house??
Anyone ever had anything to do with these D3F’s, what were they like, doesn’t seem to be much interest in them, not like the 10 series, or the popular conventional AT4-D5N’s ??
Maybe that’s what they were, an anomaly, a stopgap between models. At the time Chrysler were just about to shut the gate, did so a few short years after, one last throw of the dice type of thing. Wonder how many of them survive? Bound to be someone who has had a bit to do with them.
Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166891 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Dodge D3F
i thought they were popular and very surprised they were only made for two years. There's a few round here, I've had a bit to do with the neighbour's one. I've heard a few people say they were the best of the dodge medium duties and very well made/capable (as in much better than a D5N, but it's not fair as the d3f was a newer truck). Pretty sure the bodies (in fact I thought the whole truck) were french. Maybe they were the fore-runner to the dodge/renault connection?

One of the young blokes here borrowed the next door D3F to transport some goats (filled the 20' crate chockers) - was going up a real steep pinch in 1st low and the perkins just couldn't do it - ran out of go and died. Not sure but somehow (maybe as he was frantically trying for reverse or something) he snapped an axle, then the brake ran out of air (treadle valve pedal) and he had a very hairy high speed run back down and managed to get it off the road at the swithback. The manager was following in his own (smart new hino) but was wisely keeping his distance (as you would from a perkins powered overloaded truck in very rough steep terrain) was amazed he didn't roll it. Although somehow a couple of the smarter billies managed to climb up and out of the crate and left the scene real quick. Pretty sure it was an eaton diff as he got a new shaft pretty quick and easy

More
8 years 2 months ago #166899 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Dodge D3F
Wedgey,
That bloke may have given me a bum drum, as a bit further research has tossed up that the D2F was the Commer/Dodge cab. The D3F went right through to the end so it would appear. French Connection? You are quite probably right as all I had was the workshop manual to go on. Weren't a bad looking truck, or so I thought. I may have been misled by the reference to both right and left hand drive models and thinking that Perkins, Eaton and C.U.K. I would have leaned towards English but also been made for Europe. But French would make sense equally as well.
Be interested to learn a little more about them.
Cheers, Dave

More
8 years 2 months ago - 2 years 1 month ago #166907 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Dodge D3F
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by overnite.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166911 by Dave_64
Yeah, don't mind the look of them.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166915 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Dodge D3F
At the time of the LAD models Dodge UK (Kew) ran it's own race, with the cab design shared between Leyland, Albion & Dodge. Then there was Commer, which after strikes at the Rootes parent owned British Motor Pressings and over investment in new assembly & paint plant got into financial trouble. They were bought out by Chrysler who wanted a foothold into Europe. They promptly dumped the knocker motor and badged Commers as their own. The D3F I believe is a lighter version of the Commer Commando (idstbc) to fit in with Aussie GVM levels and was already in production at the time of the buyout. It also probably has a lot of Aussie content to dodge tarrifs applicable at the time. Chrysler trucks got into trouble in the UK so Renault took over and hence the French connection. Not long after they too got into trouble and closed the UK operation - so there could have been a what if of UK built Macks!! (again). At this time Volvos were being assembled in Scotland so they never had a chance.
So, the basis of the D3F was a quality British truck (at the time the anti corrosion treatment of the cab was world class) spoilt by 2nd rate components from a succession of foster parents that didn't care.

More
8 years 2 months ago #166935 by Dave_64
Mammoth,
Just re-read your post this D3F, , I may have mistaken "C.U.K." for Chrysler U.K , whereas it possibly should have been Commer U.K??
Don't know why but I was under the impression that Chrysler had already taken over the Rootes Group? Possibly because I had a late sixties Humber Vogue which was badged as part of the Group, but I am thinking it may have also had the Chrysler tag on the firewall.

Also my parts book (1975) shows the 4 and the 5 speed boxes (both direct) as option in the larger models, but NOT the 6 speed overdrive which I take to be the Commer box. Was there any direct link to the Turner boxes?
You also noted that the cab was up to scratch, but the componentry let them down somewhat. I also found a reference (but not a section in the manual) to the optional fitting of the GM 6V53 as well as the Fuller RT610, I gather that came later than 1975 when my manual was produced. I realise that Eaton (Fuller) who would have supplied alternative gearboxes as well as diffs could have been either of English or Yank origin??
So where was the weak link, the 6:354 series 1 and 2 ?? I am only going on Wedgetails post about the young bloke running out of steam with the load of goats on. Overloaded? Must have been pretty steep if in 1st low?

Dave

More
8 years 2 months ago #167013 by 14B-Beaver
Replied by 14B-Beaver on topic Dodge D3F
Around 1976 the boss called me in to tell me he had just ordered two new Dodge trucks. When I questioned him what Models, he was pretty vague but did say they were Cab over, which I assumed to be the D3F. The day I went to pick the first one up, it turned out to be a FM104J Dodge Fuso. All I can say, is that both the Fuso's turned out to be brilliant trucks. 152HP against 131HP. I'll attach the Spec Sheets for both, and note how expensive they weren't.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
8 years 2 months ago #167015 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Dodge D3F

Dave_64 wrote: So where was the weak link, the 6:354 series 1 and 2 ?? I am only going on Wedgetails post about the young bloke running out of steam with the load of goats on. Overloaded? Must have been pretty steep if in 1st low?

Dave

I'm interested in this too - what was second rate about the components? Or was it just that the rest of the market used those components at the time so it pulled them down (so commer was a cut above the rest?) to the average level?

I wouldn't take my my second hand experience as much of a take anyway - it's had a long hard life in this steep rough country. The engine was replaced but does seem to run ok, but the whole thing is long over due retirement. It was without a doubt properly overloaded and that track is very very steep - you can't get up it in a 2wd truck empty, just skids too much. It's also rough, has massive cut aways and turns a sharp corner so you can't get a run up... But the only other track is so steep no truck can negotiate it so we're left with facing that pinch!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
8 years 2 months ago #167025 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Dodge D3F
...A little off topic, but fiddling recently with the 1948-1960 cabover Mk 1 to Mk 1V Commers, I certainly believe they were a well built truck for their era. The petrols seemed to hang together better than the diesels....possibly due to the fact they weren't asked to do as much over extended operations, and periods of time .

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds