Skip to main content

Further Mack Chat

More
7 years 9 months ago #172320 by Timmsy
Replied by Timmsy on topic Further Mack Chat
Hi Maxidyne

I think 1980 was around the last few of these fir700 before the Cruiseliner appeared.

Mines an all Mack driveline, 320 cool power with dynatard, 10 speed Mack triple countershaft gearbox, and camelback diffs/suspension.

When travelling bobtail it would break your back teeth, travelling very rough, yet trailer on bearable. I have put a new fancy Isri air seat in her and the ride has become enjoyable again. On the R model chassis and standard power steer, overall is pretty liveable classic truck.

Mine will get a new paint job soon and will post some before and after pictures.

Go the Classic Macks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maxidyne

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #172669 by d23j
Replied by d23j on topic Further Mack Chat
I have a similar Fir700 no sleeper with air seat and new cab shocker and new front springs and it kills me to drive to far. I have a hip problem and I would love to do something with the rear springs but don't want to fit air bag yet unless I can find some on Mack diffs. Has anyone tried lighter rear springs?
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by d23j. Reason: Spelling

More
7 years 9 months ago #172703 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Further Mack Chat
With these old things, is it possible to just take out every other leaf? (pretty much what I did with the ASW), or is there more to it?

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 9 months ago #172726 by Timmsy
Replied by Timmsy on topic Further Mack Chat
I have seen some of these Mack F models with a couple of shock absorbers fitted at the back of the cab, as an aftermarket custom system.
Not sure how effective, but assume could not make worse.

For me a modern air seat has done the job!

Cheers Timmsy.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #172771 by Maxidyne
Replied by Maxidyne on topic Further Mack Chat
I finally fitted the new foot valve and treadle then used my bosses tilt tray to build up some air Friday night. She started first pop at 70psi after sitting for over a month.

Re the rear springs, not sure if I have mentioned this here before... I have two ideas, keeping in mind I'm going to fit a beaver tail tray and carry my race car. So it'll probably only ever carry 3 tonne over the rear.

I'm going to order some shorter u-bolts and then remove all but the 3 main leaf's for a start (44,000) rear.

My other thought to test this idea first is to just move the top two shortest leaf's to immediately above the main leaf's to see how it rides without having to spend money on ubolts.

I'm also considering placing some acetal (tough engineering plastic) spacers less than 3mm thick between the 3 mains in the ubolt area to remove some of the interleaf friction to loosen up the ride even more.

Need to keep in mind that Spring packs without shock absorbers, rely on interleaf friction to dampen out excessive bounce. Just need to find the time...
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Maxidyne. Reason: Added a pic

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #172772 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Further Mack Chat
Maxi
GuddayM8

Not sure ifn U mentioned U B ride n on Mack Camel Back Springs
if so
Mack produced an air bag adaptor to iron out the bumps wen fitted to the camel back spring
they were fitted to the army macks cos of the troops in the back of mack were suffer n with
kidney bruise n etc from the ruff ride wen there twaz no weight on the springs 2 make m flex

FWIW
Our Mack FR700 8x4 Tilt Tray truck
has the lay across seat to sleep
wen U hit a decent bump in the road U need to duck n pull u're head in
az it would punch U up into the roof

[img

Clikity . ClikClikClik

LOL
TheJoyzOfMotorin

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Swishy.

More
7 years 9 months ago #172774 by d23j
Replied by d23j on topic Further Mack Chat
I have been trying to find out about fitting air assist but I like the idea of the nylon slipper, it works on bus springs.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #172831 by Maxidyne
Replied by Maxidyne on topic Further Mack Chat

Swishy wrote: Maxi
GuddayM8

Not sure ifn U mentioned U B ride n on Mack Camel Back Springs
if so
Mack produced an air bag adaptor to iron out the bumps wen fitted to the camel back spring
they were fitted to the army macks cos of the troops in the back of mack were suffer n with
kidney bruise n etc from the ruff ride wen there twaz no weight on the springs 2 make m flex

FWIW
Our Mack FR700 8x4 Tilt Tray truck
has the lay across seat to sleep
wen U hit a decent bump in the road U need to duck n pull u're head in
az it would punch U up into the roof

Clikity . ClikClikClik

LOL
TheJoyzOfMotorin

cya

G'day Swishy,
Thanks for the info. So did the air bag go between the spring and trunion?
Your F model looks fantastic.

I was pizzing orange for a couple days after my Nullarbor trip due to the ultra short wheelbase...
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Maxidyne.

Time to create page: 0.495 seconds