Skip to main content

Old Film Footage Australian Transport

More
7 years 8 months ago #173021 by Lang
I am sure this went up a couple of years ago but I can not find it. Worth another look anyhow.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Maxidyne, Tacho

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173136 by Morris
Thanks for the memories, Lang.
It was great to see footage of the pre-World War 2 Thornycrofts and Leylands. That is the best footage I have seen of Kurt Johannson's self steering four axle trailers, made from war surplus vehicles. I met Kurt and his Son at the Grand Opening of the Road Transport Hall of fame in Alice Springs, several years ago. I had not seen footage of "Toots" Holzheimer, arguably our best outback lady truck driver, before. Sadly, she was killed when a load she was removing from her truck fell on her.

It was good to see the Bedford SB bus and also the "Sausage" (Flxible Clipper) bus.

The footage from Bald Mountain was a bit hard to follow.

Regards,
Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
7 years 8 months ago #173138 by Lang
Here is another interesting one.

More
7 years 8 months ago #173139 by Skipjack
Thanks, Lang, you took me back a good few years with those films. Some of that ol' iron, looked like an ant tuggin a loaf of Wonder Bread, didn't have power enough to go nor brakes enough to stop, just amazing any of us lived to be old enough to drink legally.... The last OTR truck I drove had 600 horsepower in front of an 18 speed auto shift, all the comforts of home, had ta turn the radio down to hear the engine. Thought I'd died an gone to heaven.

Cheers, and thanks again,

Mark

Time to create page: 0.446 seconds