Skip to main content

Cummins vt190 and 555 difference

More
7 years 5 months ago #175649 by rex
Swishy mate
Where are you, the man needs help.
One nice green 6V 53 Screamer will fit just nice, will never grab a con rod on the crank provided you keep a 44 gallon drum of oil up the back. It is best if you add a float switch in the sump to allow the oil from the 44 to maintain the correct level.
Otherwise I must admit, difficult as it is in this case comparing the small Cummins 504 or 555 the GM is a better engine
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175663 by Brocky45

1950d owner wrote: Gday mate just wondering where the engine number is located at thanks

On my 504 the data plate is on the left(our drivers) side about in the center just above the oil pan attachment lip.
Also on Ron Kirk the village/city of Grenfell may be in Queensland rather than NSW as I said earlier. He said he was about an hour and a half west of Sydney.. He has worked for Cummins most of his life and should be able to answer your questions. Email me at brocky45@prtcnet.com and I can send you his email addy.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175675 by Brocky45
1950 D
I have found out a little more information for you.. the 2050A&B's were 555's.. The later ACCO's had the VT190 which was a 504. Look at yours, IF it has a turbo on top it is a VT190. The only VT555's were marine engines.
Now for the bad news: a used VT190 will run about $4-5000 and a 555 about $2,000 and fitting it would be $1500 to $2000. I am assuming these figures are Aussie dollars. I am also a guessing that if you find a 555 crank and rods you would have to use the 504 pistons as I presume there is a dome difference for the extra air a turbo will jam into the cylinder???
If you contact a Cummins dealer (maybe in the US) there is a good possibility that parts books and shop manuals are still available which will tell you if your skills can make what you have rebuildable??
Keep us posted on your decisions/progress
Brocky

More
7 years 5 months ago #175699 by 1950d owner
Ive just been given a dt466 engine. Its acco spec. What are they like. This cost me nothing.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175745 by wouldyou
Had expected some one with more knowledge would have replied, my brother had a 2350? and liked it.
GM Diesel who used to frequent here put in a good word for them, it will be longer than the V8's.
David.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175746 by Mrsmackpaul
I dunno me ass from elbow as most on here will know but lets hear from people smarter than me

www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/...tionals-dt466.21425/

www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/23...466-life-expectancy/

www.dieselhub.com/tech/dt466.html

In my uneducated opinion I reckon they aint a bad motor not as good as some and a heck of lot better than others and the fact they are still made today has gotta speak volumes I reckon but as Swishy say ,watta I know ??

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 5 months ago #175750 by defective
IMHO .. every engine ever offered up by any manufacturer is usually up to the job....until you ask too much from it.....

More
7 years 5 months ago #175752 by 1950d owner
Thanks for the replies just wondering if anyone has a workshop manual for sale cheap

More
7 years 5 months ago #175753 by Mrsmackpaul

defective wrote: IMHO .. every engine ever offered up by any manufacturer is usually up to the job....until you ask too much from it.....

no one in Australia would ever do that LOL , and yeah I think your 100% correct with what you are saying

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 5 months ago #175763 by hayseed
Those Dt466's had a Good name (or ay least I never heard anything bad about them)
Unless you also have the Truck that the Motor came out of for Parts I'd imagine it to be a fairly involved Job, changing It over.
As has already being mentioned They're quite a bit longer than the Little V8 Cummins & you would have to move the Gearbox & cross members Back to make it Fit..

Good luck..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds