Skip to main content

Overland Tractor

More
7 years 6 months ago #175591 by Tacho
Overland Tractor was created by Tacho
A 1916 Overland converted to a tractor using a couple of Stripper wheels mounted on a wagon axle beam and driven by spur gears fitted to the diff drive. Made by a farmer/ engineer in Northern SA.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, towball

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #175592 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Overland Tractor
That's truly inventive, I wonder if he had seen the T model conversions

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #175594 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Overland Tractor
Those Overlands were way ahead of their time (second largest car sales in the world after Ford). They had a transaxle (like a Porsche or Alfa?) and heaps of power. A much heavier and more robust vehicle than a Ford or the other popular vehicles of the time .They had electric start - very few vehicles had that. I am sure the farmer above did not stuff around with batteries and just cranked it

I took the same model on a 6,000km drive from Brisbane to Birdsville, up to Normanton, Cairns and home for Prostate Cancer. Never missed a beat at about 75kph.

Lang
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Lang.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175596 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Overland Tractor
Hope it did what they wanted, the problem would be in keeping the gear segments on the wagon wheels meshing with the drive pinions. With a tapered axle and hub the adjustment for play is by washers behind a pinned cap.
Thanks for the photos Tacho and to the owners for keeping it in a shed.
Lang would 1920 be close for the Overland?
David.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175599 by Lang
No ours was 1915, the individual cylinders ended in 1916 when they went to monoblock engines. The "tractor" could not be later than that either.

Lang

More
7 years 5 months ago #175600 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Overland Tractor
..I'm tipping that's your son in the picture Lang...can see a pretty strong resemblance ?

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #175601 by Lang
My missus (she drove the rescue Landcruiser which we never needed) but no sons, 2 daughters. It is a good mate Carl Neilsen who had his prostate removed at 39. We talked to about 2,000 people on the trip and Carl's story really made blokes sit up and take notice. Everyone thinks prostate cancer is an old man's disease. We gave no medical advice, just told them to go and get a check-up.

Lang
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: defective

More
7 years 5 months ago #175607 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Overland Tractor
you jokers I dunno I reckon stay away from the doc your having a great day until you see the doc then he is only ever full of bad news
Anyway who wants to live forever anyway LOL you wackas :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 5 months ago #175612 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Overland Tractor
..well ol' mate .. I reckon you're completely WRONG !!!!

More
7 years 5 months ago #175618 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Overland Tractor
Bit of a hijack but a frequent visit to the Doc may start a lousy day, an infrequent visit may turn into a VERY BAD day.
My brother now has a bag for exhaust, ignored signs things were not right and ended up being very lucky to still be alive.
That got me a check up and possibly saved me from the same, colonoscopy found 3 large polyps. On a 3 year colonoscopy check now.
No tough guy here.
Cheers Steve

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds