Skip to main content

WheremEye

More
3 years 2 days ago #220668 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic WheremEye
Backtracking to Waikerie (which I had identified in the first 2 seconds), there are two sizes of punt in SA, and that was a long.
While any punt will take trucks, there are two which are more frequented than others: Waikerie (Riverland fruit to WA?) and Swan Reach (the most direct route for Loxton - Adelaide).
Other truck punts were so overtaxed that construction of bridges was warranted:
* Sturt Hwy at Blanchetown: had been twin punts. The 1960s bridge succumbed to concrete cancer, and a more recent one (1980s or 90s) was added.
* Sturt Hwy at Kingston/Cobdogla: had been twin punts.
* Berri wasn't on a main interstate route, but also had twin punts replaced with a bridge.
All punts operate 24/7/365, and are free. At the quieter ones during late-night hours, the operator may well be dozing in a cabin. Drivers of vehicles arriving on the other bank press a bell, and the punt will be brought across.
Roderick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 days ago #220670 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic WheremEye
Now that really hurts, Waikerie, home territory and I missed out. When I first saw it I could think of about half a dozen possibilities off the top of my head and then Googled it to check, even wrote down my prime suspects, see below . . .

. . . but have just got back to see how things were going. Think I'm not miffed about it? Waikerie was going to be my next try, but decided to wait for a rejection, and got caught up with other things - the rest is now history. :oops: Well done Lang, you deserve it. ;)
Attachments:

More
3 years 2 days ago - 3 years 2 days ago #220673 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic WheremEye
Just a note on Mairjimmys Burdekin correct answer.

If you are ever in the Townsville/Charters Towers region it is well worth the drive. You can get out to the south via the dam. The quiz photo shows going down to the wall and you can just see a narrow ramp at the bottom. This turns sharp left and goes as a single lane right against the wall across the bottom of the spillway. Obviously if they are releasing lots of water it is a no-go.

The first photo shows the rolling road across the bottom. In the second photo you would need to put your wipers on to get across.

Love the vegetation contrast between wet and dry seasons in this area of Australia.

Lang

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 2 days ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mairjimmy, PaulFH

More
3 years 2 days ago - 3 years 2 days ago #220675 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic WheremEye
Camped there in 1995 so l did have a Memory of the ramp going around and running across the wall, later photos would of gave it to me without a educated guess

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 3 years 2 days ago by Mairjimmy. Reason: Correction

More
3 years 1 day ago #220681 by Mairjimmy
Sticken to PDU neck of the woods ( that if his neck reaches this far

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Attachments:

More
3 years 1 day ago #220682 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic WheremEye
Ceduna Colin,
Are you aiming beyond it this year?
David.

More
3 years 1 day ago #220683 by Mairjimmy
Yes David you are correct and yes we are heading your way, 3rd year trying to get there

More
3 years 1 day ago #220686 by wouldyou
ANZAC day art, a series of steel plates, correct from all angles.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 1 day ago #220691 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic WheremEye
Capella.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 1 day ago #220697 by wouldyou
Hayseed got it, Capella it is.

Time to create page: 0.768 seconds