Skip to main content

Help identifying old bus 1920s/1930s

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #135821 by Lang
Galron,

You obviously have the original. How about getting some younger eyes to try to decipher the name. Even if you get a few different suggested combinations of letters, put them up so we might try to fit them to a known make.

I don't know, maybe auto-suggestion but I could see Detective's Brockway on the bonnet?

Lang
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #135822 by Galron
thanks all for your contributions so far. I dont have the original with me at present, as its with another family member. i have a higher resolution version on which I can see a number 18 under the windscreen, which i guess is some form of registration. Unable to see anything on the bonnet, but will have the original looked at again

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #135823 by Lang
We have had the brains trust on the job (with younger eyes). Consensus seems to be the name on the side of the bonnet is a distinctive shape.

It is just letters - level along the top but the bottom is in an arch ie the word starts big and gets smaller towards the middle then gets bigger at the end.

The name is very similar in shape to the word BRITTAINS in the car add below.

[IMG

Didn't International have something like this (we do not believe it says International)

Lang

More
10 years 2 months ago #135824 by Nr Mack
Thornycroft or fiat

More
10 years 2 months ago #135825 by Lang
I think you might be close with Thornycroft.

Their logo has the start and finish of the name larger giving the appearance described above. I could not match it to a truck as every Thornycroft found had the name distinctly on the radiator, not on the bonnet.

Then I found a photo of a 1912 Thornycroft with no radiator name, raised plain radiator of the correct shape and name on the bonnet. I now have money on it being Thornycroft either just pre-WW1 or very soon therafter.

Lang

10 years 2 months ago #135826 by
....jeeez .. i'm still battling to see a name on the bonnet!! ;D ;D

More
10 years 2 months ago #135827 by Mrsmackpaul

....jeeez .. i'm still battling to see a name on the bonnet!! ;D ;D

mate Im with you I wipped me glasses still can only see the bonnet ;D ;D

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #135828 by Lang
The name is still unreadable to us but the computer savvie kids played with all the photo shop stuff - light, colour, shadow, contrast and all those other mysterious buttons. I am sure there is a name on the side of the bonnet. The vehicle looks like it might be red and the name probably black with very little contrast in black and white photos.

Here is a link to Aktipete's 1912 machine photo. Our mystery vehicle is obviously a heavier version and the name on the bonnet is smaller.

www.flickr.com/photos/46046969@N03/8321607738/in/photostream/

Lang

More
10 years 2 months ago #135829 by mammoth
I would be going for a pre war ie 1914 Thornycroft as there are a number of features which match. The badge at that time was fixed to the front of the radiator top tank so could easily go missing. However Thorny hub caps were domed whereas these are flat ended. The steering attendant would be seated 2nd seat in. Was the picture actually taken in Victoria and not in England?

More
10 years 2 months ago #135830 by Lang
Steve,

The hubcaps on both vehicles (although different size) look pretty much the same to me.

Lang

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds