Skip to main content

What year is this? What is the truck?

More
10 years 2 months ago #136811 by paulc20
Here is a link to our local newspaper, they say the photo of this truck and trailer was taken 1902. I thought that the rear tyres on the truck would have been later than that.

Any ideas on truck or year.

Paul

www.westernadvocate.com.au/story/1377596...bourers-of-bathurst/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136812 by Lang
Paul,

The truck is probably early 20's but the rear tyre makes the photo into the 30's. Even for the 30's it is an exceptionally modern wheel/tyre combination.

Lang

More
10 years 2 months ago #136813 by mammoth
Looks like a complete axle & diff has been put under the truck (to get more speed?) and the old axle chassis cut has been used for the trailer. Like Lang i would be guessing mid to late thirties. Maybe it is the boiler that dates from 1902.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136814 by BK
Have a look at slide #6....it says 1902 also, spider??

Trust me

More
10 years 2 months ago #136815 by hoarder1
I wouldn't place to much emphasis on the date 1902. Lots of photographs are archived and dated in state libraries and other collections with incorrect dates. Usually a group of photographs is catalogued with a start and finish date - often spanning 20 or 30 years which might be the duration of the contributor's photography career. When a newspaper or someone else uses the picture, they then refer to the incorrect date, and on it goes.
Many online collections allow the viewer to send them a note if more information is known. I often send in details of vehicles (manufacture date etc) which shows that the photograph can't have been taken before a particular date. The curators love to know this stuff.

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

More
10 years 6 days ago - 10 years 6 days ago #136816 by Lang
It really is your duty to put up as much as you know about a photo. As said above curators get lots of photos with no information and as the years go by fewer staff have any idea about time, place or context.

There are some disgraceful examples of history being lost by some idiot putting useless captions beside them. Instead of leaving photos in general files they specifically put worthless descriptions on them, losing them forever to researchers who will never find them unless they come across them by accident.

The War Memorial and Council History archives are noted for this. Significant photos are captioned "Old Truck" or "Group of men with truck".

If you have some idea of what the scene really depicts keep the info with the photo. If you can upgrade or correct the info for curators please do so. It helps us retain our history.

Lang

Last edit: 10 years 6 days ago by Lang.

More
10 years 6 days ago #136817 by greenie

There are some disgraceful examples of history being lost by some idiot putting useless captions beside them.

Lang

Couldn't agree more with what you just said Lang.

If you open the picture album that is associated with that link, then proceed to photo number 6, here is a perfect example of what some clown who reckons he knows it all and really knows jack $hit.

Just check out the date that is supplied with photo 6, eh
::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
9 years 8 months ago #136818 by raymond m
I would say the truck in pic 1 is a WD Leyland anywhere between 1915 -23. The pnuematic tyres are an add-on. The suppose date is incorrect but I guess the weight of 13 tons is right. rayman

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #136819 by mammoth
Don't think it is a Leyland Ray - look at radiator, bonnet, sump, front frame. Hard to tell with such a small and fuzzy image. but then again idstbc
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by mammoth.

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds