Skip to main content

OK Roderick??

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #145195 by Mairjimmy
OK Roderick?? was created by Mairjimmy
Master of all things Railway and Bridges, I took a photo of this bridge and am not to sure where it is and thought you will know and the tunnel may be on the same line :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

On the back of the tunnel photo is a town name and railway tunnel, if its to hard of a question I will put the town name up latter for a clue because they might not be connected

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Mairjimmy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #145196 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: OK Roderick??
Simply top of head. It is on the Monto line. I have photos of a steam train on that bridge. As a bridge, it does have a name.
2 min later:
< www.flickr.com/photos/rasker/4628379764> ;

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
9 years 9 months ago #145197 by Roderick Smith
The tunnel is too generic, but with the track vanished, must be in the Monto - Gladstone section (which had five in quick succession).
Roderick B Smith

More
9 years 9 months ago #145198 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: OK Roderick??
Roderick, The tunnel has Gin Gin Railway tunnel on it. On the bridge in my head is Biggenden, could that be right
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
9 years 9 months ago #145199 by Roderick Smith
The Gin Gin line ran from Bundaberg, and so will be right for a tour in the region. IIRC, before my first visit part had been converted for 610 mm gauge cane instead of 1067 mm gauge as built; I never have got to ride on/over it.
Yes, Biggenden is on the Monto line. The other famous bridge on that line is Dickabram, not concrete arch. You may well have photographed it too.
Roderick B Smith

More
9 years 9 months ago #145200 by Mairjimmy

Roderick, I think now that I can write on the back of the photo Biggenden Chowey Bridge.

Thanks to you and google
Colin

More
9 years 9 months ago #145201 by Johnm020
Replied by Johnm020 on topic Re: OK Roderick??
The line continued from Gin Gin to Mount Perry. The Mount Perry section was closed many years before the Gin Gin section was. The old Gin Gin station has been a historical site although there has been major road works here, bypassing the steep climb on the highway south and i don't know if the rail yard was impacted.

More
9 years 9 months ago #145202 by Kenworth_10x6
Replied by Kenworth_10x6 on topic Re: OK Roderick??
Is the tunnel the Boondooma tunnel? It can be driven through by car and is part of a local tourist drive in the Mt Perry - Gin Gin area.

The Chowey bridge has some history, I think it is the first formed concrete bridge in Australia or something like that, and yes just outside of Biggenden, just past Degilbo.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #145203 by Mairjimmy
KW 10x6, The tunnel on google looks the same as my photo but is spelt Boolboonda which is close

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpKLvTBSM29RloSHvSbCgqP4h1n3nWRPYLvCr10F4rDfYlDJEngA

Yes you must be able to drive through it, as we have one coming out of it also
Colin

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #145204 by Mairjimmy
Johnm020, Have not seen your name up here many times before, I will have to go back up to that area and try to remember a bit more about it, we were looking at old photos and trying to work out a few of them
Colin

Time to create page: 0.585 seconds