Skip to main content

Twin Engined trucks

More
8 years 11 months ago #158098 by Dave_64
Twin Engined trucks was created by Dave_64
Read with interest the recent Ridley posts and then came across Swishy's "Wotzit" which was a 1931 Relay 300A, another twin engined jigger.

There are also another couple of twin engined trucks worth a bit of a look, if anyones interested. The "Spangler", think was powered by twin flathead Ford V8's and aslo the "Eisenhauer", which I think had twin Chevrolet engines. Truly awesome jiggers in their time, well worth a look on Google.

Cheers, Dave 64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 11 months ago #158099 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #158100 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
Ford did a couple of twin engined trucks Oct the years .... First ones were WW2 era cab overs with twin V8s and then in the 70s I believe the Poms put 2 engines in a few D series Ford's as a test .... Before the Transcontinental model came along

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by werkhorse.

More
8 years 11 months ago #158101 by werkhorse
Looks like Ted beat me with the WW2 Ford ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
8 years 11 months ago #158102 by werkhorse

More
8 years 11 months ago #158103 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
Shame Perkins never cottoned on .... Then again would take more than 2 gerkins to move most trucks

More
8 years 11 months ago #158104 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
Thanks for the follow-ups, men!

Interesting that right up until the seventies (D series Ford and also Bedford) were still tooling around with the concept when you would have thought that there would have been ample power around in a larger single engine. Perhaps it was simply a way of using up a few old bits and pieces, or maybe like that bloke in the U.S. who let his spoiled son loose in the engineering shop. Kid was keen on boats, so he built one of the first wooden hydroplanes and dropped 4 (four, count 'em) Cadillac V8's in it. Reportedly went like the proverbial s--- off a shovel until the throttles jammed and a jetty and half a dozen spectators got wiped out.

Glad he never built a multi-engined truck, may have taken out half an interstate.

But it does go to show some of the brilliant, innovative ideas blokes came up with to get around the early lack of power for shifting large loads. Recall reading a bit about the bloke who had his own logging trucks, way back in early days. Used to load them like so many did back then, with cable and overhead winch. Modified a winch into a transmission for a truck. Great, geared to climb the proverbial brick wall only trouble was that the engine didn't have enough power to move both the geared down truck and the swinging load he put on it. Answer? Extend the chassis out the FRONT and drop another engine in front of it, make a straight twelve!
Seemed to work, how successfully was not given. And you have to remember that crude gasoline was relatively cheap so if you were getting 2-3 mpg out of log trucks in that mountainous country, you were probably doing all right.

How many Perkins would have been required on THAT conversion, Kenny?

Cheers, Dave64

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #158105 by werkhorse
Have heard of some guys in the US back in the 70s using old V8 Petrols mounted behind the cab with a belt system down to the tailshaft/rear of gearbox to get extra power on the big hills out west ..... The yanks will try anything :D ;D ::)

Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by werkhorse.

More
8 years 11 months ago #158106 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
Angel gear was the other option to " increase power " lol

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 11 months ago #158107 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
Yar Butt