Skip to main content

Twin Engined trucks

More
8 years 11 months ago #158108 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
there's skel log truck trailers used in NZ I remember reading an artical I reckon in the mid 80's

There was also a operator in the north island of NZ that made a powered dog trailer for his Commer

And who was the fella at Swan Hill or Mildura that had a Bedford road train after the war with a diesel electric powered lead trailer and the power unit was made out of a old ack ack search light power pack from the war

and Im sure there's heaps more I could dig out some pic's but might take me a while

seeya

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #158109 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
What about this one working in the NT.

The middle trailer is powered by an M11 & Alison Auto...

read about it here..

www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc...IAkxRIS4hVBqzN49UTUw

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by hayseed.

More
8 years 9 months ago #158110 by rex
Replied by rex on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
Hayseed
Of course it needed another engine, KW up front, Volvo would do it all on it's own.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #158111 by grahamjb
Replied by grahamjb on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
Not a Truck but I used to go ashore on one of these when I used to fix Lighthouses around Australia. These vehicles were usually overloaded and were quite unsafe to ride on as nothing was lashed down. The Cummins V8 was unreliable so our wise engineers decided to rip out the Cummins and fit two Leyland 6 cylinder diesel engines and drive the wheels using hydraulic motors. The extra weight of the two engines and hydraulics reduced the payload capacity and they ended up being more unreliable than the Cummins.

Lighter, Amphibious Re-Supply Cargo, 5-Ton (LARC-V)
The LARC-5 was an Army amphibious vehicle originally used in the 1960's to ferry supplies from ships to shore. Its total possible load is 5 tons (hence the five after LARC). The head of the Transportation Corps, MG Paul Yount, directed the US Army Research Command (USATRECOM) in 1956 to build a boat with the ability to drive on land. The prototype was built in July 1959 with final design produced in 1963.

They LARC V did not handle the way it was expected so, many were given to around 35 reserve companies. The active duty 165th, 305th, 344th, 458th, and 461st Trans Co.s received them. The LARC V is primarily used by the Beach Group in surf-zone salvage, recovery, and command and control roles, and for the transportation of personnel and equipment. The craft are in excess of 35 years old and require extensive maintenance and repair, nevertheless their retention or replacement is considered essential.

The LARC V is a single-screw, four-wheeled, self-propelled, diesel-powered amphibian. It has a cargo capacity of 10,000 pounds and a troop capacity of 20. It has a range of 200 nautical miles on land and 40 nm on water. It can attain speeds up to 22 miles per hour on land and 8.5 knots at sea. 12 LARC V craft are presently embarked aboard MPF ships.

The LARC(V)is an amphibious lighter constructed of aluminum, 35 feet long, 10-ft wide, and 10-feet 2 inches high. The current weight of the craft is approximately 20,000 pounds (without cargo). Power is furnished by an 8 cylinder Cummins V-903 Engine (rated at 295 BHP at 26000 rpm).

Capable of operation in temperate, tropic, and arctic climates, of transversing sand and coral beaches, unimproved roads, off-road terrain and maneuvering through a surf of 10-foot breakers. The engine is located in the stern over the propeller and drives forward to a centrally located transfer case where power is transmitted to all four driving wheels and/or the propeller.

The suspension is rigid and the 18.00 x 12 ply off-road tubeless tires provide the only shock absorption. The propeller operates in hull tunnel, which is fitted with a nozzle to improve efficiency. Baseline speeds for the craft were 9 mph in water and 30 mph on land with full rated load of 5 short tons.

Thirty-five modifications have been identified that will form the nucleus of a SLEP for the craft. This SLEP would improve safety, reduce crew fatigue, improve reliability, reduce maintenance costs, and increase service life. Studies must be conducted to explore future capabilities to conduct surf zone salvage, recovery, command and control, and the transportation of personnel and equipment.

Cabin View
[IMG

Unloading a small crawler dozer
[IMG

Coming Ashore
[IMG

Loading on to the Lighthouse Tender
[IMG

Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by grahamjb.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 9 months ago #158112 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
Graham
Gudday M8

Iz thiz a LARC

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 9 months ago #158113 by grahamjb
Replied by grahamjb on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
Yes it is Swishy and the Hiab is good for 4 ton. There is an unused one up for grabs on Cocos Keeling Island that sunk after it overturned when they were loading it from the monthly supply ship about 10 years ago.

More
8 years 9 months ago #158114 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
Where's Newto????? >:(

calling a Cummins V903 unreliable :-/ :-/

fitted in Trucks they had a well earned reputation for being extremely reliable...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 9 months ago #158115 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
One of my boy's used to drive the boat to re-supply Willis Island.
Their LARC was definitely a still water craft, even had an open locker with float and a heap of cable so they could dive to attach recovery gear when it sank.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
8 years 9 months ago #158116 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks
WOW I have never seen or heard of these before a bit like an Army DUKW only more modern and from what I know about them (not much by the way) they were also unstable keep it coming fellas Im learning heaps

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #158117 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Re: Twin Engined trucks

Where's Newto????? >:(

calling a Cummins V903 unreliable :-/ :-/

fitted in Trucks they had a well earned reputation for being extremely reliable...

...might the V8 Cummins have been a 555 ?...or an earlier 185/210 ?
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by defective.

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds