Skip to main content

True or False, was there ever a JAPANESE WHITE

More
9 years 9 months ago #24261 by Frog
Right0, on the tilt cab and radiator late Sixties and all; but what we were jawing about with the Japanese White --- the White 5000 , the monster with the all-Fibrglas cab -- is that it was 1959, ie late FIFTIES.
BTW I been thinking some more about that old truck that I was waxing so nostalgic and lovelorn about and I had a thought about how the Full-Air shifter used to on occasion GET STUCK! Yeah, stuck in no gear, like between gears. You never had an air shift, except this particular truck, and I'm lucky it didn't stick outta gear going down the Grapevine (a particularly treacherous set of up and down in Southern California.) In fact, that's no doubt why I was able to pick up my White 5000 Japanese White so cheap --- no doubt the linedrivers at Campbell Moving and Storage just told the despatcher "We're not driving that death trap again anymore anywhere EVER!" So it just sat out in the field there until I came along, green as grass, and took it off their hands. I lived to tell about it too -- that was well over forty years ago.

g'day frog and all the europeans have had tilt cab and radiator since, at least, the late sixties in the g series volvo's and the all the scanias that came to this country.

cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #24262 by Ozfury
Was wondering if the bastardised Hino was a prototype for the Road Expeditor?

More
9 years 7 months ago #24263 by raymond m
Hi guys, a rele of mine in NZ had a rig I think was a HINO with the japanese made "Gates" belt drive tandem axle.The lazy axle was in front of the driver and was on airbags, could be lifted off the road when empty.It looked quite odd running down the road with the wheels up and spinning. He also had a couple of Commer Knockers with "Natchez" load sharing lazy axles, when the load came off the axle raised up by itself. I remember a few of these around Brisbane on tippers. Farley and Lewers had a couple on tippers. This guy in NZ also had a Spanish "Pegaso" semi trailer with the bogie at about the center of the body and a steering axle right at the tail. It worked with crossed cables from the front to the rear turntable, just like Kurt Johansens self steering trailers. These rigs were doing fruit and vegies betwen Auckland and Wellington. Getting along the road it looked like a knotted dog. rayman

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds