Skip to main content

harder watzit - beach buggy

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #54766 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: harder watzit
This isn't a tuk tuk, but I thought that it would be more at home here than in any other thread.

A micro version of a Jeepney, based on a Morris Minor. This one is in the transport museum which forms part of the Taman Mini complex on the fringe of Jakarta, Indonesia.
IIRC, the back was set up for six passengers: two sideways benches holding three people each, plus one the cab. Judging from other travels, I guess that it ran often with two passengers in the cab, and eight in the back, plus lots of luggage.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Roderick Smith.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #54767 by insomniac
Replied by insomniac on topic Re: harder watzit
Rotflmao,

They remind me so much of those open little three wheeler platforms that used to be used in the footscray road market.
Stall holders/Buggers used to park them anywhere ---behind your trailer or in front ANYWHERE.
Bugger the poor tired semi driver it`s money time here.

A gentle or not so gentle depending on your frame of mind / degree of self control /frustration management, clip with the bull-bar or the back gross bar of the trailer would send then skittering off with the silly wheel going in all sorts of wobbly antics until they hit a fence or some thing.< After you had finished unloading at that spot of course >.

DDD :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X.

More
12 years 9 months ago #54768 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: harder watzit
Related to tuk tuks: golf buggies. They are used for much more than golf. Airports and Amtrak (USA) stations use them to transport mobility-impaired passengers through terminals.

In my collection I have a video clip downloaded from the Melbourne 2006 Commownwealth Games site (which is still available online as an archive document). I was listing all of the transport on which Queens Baton travelled. IIRC the wheelbarrow was in South Africa.
On Day 10, 3.2.06, the baton went by Fantasea fast ferry to Whitehaven Beach, Hamilton Island and Daydream Island.
On Hamilton, one of the sectors was being carried to the highest point on the island on a golf buggy.
The six photos on line don't show that stage, but the video does.
From the daily notes:
qbr.melbourne2006.com.au/default.aspx?s=...ightdisplay&aid=3833
Hamilton Island [14.50] The fifth runner will be transported in a golf buggy to the top of Tree Hill, the highest point on the island, for a photo opportunity.
Highlights Package Day 10 Transcript
The video of the Baton

More
12 years 7 months ago #54769 by Roderick Smith
I was walking along Bourke St between Queen St & Elizabeth St, and saw this one in the window of a travel agency.

110816Tu-P1000089-Melbourne-TukTuk-RSmith

Roderick B Smith

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #54770 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Tuk Tuk truck
I took took this one in Cloncurry (Qld) in 1968.

680119F-04-Cloncurry-triwheel-RSmith

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Roderick Smith.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #54771 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: harder watzit

Smitty
Gudday M8
Twould th@ Last pic
B a Vespa
az in vespa scooterz

here B a pic of a doodadd th@ twaz used @ the games in Sydney
a friend of a friend has it @ phillip island
await n restoration or/and batteries
for memory tiz battery operated

Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Swishy.

More
12 years 7 months ago #54772 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: harder watzit
You can still buy these jiggers which must meet European specs in Italy. I recently saw some new Ape (Bee in Italian, Vespa = Wasp) three wheelers carting good loads. They must be OK as farmers and town delivery vehicles for them to persist with development to meet the Euro rules. Maybe the Italians have a special deal and don't sell outside Italy?
Lang

More
12 years 7 months ago #54773 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: harder watzit
Up until a few years ago there used to be one of those Vespa type units, only it was a van body, sitting on the roof of a wreckers in Cheltenham Rd Dandenong. It disappeared one day and hasn't surfaced since.

More
12 years 7 months ago #54774 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: harder watzit
are you sure it isn't forgotten somewhere in you back yard - parked under as straddle truck perhaps? :)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
12 years 7 months ago #54775 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: harder watzit
I wish!!

Time to create page: 0.614 seconds