Skip to main content

Yet another truck what is it?

More
11 years 3 months ago #103282 by ivor project
this turbine deal is a pretty old chestnut? and has been revised a few times . in 68 ihc introduced the co 4070 a which was a facelift on the co 4000 at the same time they experimented with what was called the turbostar which just like the kw test a decade before had the same results hi fuel consumption very hi temps and
difficult to operate due to erratic throttle responce.
i think ford went down the same path in the early 60,s with a modified ht -850 ???? im sure the turbine truck experiment will raise its head in the future?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #103283 by Lang
I don't see how it could work as turbines have huge response time to power setting changes. In 1950 engines it could take 10 seconds from idle to full power and even today 3-4 seconds - impossible with a manual gearbox.

Great for ships, planes and trains with constant power settings and slow throttle movements. Noise on those early shaft turbines would have been horrendous, talk about GM's! and impossible to get down to modern standards. I think they could do it with modern free turbines,

I don't think the average punter could handle them without overtorquing or cooking them without a miriad of computer programs attached to the accelerator pedal.

"RACQ, I have a non starting engine, looks like the fuel topping governor, just drop by and fix it on the side of the road." I think we will be using diesel for a long time to come.

11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #103284 by
Replied by on topic Re: Yet another truck what is it?
....at about the 4 :18 mark, it looks like he's baggin' up Kurt Johanssen..... 8-) 8-) :o

More
11 years 3 months ago #103285 by Roderick Smith
Another fascinating thread.
Even in railway applications, turbines were not a huge success. Noisy, and fuel guzzling. Slow response was less of a problem, and a lot used electric drive.
The two successes which stay in mind:
* Union Pacific 'Big Blow' turbine-electric locos, from the early 1950s. They could burn very heavy residual oil, and may even have been able to burn pulverised coal.
* French turbine passenger multiple-unit sets. I have travelled on one. They were burning avtur. I suspect that consumption bumped them. There were a few in USA & Canada, and I have travelled on one. Not only consumption, but other design features, bumped them. They were built to a lightweight philosophy, and rode roughly.
* When I was a primary-school boy, and turbines were the new whiz thing, there was a lot published on Rover's (UK) experimental turbine car.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
11 years 3 months ago #103286 by ivor project
mack tried it 1980 -86 same result
mack ws760 lst yeah thanks yadda yadda

More
11 years 3 months ago #103287 by mammoth
Leyland placed several prototype turbine powered prime movers with fuel companys for testing in service. Performance was good but again fuel consumption was an issue. It was also at the time when the car division was bleeding the conglomerate dry and research on truck design could not be sustained. One has since been preserved and is in running condition. Swish will find the utube clip..........

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 3 months ago #103288 by Swishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 3 months ago #103289 by ute253
Thanks for the fliks swishy, real good.

don't you like how that turbine truck sits up at the front a few inches higher without the weight of a conventional motor over the axle.

also the big exhaust pipes too? wouldnt look out of place on something rolling up the highway presently.

Diamond T P3320 x 2&&Studebaker US6 6x6&&HQ GTS Coupe&&HQ ute&&HG ut

11 years 3 months ago #103290 by
Replied by on topic Re: Yet another truck what is it?
Yup, Bin there..Swish.

Driven the Turbine back in the early '70s.
A strange beast.
Felt I should have had a pilots licence ?
The one I drove was a 4x2 prime mover.
Only drove it on an old airstrip, officially I shouldn't tell anyone 'cos I was signed up to the 'Official Secrets Act'.
I think my membership ran out about the same time as Leyland did.

But anyway, I am only telling you Swish, so don't shout about it :) , or I could get locked up ?

Cheers
RS :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #103291 by atkipete
You may still get transported to the colonies for spilling the beans Roland but a couple of questions.
Did it have a lot of power ? Would it have the torque to pull a trailer ? What sort of gearbox ?

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds