Skip to main content

Name all 3 trucks.

More
11 years 2 months ago #104371 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Name all 3 trucks.
My vote is the state of New Zealand.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #104372 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: Name all 3 trucks.
Thanks Tatra-Tatra 138-180 h.p. air cooled V8 diesel, I don't know how they attached the tag axle, unless it was a close coupled log jinker.
Roderick, it's actually in New Zealand, these trucks were owned by Bill Tacon who ran Tacon's Transport at Kumara on the South Island West Coast. There were a few Tatra 138 models sold in N.Z. in the mid to late 1960s by Ranzley Motors in Christchurch. Also there was an earlier model with a very square cab, looked like a relic from World War 2, I think it had a V12 air cooled diesel motor.-Hamish Petrie
One of Bill Tacon's Tatra 138s fitted with a lime spreader.

More
11 years 2 months ago #104373 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Name all 3 trucks.

My vote is the state of New Zealand.

I'll second that

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
11 years 2 months ago #104374 by Roderick Smith
Nice. I have been to Kumara, and photographed Tramway Tavern (former Tramway Hotel), named after the timber tramway which served the area before the Greymouth - Hokitika railway was opened (I have travelled over that line). I missed getting a photo of Theatre Royal Hotel in Kumara, as I was in a group-tour bus which didn't stop there.
See www.westcoastrailtrail.com/gallery/imagery/maps .

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #104375 by
Replied by on topic Re: Name all 3 trucks.
fageol .. that cabover Rhino was i think a grown up version of the Nissan medium service (caball?) that we had quite a lot of here in Aus. in various weight capacities ...

... these early Jap short haul/delivery style of trucks, i would hope, eventually get a following and some of them can be preserved ....as in the '60's they were a curious bunch of blow-ins when we were used to Beddys, Fords, and locally produced jiggers

More
11 years 2 months ago #104376 by fageol100
Detective, there doesn't seem to be much of a following for the early Jap trucks in N.Z. I guess a lot of them rusted pretty badly which hasn't helped. A lot of those 2 stroker UDs got repowered with Detroit 6.71 or 6V71 motors or Scania DS8, DS11, or later 4 stroke UD motors-PD6, PE6 types.-Hamish

More
11 years 2 months ago #104377 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Name all 3 trucks.

Also there was an earlier model with a very square cab, looked like a relic from World War 2, I think it had a V12 air cooled diesel motor

Hamish,

The V12 engined truck was the heavier T111 which originally was developed for the Wehrmacht and produced well into the 1960s. It had 220 hp from 15L, OK for 1944 but typically for all Communist machinery there was no real development during production. It was a torque monster though and like the 138, off-road, nothing in that size or configuration could beat it. My uncle had 3 T111s (courtesy of the Egyptian army, lol) which he used as tar sprayers in his road construction busines, a lot of which was doing defence contracts for the IAF in god-forsaken parts of the Sinai and the Negev deserts. The things would just not get stuck and more than once recovered stuck US M-series Reos and AM Generals. He later had a T148 "donated" by the Syrian army or one or another Leb faction.

The top 2 pics are of a superbly restored T111, ex Czech army I shot in a military vehicle show in Vienna, the bottom is said 148, which is allegedly still alive in Israel (only just).

http://www.carsforum.co.il/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=244292&d=1307290026
http://www.carsforum.co.il/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=244294&d=1307290026

More
11 years 2 months ago #104378 by fageol100
Thanks very much Tatra, that was definitely the one-T111, belonged to a logging contractor at Christchurch, R.S. Payne, unfortunately don't have any photos. We had some Tatras with the later grille too, so probably T148 models.-Thanks again-Hamish Petrie

More
11 years 2 months ago #104379 by Tatra
Replied by Tatra on topic Re: Name all 3 trucks.
It surprized me because Czechoslovakia (as it was then) was a part of the Commecon states... You would not have expected any trade during the cold war particularly with trouble brewing up in other parts of the region.

We got our Tatras imported like this :)

Dealer (IDF) delivery direct from the battle zone...

Cheers

T

More
11 years 2 months ago #104380 by fageol100
Neat photo Tatra-Diamond T 980/981 I think. In New Zealand we also got Skoda cars and Zetor tractors from Czechoslovakia from the 1960s and 70s. We also had a few Dutra tractors from Hungary come here in the late 60s. Probably something to do with trade in meat or dairy products.-Hamish Petrie

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds