• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 4 months ago #189477 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic WotZit
Well dun Grandad
U may grab a pass to u're fridge (if U stihl kno where it iz)
LOL

Yes az Grandad Sez:
tiz a:
Kearns Motor Truck

Wotzit # 472

Keep u're think n cap on
best WAG gets U a free pass to u're very own fridge

Cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #189479 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic WotZit
Ward La France

Actually I'm gunna change that to Corrbitt. ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by werkhorse.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
6 years 4 months ago #189489 by Swishy
Yes Werk
on u're 2nd guess U dun got it
drinx 4 U

Yes tiz a:
Corbitt motor truck

HISTORY
The Corbitt Company was located in Henderson in northeastern North Carolina. It was in business there for roughly the first half of the twentieth century.

After an apprenticeship in the tobacco business under J.P. Taylor of Henderson, Richard J. Corbitt became a buyer and seller of leaf tobacco, representing Taylor in his birthplace of Enfield, NC and in Henderson, where he settled permanently in 1894. The following year he went into business on his own. Corbitt foresaw the big companies dominating the tobacco industry, so in 1899 he decided to enter the buggy manufacturing business. In 1899, there were four buggy builders in Henderson; eight years later, Corbitt had bought all three of his competitors.

In 1905, Corbitt built his first automobile, which he called a “motor buggy”. Automobiles went into full production in 1907. He imported laborers from Detroit so he would have workers knowledgeable about automobiles. But this only added to his costs, and he was losing money on every car he sold.

In 1910 Corbitt built his first truck and the profit picture began to change. In 1913, he decided to forget automobiles and become a full-time truck builder. For most of the next 40 years, the company made money, building trucks and trailers. The trailers included vans, drop-frame vans, and flatbeds up to 36’ in length. Most of the large motor carriers of the Carolinas came to be Corbitt customers.

In 1917 the company built North Carolina’s first school buses. In 1917-18, it supplied trucks to the US Army and Navy. It started building 4x4s and 6x6s for the Army in the early to mid-1930s
In 1934 Corbitt bought obsolete automobile sheet metal from the Auburn Motors Company and used it for the front ends of its lightest trucks, those in the 11-13,000 pound gross vehicle weight category. Many people considered this a very handsome truck. It was sold for two or three years; only one is known to have survived.

From 1939-1945 Corbitt designed and built over 3,200 50SD6 6-ton, 6×6 prime movers for the US Army. These trucks were equipped with either the 779 or the 855 cubic-inch Hercules 6-cylinder gasoline engine. They were used in every theater of operation during World War II. Corbitt lacked production capacity for all the trucks needed, so White, Brockway, Ward LaFrance, and FWD all built the same or very similar trucks. Altogether, over 10,000 of these trucks were built by the five manufacturers.

One reason for Corbitt’s success with the military was that the small company was flexible and able to do quick modifications. The Army demanded an all-steel cab, so Corbitt discontinued the wooden frame from the 30s and built nothing but all-steel cabs from then on.

In 1946 Corbitt built two prototypes of a huge 8×8 truck, the T-33, for the Army. This truck looks modern even by 21st century standards. It carried ¼ inch armor plate and was 131” tall and 114” wide. A 450 horsepower radial aircraft engine was mounted in the rear. The T-33s were said to be the second largest trucks in the world at the time.

Corbitt’s largest post-war production year was 1946 when it built 600 trucks. After that demand that had been pent up by the war began to slacken.

About this time, Corbitt played a role in one of the biggest moving jobs ever. A Corbitt truck pulled Howard Hughes’ 75-ton seaplane, the “Spruce Goose”, from Hughes Aircraft at Culver City, CA to a pier at Long Beach 28 miles away. At the time, this was the largest bulk load ever pulled over the highway.

Wotzit # 473

Cya

§

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: craig308

More
6 years 4 months ago #189497 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic WotZit
REO?

More
6 years 4 months ago #189506 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic WotZit
Sterling?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 4 months ago #189508 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic WotZit
Maybe Aceson?

More
6 years 4 months ago #189515 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic WotZit
Federal?

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
6 years 4 months ago #189521 by Swishy
Well Dun Grandad
Sorry bit L8 with the reply (had probs add n attachments)

Yes Az Grandad sez ..... tiz a :
Acason Motor truck

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/tractors/images/9/9d/Acason_1918_Model_T_conversion.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100515215119

The Acason Farm Tractor Co. of Detroit, Michigan, in the USA is possibly related to the Acason Motor Truck Co. of the same city. The Company was formed in 1918 to make tractor conversion kits for Ford Model T automobiles. Acason shut down in 1925.

Wotzit # 474

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeDpvLkOQQ10ibLxKNLf4fv0qjL6L_cR8_rHQMLS2Xu8w4vcLc

Cya
§

Attachments:

More
6 years 4 months ago #189528 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic WotZit
International

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
6 years 4 months ago #189532 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic WotZit
Sanford?

Time to create page: 0.659 seconds