Skip to main content

Information about the future of the Forum

More
9 years 1 month ago #154491 by Wilweld
Hi all,

Whilst this post itself contains no new info, I have found it extremely annoying that a recent thread that DID contain such info had to be deleted due to the OP removing all his posts from that thread and rendering it un-readable.

I would therefore like to propose that a thread be started in which ONLY the Mods and Admin can post, that keeps the rest of us up to date on the changes, updates, upgrades and general direction the forum is moving in.

There has been a lot of info to take in lately, and I just thought that having it all in one spot (Mods and Admin could also quote posts from other threads and leave here), with none of the usual "back and forth" of the forum to clutter it up would be useful.

My 2c worth. (inc GST). Feel free to shoot me down in flames.

Grant.

'79 F100- 302c 4spd&&'81 F350- Isuzu 6BB1&&Chamberlain Industrial MK11  (6G)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 1 month ago #154492 by
...bparo put a fair bit of effort into his technical replies in the part 2 saga...

....maybe that information can be retrieved and posted here?....

More
9 years 1 month ago #154493 by Chocs
What about a bit of positive perspective on all this?

I'll try.....

A bloke sees faults and problems with the Forum.(hes probably not the only one either )
So he repeatedly has a bit to say over it...Seemingly fails to get his points of concerns recognized.
So he takes it a step further.
He then makes a 4 hour trip to a meeting he was invited to attend.
Whether anyone likes it or not, with permission he posts his findings following the meeting.

The way it was all carried out may not have been to everyones liking, but it may have got the ball rolling toward some needed improvements.
How are we going so far?

Ok, so the bloke has rippled the pond and for that,he is then PUBLICALLY labeled a whinger and a sook and accused of undermining the whole operation.

So then it seems, he chooses to remove the post that has supposedly offended so many,but in doing so has again seemingly done the wrong thing and upset the thread.

Further to that, his initial post is almost 'carbon copied' by another person, with findings and solutions that had already been bought to light in his initial posting...

Ok, so everyone is a good bloke and doing a great job, we got that part....And they are...
Everyone has a theory on what should be done and they will all probably work...If there was anyone in fact willing to put their hand up for a job.
Funding the whole show is great too, but was never labeled as an issue in 'curing' some of these issues.

So....Maybe the 'messenger or whatever someone chooses to label him' has been shot enough times?

Love him or not...he was having a go..
We will all be there to reap the reward of some of his efforts I'm sure...

I think there will be plenty of good come out of all this.
Closed doors will be re opened, communication will be re established...People will again begin to work together with each other..

I sincerely hope that my post is seen in the way it was written....With genuine concern for everyone concerned.

More
9 years 1 month ago #154494 by hoarder1
Well said, Chocs. Everyone should try to maintain a positive perspective on this.

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #154495 by dieseldog

Ok, so the bloke has rippled the pond and for that,he is then PUBLICALLY labeled a whinger and a sook and accused of undermining the whole operation.

I say this with the greatest respect towards Slospeed, and applaud him in his efforts to make things happen, but its not what he's doing that is the problem, but the way he's gone about it.

The way I am reading the situation is that the guy is very passionate about the forum and wants the changes to be made, but instead of calling up the admins (the people that have effectively made this forum their life's work) and saying "Hey mate, I've been invited to a meeting to discuss changes to the forum, would you like to join me, or do you have anything to add?", he's just gone behind their back and had words to the boss....

To me, this is basically saying to the admins "Your not doing your job and I think I can do it better....." Just like JBlair, I would be pi$$ed off and give it away, if I was in his shoes.

In regards to the posts being taken down, they should be left up, they are his opinions and should be regarded as such. Some people will agree, some won't, but every time one puts something up and takes it down, two things happen- 1) you loose your credibility because your going back on your word, and 2) your giving our already stressed moderators and admin more work by them having to delete a thread that no longer makes any sense, not to mention losing the other good information in the remaining posts.

Again, no offence intended here, I'm just saying....
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by dieseldog.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #154496 by dno

he's just gone behind their back and had words to the boss....

This is probably how those effected by his actions feel but, I'm guessing these were certainly not his intentions.

In regards to the posts being taken down, they should be left up, they are his opinions and should be regarded as such. Some people will agree, some won't, but every time one puts something up and takes it down, two things happen- 1) you loose your credibility because your going back on your word, and 2) your giving our already stressed moderators and admin more work by them having to delete a thread that no longer makes any sense, not to mention losing the other good information in the remaining posts.

Totally agree

I'll also add my thanks and support for those that make coming here for a read possible, job well done all involved.

dno.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by dno.

More
9 years 1 month ago #154497 by bigcam
Actually, Trevor did take his concerns to the committee probably 12 months ago when he wrote a letter outlining his concerns, and as far as I know, it was brought up at a meeting and some of the Moderators were told. As far as I know, there was a already a plan in place for the technical problems, and Trevor's letter also spoke about deleting certain sections on the forum etc, so it was noted and nothing else.

I would like to apologize to Trevor, this whole thing has started to take on the dark shadow of personal attack, and though it is quite obvious by my previous comments that Trev and I don't agree, it is also obvious that his intentions are good. We should be able to have differing opinions with out being nasty to each other.

I say this with the greatest respect towards Slospeed, and applauded him in his efforts to make things happen, but its not what he's doing that is the problem, but the way he's gone about it.

The way I am reading the situation is that the guy is very passionate about the forum and wants the changes to be made, but instead of calling up the admins (the people that have effectively made this forum their life's work) and saying "Hey mate, I've been invited to a meeting to discuss changes to the forum, would you like to join me, or do you have anything to add?", he's just gone behind their back and had words to the boss....

To me, this is basically saying to the admins "Your not doing your job and I think I can do it better....." Just like JBlair, I would be pi$$ed off and give it away, if I was in his shoes.

More
9 years 1 month ago #154498 by bparo
To clear the air. I liked some of Trevor's ideas, some were not technically feasible and I told him so and tried to explained why.

I also advised him the democratic processes by which the sections were added and explained the steps needing to be taken for their removal. I am not comfortable removing a section which an HCVC general meeting has voted on without that meeting having a chance to vote on its removal.

All it would have taken was a post saying "Sorry, I forgot you wanted to attend the meeting with me" and all would have been sweet!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 1 month ago #154499 by ianoz
OK , My view on this . Trevor said he asked if he could address the committee about the forum issues .They then invited him to speak at the meeting .
I would have thought the committee would then have invited the administrators to be part of the disscussion ,more for their own benifit to give an informed view to help answer Trevors concerns .
As an invited Guest ,I can't see it being Trevors call to then invite others to attend .
We as forum members have been kept well out of the loop with what has been going on behind the scenes . When you read HCVC forum , you naturally assume ,the club is footing the bill .,but now find this isn't the case up until recently ..This forum is good ,Why ,Because Jarrod ,Bruce and the rest of the team listened to what members wanted ,and did the best they could to build the forum to what we have today .
So after 8 years of having what we have ,After a couple of hours of talks the Committee has decided the way forward .If they take Trevors Suggestions to heart , No tractors and old stuff . No models ,No quiz area no modern truck area .Probably no open access to guests .
All I can say is Thank you and well done Jarrod ,Bruce, Andy ,Cam , and the rest of the Moderators .

More
9 years 1 month ago #154500 by bigcam
Ian, removing the Tractors and Models was suggested in the letter by Trevor 12 odd months ago. As far as I know it isn't on the agenda any more.

Really, at the end of the day it is obvious that the Forum could do with some upgrading, and all this has been worked on for ages. Like any complex thing it can't happen tomorrow, we've just got to be patient.

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds