Skip to main content

Information about the future of the Forum

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #154521 by
Hi bparo .. there may be the so called "keyboard warrior" and their derivative, but what about the gentle person who loves the content of any particular heading and wants to just see the status quo remain?...who will fight for them?..

...i could certainly see quite a few forum members upset, and to a lesser degree insulted, if one of their most favourite topics here, which they contribute to frequently.... is chopped off...basically by a noisy minority...

...some of us should fight for the status quo, and a more sensible way to see if the heading is valuable is to go by the views in that heading of the certain topics....that is your real indicator...not feedback or votes...cheers mate

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #154522 by Southbound
Thanks for all your hard work on here BP.
Glad to hear that the HCVC forum "won't die". I enjoy most of the posts posted. I get a buzz reading a Q about some unusual Truck/Tractor/Oil lamp that won't start or has some bits missing, then Old Mate comes on and gives an indepth answer to the problem. That is why this forum won't die. Genuine enthuisists.
Cheers Ross

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
9 years 1 month ago #154523 by bparo
I agree and will be taking a screen dump showing the category headings and number of posts in each to present to the committee at the next meeting.

However some people argue that it is those who choose to respond that care and should have the say as the others don't care. I have seen that used in my professional career usually to the detriment of what people are trying to achieve - eg a bank I worked at did an internet banking survey. The response was mainly geeks or people that didn't like the bank, no matter what they did. The changes made their website and internet banking unusable. The same happened at Australia Post when some of the powers that be want to replace keyboards on the post shop counters with touch screens - the opinion of those who had to use them didn't count - until the union stepped in. And the union was right this time - it would have slowed transactions and reduced customer service

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #154524 by Dave_64
Thanks, Bparo for the update, makes pretty good sense to me!

I tend to agree with 'Tective on his point about judging a post on how popular it is by the amount of visits/replies.

Personal opinion for what it's worth, you guys are all doing a great job.

Cheers, Dave

9 years 3 weeks ago #154525 by
Disappointing today when I opened up the monitor and to not find any reference to the feedback. So looks like it will be at least another month before the non computer people can have there say in any matters relating to the Monitor, yearbook, website or forum.

9 years 3 weeks ago #154526 by
Yes TREV saw that too but I wonder if we will ever see the final feedback results here or in the monitor . Dave

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #154527 by bparo
It's up to the committee to decide what to publish of the information.

Personally I think they should publish a summary of the final responses with a list of headings and X% for Y% against.

The original comments should be taken as input and discussed at a committee level. People were promised that none of the committee would know who said what so the same standards should apply. This is to protect the person who gave the feedback as the last thing we want is someone running around putting names to comments after anonymity was promised.

I also know the editor has some heavy family pressures at the moment which is eating into his time and why there are comments for a new editor in The Monitor- he needs to step down for a while. I think it was an inadvertent slip not a deliberate action.

It leads to an interesting question. The feedback has only been asked for via email so unless some mechanism has been set up via the club's mailbox there is no way for non-computer people to have their say on the yearbook or Monitor (as they will not have seen the web page or the forum)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #154528 by rusty russ
will get a mention in the next Monitor. sorry i over looked this
results will be published.
Rusty

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds