WotSayU?

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #35402 by
Replied by on topic Re: How About
It makes a lot of sense to me, Swish, to have that info. Saves having to ask a lot of unnecessary questions. However .. it doesn't get around the fact that a few devious forum members will put up locations that aren't correct, for their own deceptive reasons .. so I dunno how you get around the devious members.

I do know that many computer programs and websites can log your location from your computers IP address (this is how some websites you log onto, will tell you there's girls in your area, looking for dates! - and give you nearby locations!) .. but I don't know that many of the forum programs, are that sophisticated. Having a forum program that warns users that their location is logged (as I have come across, on a few websites), is one way of trying to eliminate fibs.

Maybe more importantly .. there are any number of people who travel a lot, and often log in from areas a long way from home.
This can be confusing to forum members, who might think a person looking for parts is a long way away, when they are currently just up the road, and happy to freight items!
One forum member from QLD who has asked me questions in PM's, apparently moves between Perth and QLD on a regular basis. So .. the answer to the question isn't as simple as it first appears.

More
13 years 6 months ago #35403 by cobba
Replied by cobba on topic Re: How About
I'm with you swishy. it makes things a heap easier if I know where the person is located before I make a comment on there post.
Chances are I might have something that could help but they are so far away and the part is reasonably easy to source that there's no point even making a post on it, know what I mean.
I might have a starter motor to fit an inter 6 but the effort and freight to get it to Kalgoolie (or wherever they are) make it unviable, yet there could be someone very close by that might know of one sitting in a dead truck in his neighbours paddock that would fix it no worries.

As for existing members with ulterior motives, well that's there business if they want to be deceptive, and I would hope there's not too many that work that way, but I can't see a new member having any reason to hide their true location, especially if they are looking for, or wanting to part with something of value, which seems to be a far few of the people that drop in never to be seen again types we get here.

Just my 50c.

Cheers. Cobba.

13 years 6 months ago #35404 by
Hey if you dont know where I'm from then you pay much attention do you . Dave ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #35405 by
Hi Swishy,

Check out my location as in my signature.
I hope its useful. ;)

Cheers
RS :)

13 years 6 months ago #35406 by
Hi RS, I see you are just around the crn from Swishy"s joint. ;D ;D ;D ;D. Dave

More
13 years 6 months ago #35407 by Old AB
Replied by Old AB on topic Re: How About
Good idea Swishy... Am working away from home at the moment, but it still tells you my home area... Thats good enough for me.. ;)

Keep old inters alive.

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #35408 by
Agree with the idea swishy.

However we are limited to the software that drives the forum and what it provides. I will have a look into it. But unsure of what I can do at the moment.

onetrack we do log all the IP's when posting a message to the forum for auditing and logging purposes only.

At this stage I think the best thing is for members to ensure they fill in the details as specific or as general as they wish. Then their is no possible issues of privacy concerns.

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds