Skip to main content

bedford 466

More
12 years 6 months ago #64021 by tedwink
bedford 466 was created by tedwink
Ihave atwin steer bedford bus with a 466 diesel can anyone tell me what pound radiator cap i need ,old one has worn away i would much appreciate this ted

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #64022 by
Replied by on topic Re: bedford 466
Ted, the VAL coach with the 466 should have a standard bayonet style recovery cap, common to most vehicles of that era.

This cap should measure 58.93mm in width across the top of the cap, and be 38mm high overall.
This is what Tridon refer to as a CA series cap, and the catalogues say it's a 7lb cap, with the following P/No's ..

Tridon - CA3607
CPC - 536-07
Pro-Kit - 636-07

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Ron.

12 years 6 months ago #64023 by
Be aware that the CPC part number 536-07 is a coolant recovery cap. I wouldn't have thought that would be corect unless running an over flow. I would have thought that a non recovery cap would be correct so that would mean the 507-07.

Have a look at cpcauto.com.au pretty good for looking up the correct caps.

12 years 6 months ago #64024 by
Hi Ted,

Welcome and I had a a 466 Bedford tray truck and from memorey it had a hose going down to a recovery bottle but it didnt work very well so one that one track says sounds right . Dave

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #64025 by
I'm not sure of the year of Ted's VAL coach, but Bedford & GMH started fitting coolant recovery systems to their products in the late 1960's.
Tridon don't even make a non-recovery cap anymore. They insist you're far better off to install a coolant overflow bottle with a recovery cap, as no coolant is wasted then .. as happens with non-recovery systems, particularly when an engine is working at a high temperature during Summer.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #64026 by
Now Tridon are trying to make me look like a complete fool. I have 2 Tridon catalogues, 1999 & 2003, and neither mention any non-recovery cap, nor one lower than 7 psi.

Now, I look up the Tridon website, and I find they have ..

1. Totally different part numbers to the printed catalogue??
2. Totally different part numbers for Noo Zulland (I knew they talked a bit differently, but having separate and simpler P/No's for them, is going a bit far, isn't it??) ;D
3. Tridon list non-recovery caps, as well as recovery caps! ::)
4. They also list caps as low as 4 psi! - that are not in the printed catalogue!

No wonder half the parts blokes are a bit nuts?? :D
One can only conclude that their part numbers and products listings, change on a daily or weekly basis!

www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=8&S=35&G=484&P=2017

Ted - The pressure rating of the radiator cap you use is only relevant to what your cooling system can tolerate.
Radiator pressures have increased over the decades to allow engines to run hotter without boiling over, when engines operate at around boiling point or a little over.
There's no problem with fitting a 10lb or 14lb cap to an older vehicle, that might have been 7lb originally, because that will assist in reducing the chance of coolant loss by boiling.

However .. old hoses and old radiators become weakened with age, and leaks may start if a higher pressure cap than the original is used.
It's really a personal choice as to what pressure cap you choose to use.
The important factors are to buy the correct style of cap that fits properly, and ensure there is no radiator neck damage that may create a poor seal and coolant loss.

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds