Skip to main content

technical library

• Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #74751 by
Replied by on topic Re: technical library
If you want to have a poll please go ahead.

But as I mentioned the forum isn't really the best place for such information from a practical point of view.

And in the end from a staffing point of view the current Forum staff do not have the time to maintain it. As it will be much more work than the current forum is at the moment.

So practically it may not be able to go ahead.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #74752 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: technical library
I reckon it's not feasable, all Onetracks comments are on the money-
It can't be done effectively. For a start, there's a myriad of tech issues that overlap, so people don't know where to put items, and they end up in the wrong area.

Secondly, you're talking about organising a bunch of volunteers. Anyone who has ever tried that, knows that it's like rounding up cats.
Everyone has their own idea, and goes off on a tangent, or gets a different idea of what is required.

Thirdly, the info needs time, lots of time, to scan and post. Only a few people have that amount of time to do that. Most people are working, trying to maintain order amongst screaming/fighting kids, organising food, shopping, fuel, parts, meetings, etc, etc, etc.
A few people will attempt to put up info, run into problems or run out of time, and it gets left.

Apart from introducing extra work for the admin.
If you want to know something just ask, it works well.

How many people track down manuals for gear, and once they have the manual, either don't have the experience to use it, or never open after the second time they have thumbed through it?

More
12 years 2 months ago #74753 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: technical library
I agree with Bigcam,
Onetracks post in reply #11 sums the situation up perfectly.
rockwiz, just do what I do. If there's some useful info in a post,Cut & paste it into a folder on your computer. Mke a list of all the relavant websites/links ect that are put up here. very soon you'll have quite an extensive library of Information that is relavant to your particular interests..

One last point. The HCVC who own & run this great forum. Have an extensive Library of all sorts of parts/service/operators & reference books & manuals, as well as magazines ect.
All available for HCVC Members to borrow.

i personaly think that EVERY forum member with a post count of 30 or higher, should put their hand in there pocket & pony up $60 and Join the HCVC.
Quite frankly I think this Forum is a great asset to the Old vehicle:Restoraion/preservation & appreciation Movement / community. $60 is a small price to pay,In My opinion.
After all if the Club had a couple hundred extra members, It just might then have the resources to do something like rockwiz is suggesting.

just My 2c worth.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
12 years 2 months ago #74754 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: technical library
and hopefully once the newly-purchased (but not yet settled) club rooms are set up more accessible.

The Library is currently mainly in boxes in a shed which makes finding things a little bit difficult. One of the plans in the new clubrooms is to but the library on shelves in a preferably lockable room.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74755 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: technical library
Most members are prepared to share their tech libraries on here and by doing so probably help other members increase their 'digital' tech libraries. What we effectively have is a large number of storage areas (member's houses/workshops) and a central 'reading area' (the forum). As long as members are prepared to share what they have - and in the old truck world sharing resources is one of the greatest things about this hobby - I don't think we need our own central database.

I can see the point of having the resource though. However asking the question and getting a response is more than likely going to help more than just the person asking the question. The question and answer may not have occurred to some people and they may suddenly realise they could face the same problem. If they don't know, though, how are they going to search a database for it?

About the only compromise I can see is setting up a techincial section where all members are free to post scans of their manuals (within strict thread title rules). They are responsible for hosting the scans on photobucket (we more or less do this already so...). Alternatively, we could have a "list your manuals here" area. In my case my 10 or so manuals wold be easy to list but I'm sure there are many members who have piles and piles of them.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
12 years 2 months ago #74756 by bigcam

About the only compromise I can see is setting up a techincial section where all members are free to post scans of their manuals (within strict thread title rules). They are responsible for hosting the scans on photobucket (we more or less do this already so...). Alternatively, we could have a "list your manuals here" area. In my case my 10 or so manuals wold be easy to list but I'm sure there are many members who have piles and piles of them.

Andy there could be some definate copywrite issues with that.

• Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #74757 by
Yeh, guys and Haysed,
Didn't know the HCVC even had a library of technical information a paid up member could borrow from, no one told me when I first posted, all I got was bagged for owning a cabover Kenworth, Yeh I have a vast amount of information on my computer which I've downloaded from the web, "thats obvious", but I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about all of us uploading information so others can share this. I doubt about copyright on stuff which is 30 years +
I'm not asking for you to do this overnight but could be gradually done over time.
So basically what you are all saying is it comes down to money.
Fair enough.
Thanks for your time
Geoff

More
12 years 2 months ago #74758 by bigcam
Geoff, scan a Cummins/Detriot Diesel/Caterpillar work shop manual and put it on the internet, I think you'll get a reaction. It's a subject that at least one bloke I know has first hand knowledge of. You may get away with a page here or there to help someone out, but they are quite protective of keeping the ability to sell thier own intellectual property in the form of a manual.

• Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #74759 by
Hi Bigcam,
Yeh your probably right, you get sued for having a sneeze these days.
Funny how you could walk up to Cummins and asked for information on older engines
(i did) and they tell you sorry mate we've got nothing for you, then they get shirty when the next guy wants to supply remanufactured stuff for their obsolete gear, talk about both ways.
My idea was just trying to help others.Thanks Bigcam.
Geoff

• Topic Author
12 years 2 months ago #74760 by
Copyright for paper items appears to be authors death plus 50 - 70 years!

Any document where the owner can't be ascertained it is 50 - 70 years from published.

Refer www.copyright.org.au/admin/cms-acc1/_ima...9304f39aff399393.pdf

Also refer to www.copyright.org.au/

Time to create page: 0.574 seconds