Skip to main content

Hot rods

More
11 years 7 months ago #91110 by Borris
Hot rods was created by Borris
Hi All
Well after looking at the AS110 restoration ????? and asking a qestion on what is left of the AS110 I felt I had done some thing wrong after the replys BUT I was not wrong if you like Hot rods then can the HCVC forum make a section for the Hot rods so I do not have to see them
As it was pointed out to me it was his money and his truck, and you know you are right but it is the same to me if you send it to china or hot rod it it is still lost and it will never be a AS110 or bedford or any thing but a rod
Regards
Borris

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 7 months ago #91111 by
Replied by on topic Re: Hot rods
Essentially I have to agree with BigCam's response to your previous post.

And you have every right to express an opinion.

But so has everyone else got every right to restore (or hot rod) or not to restore their truck as they see fit.

It would certainly be a boring hobby if everyone restored things to the same standard! It is one of the things I personally enjoy about the commercial vehicle scene. You could have a Barn find truck next to a farmers pride and joy next to a fully restored ground up resto!

Everyone has a different view / definition of what is a restoration.

I will be happy to hear from others what they think about a hot rod section. But I for one do not think we should have one as we would then have to police what is posted to that section to ensure that they are commercial vehicles and so on. In the end they have recovered an old commercial vehicle and they are bringing it back to a standard that can be driven on the road again. It to my mind a restoration. Yes it will have many components that are not original. But how many trucks on the road are there that have the original running gear etc any way?

More
11 years 7 months ago #91112 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Hot rods
Borris, an origonal Bedford may make you happy, and that is what it is all about. Restoration is not something that is a public service. We all do it to keep ourselves happy. The money you spend on your resto could easily be seen to be better spent on a charity (or about a thousand other things probobly according to your missus). So you have an origonal Bedford that you are happy tinkering away with and have a bit of fun tracking down some hard to get bits, and quite a lot of us on the forum (including myself) find it very interesting.

Pete, on the other hand has a different idea about his resto/hot rod. To me it'll still look like a 110 (and I also own an origonal AR 110) but it'll be a hot rod. There are a still probobly just as many of us interested in checking out Pete's work as there are looking at what you have done. Everyone to there own.

Another question, what is a hot rod? I own a Diamond Reo, at a guess I'd say it came out with a petrol engine 5 X 4 gear box and 30,000 lb diffs. It now has a 6V53 GM (I like the sound they make) 15 overdrive roadranger and it's a single drive. All these changes mostly have been made in it's working life (except the single drive), and where popular modifications, is this truck a hot rod? I know it sounds like one. LOL.

When the subject of "Why don't we have another catagory" comes up, what for? Pete's 110 is a resto of sorts why can't that be in the resto section? Then all the catagories have to be "policed" to a certain extent. The less catagories the better.

Everyone to there own, just skip reading the post if it doesn't excite you, and sleep happy with the thoughts that we are all different.

More
11 years 7 months ago #91113 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: Hot rods
Ya, over a 20 - 40 year working life, there may not be much "original" left in a working truck beyond the basic shape. Some mods would of course be to make the thing more suited to the work required of it and some would no doubt be for economy, safety or just "a bit of tarting up".

I dont think museum level restorations are a manditory requirement for what these pages are about.

From conversations ive had, most of those pre 1970's trucks were pretty rotten things to drive for a living and as to their mechanical reliability (British and American both), the less said the better.

I am personally more intersted in (anything but English) late 40's to 70's light trucks (under 5,000 kg in stones, ctw or lbs) but that doesn't stop me happily reading about restored, preserved or returned to service desert rig tenders, heavy haul specials, line haulers, ex military, local delivery or historic vehicles. They all did mighty good work in their day.

Its also intersting to hear the stories and recolections of the blokes who drove them (contemporary history).

Watching the evolution of a restoration is educational and fun and shareing the joy of unearthing the barn find, how good is that?

As for rodding, ive got a few issues with the guys that take perfectly fine classics and turn them into street cars with unlimited horse power, crazy (to my eye) mods and million dollar paint jobs, why bother? But hey, its their car, their money, their vision and if they can get it engineered and registered, go for it. However full on competition, show cars and rat rods are in class of their own. (yum.) Cars with steel bumpers is a pretty good class division too.

Modern suspension, running gear and power train under a cosmetically unrestored commercial vehicle would be more to my personal likeing (rusto's) but would that be considerd a hot rod by some and see me banished from these pages? Even if it looked like an all original barn find ?

To each their own, let us each follow our own trucking vision. But dammed if im gonna limit myself to 6 volt electrics, solid tyres, leather gaskets, chain drive rear axles, wooden cabins or spoked wheels.

Lighten up. Have fun, run what ya brung and enjoy your ride.

-b

Mucking about on the edge

More
11 years 7 months ago #91114 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Hot rods

Watching the evolution of a restoration is educational and fun and shareing the joy of unearthing the barn find, how good is that?
Modern suspension, running gear and power train under a cosmetically unrestored commercial vehicle would be more to my personal likeing (rusto's) but would that be considerd a hot rod by some and see me banished from these pages? Even if it looked like an all original barn find ?

To each their own, let us each follow our own trucking vision. But dammed if im gonna limit myself to 6 volt electrics, solid tyres, leather gaskets, chain drive rear axles, wooden cabins or spoked wheels.

Lighten up. Have fun, run what ya brung and enjoy your ride.

-b

Hey Bob, when you do your Rustoration, make sure you put plenty of pics up on here for us all please.

More
11 years 7 months ago #91115 by Bobsboy
Oh ya.

Photo pic's all around, that would be part of the fun.

Sadly though, its all pit raceing for now as I have no garage, work shop or yard. But, being of a certain vintage myself, I could, if I went TOTALY mad, find sufficient funds to do something stupid that to my bent and ragged mind, would be suprising, unusual different, nice, nice, different, fun and with some luck, cool. (Well it would be cool to me!)

I nearly wet myself over a recently spotted "'46 Chevy tray (?)" derelict. (steady bobsboy, steady).

At least this game has a begining, middle and end. If I did commit myself (silly bugger) I would, in the end have something to show for my effort, even if i flogged it off as an unfinished project.

Unlike sailing (sigh) which I observed as a youthful member of crew, to be the skippers infinite money pit. (You know, a hole in the ocean that you try to fill by throwing $50 notes into? forever?)

All that being said, I suppose what i'm really waiting to pounce on (as I read these pages) is to find;

1) An irresistably something to buy and make happen.
or
2) Someone in Adelaide with a garage/ workshop and current project that i can offside for and get a true, ungilded picture of vehicle restoration and some hands on experience.

(Ahem, hello out there, free labour? any takers? Adelaide?)

Anyway bigcam, thanks for the kind words, I could have been in line for a roast, you know, being a newbie and all.

Cheers,
-b

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #91116 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Hot rods

BoBsBoy
Gudday M8

RE: (2)

U'll B need n to roneo these off

n nail up on each St cnr

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Swishy.

More
11 years 7 months ago #91117 by brisbeddy
Replied by brisbeddy on topic Re: Hot rods
HELLO THERE BOBSBOY

I would love to take the Offer, ALAS I am in Brisbane, I would even make it my Business to find the Workshop.

If You move to Brissy give me a call PLEEEASE
Cheers
Dieter

It sucks to get old and decrepit !

More
11 years 7 months ago #91118 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Re: Hot rods

... well ... I'm only a little way out of Adelaide ... not quite 200 ;D

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
11 years 7 months ago #91119 by Bobsboy
Ho ho look at that Swishy,

Two! Brissy and Wakerie. Gettin' close.

Thanks brisbeddy & Eddy, maybe my idea does have merit?

It's a dinkum offer guys.
-b

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds