Skip to main content

Need a Cline roadranger bellhouseing

More
6 years 10 months ago #182816 by JOHN.K.
Here s a trick for cutting the taper hole,; grind an old file to the taper reqd,back off the edges for clearance ,stone the cutting edges,sandwich the file between two half cones of hard wood( carved to fit the taper).Turn slowly in a big drill press.The wood steadies the cut and prevents chatter.This is an old time machinists trick that every fitter should know.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #182819 by Blackduck59
If you have a hydraulic system and onboard air these little units make for a VERY light clutch

This one has a 90mm diaphragm but there are other sizes.
RTO610 with clutch from a GM Inter
In fact it is that light I am considering adding a restrictor in the hydraulic line to slow the release
Cheers Steve
Attachments:

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #182874 by wedgetail84

JOHN.K. wrote: Should be simple,except you will probably have to fabricate a crossmember at the front of gearbox to replace the IH one.You cant mount the motor higher,cause it hits the floor,unless you jack the cab up.As for the motor and gearbox,both No 2 sae housings,push or pull clutch,all the bits from Truckline or Gleemans.The configuration of the flywheel will fix the clutch,preferably it comes with the motor.I like the old R190/ADB 184/Cummins 160 mount,being the aforementioned tapered bolt type.I have one that came from a IH halftrack,with 386 motor,heavy ,but near identical to the Cummins setup.

The front crossmember is so I don't have to raise the motor? Was considering a small lift to fit 11R22.5s but not sure if I need it yet. Still have the no3 housing and industrial flywheel - have no2 housing but need to find someone to swap flywheels and get a clutch off... My uncle has a RR I'm doing a deal for - size wise I'm sure it's a 6 series but no tags or anything so not sure exactly what it is but assumings it's no2 too. It's out of an ACCO (1950 I think) so will need a shift tower eventually. Haven't done the motor up yet just gearing up now so it's a little way off - just doing my research into what is needed. Why do you like previously mentioned mount over the 4 bolt pad ones? Never heard of a 386 motor - did they even use SAE in the half track days? Like the file trick though, will file that one away...

Blackduck that looks a nice set up - bet it feels pretty good. What did the unit set you back? Have the same sort of thing on the N12 at work and it's a very nice clutch to use. Heaps better than the pig of an air clutch in the GH Hino anyway. Is a single disc no2 clutch with direct linkage C line style a bit heavy then?
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #182881 by JOHN.K.
Sorry,brain fade,the White was a 386 (160 A)? Inter had the 361,same as the K8.Is you V6 a no3?The inlines had# 3s,but I thought the Vs had# 2s.A #3 housing for a RT610 will be hard to find.I like the Inter setup cause you can easily use a strip of flat rubber to make the mounts.They also make installing the motor/box very easy.Just drop into the saddles.These days you are lucky to get more than scrap price for an old RR.A single plate 14" clutch doesnt need a booster if the linkage is properly set up.The gearstick/tower from a 5speed T53 will fit a RR,as will just about any Fuller .
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #182889 by wedgetail84
I see what you mean about the mounts being nice to use, sounds like they're so hard to find it might not be worth it though... especially if my uncle's already has a housing! Although if not are you saying yours is available or are you saving it for a rainy day?

Very interesting about the t53/ road ranger shift tower... is that any road ranger or just 6 series? I was trying to help my uncle find a top plate and shifter for a t54 of his for over a year and never came up with anything - no one suggested a road ranger top! He still has that topless (but rebuilt) t54, maybe I'll revisit it. How do you reckon a t54 would go behind a 6v53t? Ratios aside... Or know of any RTO6610 in Good working order going for scrap price? :D
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
6 years 10 months ago #182892 by JOHN.K.
Not the top,just the lever and four bolt socket.I would be happy to use a T53/T54 behind a 6/53,there should be plenty of good ones about,they are fitted to the Army 6x6 Accos.,and theres plenty of rusted accos about.Any Fuller gearstick and tower will fit any RR of my time,the pre war ones had a trigger for reverse,need to remove the sleeve ,then its ok.In fact when I took a prewar Fuller stick and tower to truckline,the parts man thought it was from an odd RR,cause the gearstick is a forged beam section,not round.As for scrap price,I scrapped a whole semi load of old boxes,and the semi as well cause the council insisted.You either get money for scrap,or a massive bill from the council when they move in and clean up.No brainer really.

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds