Skip to main content

CAV diesel injector pump on a 466 Bedford diesel

More
14 years 7 months ago #14233 by Colin
Hi! I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I would have a problem taking the nylon filter out of the inlet of the CAV rotory injector pump to check if it is blocked???.
It says in the workshop book to be careful not to disturb the springs.
I have never had a pump to pieces and can't find an exploded view of a CAV.
I have been told a kit for this pump costs about $70, but to take it to a diesel mechanic could cost anything up to $2,000. Iv'e also been told that if I an careful i could fit a new kit easy enough.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
Colin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 7 months ago #14234 by Swishy

Coln
GuddayM8

I no nutn about diesel fuel pumps etc
but when I've seen m work on m
they do m in an air tight room with no dust present etc
also have seen m assembled sunmerged in diesel to cut down any dust
so ifn u go n $70 way
I'd make sure her in doors has your blessing so it can all B dun on the kitchen table

If n U get my drift

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected

BestOluck

LOL

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 7 months ago #14235 by paul404
swishy mate, i know its sunday arvo, but wtf?? :D :) :)

More
14 years 7 months ago #14236 by Colin
Swishy, thanks for the reply. I have been using Donaldson fuel filters and the diesel lifts the paint off the bottom inside of the filter. I am a bit concerned that paint will get through and block the final little nylon filter before the CAV.
Colin

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 7 months ago #14237 by Swishy

Paul
GuddayM8
LOL
:D
Jist try n to get Coln on the right side of SWMBO
LOL

Haz U tried these
www.realdiesel.com/dpapump.html
www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Injection/Fuel1.htm

LOL

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 7 months ago #14238 by bigcam
Hi Colin,Whats the motor doing wrong?if that nylon filter is partially blocked,it will probobly idle all right,but when you put a load on it it will starve and the motor will drop in revs and lose power.If the motor isn`t doing anything wrong and your only worried about it being blocked,leave it alone.Even if the piant has come off the CAV filter,the filter may well have caught it anyway.

More
14 years 7 months ago #14239 by Colin
Bigcam, That is exactly what happens, I am cruising along and the engine slows for a few seconds and the picks up again. It has three filters and a water seperator in the fuel line which I change regularly, but I have never been game to look at the little nylon filter on the end of the pump. I think I just might have to get a real diesel mech. to do it for me. I just don't trust it, and I don't want to stop on the H/way :-/
Thankyou, Colin

More
14 years 7 months ago #14240 by paul404
colin mate. check your fuel tank breather first. if its blocked that can cause that problem. you should be able to take the nylon filter in the end of the pump out and clean/ inspect it. is it located under a banjo fitting or screwed into the housing?

More
14 years 7 months ago #14241 by bigcam
Has it always had the 3 filters in the line?Those things usually only have one or two.If your lift pump is getting a bit lazy it might be struggling to suck it through 3 filters.If you`ve got an old electric fuel pump lying around you can also try whacking that in the circuit,it won`t help if it`s got a blockage though.You may be better off with one decent filter and getting rid of those PIA CAV filters,put a filter housing off a Cummins on it,mount it so it`s above the fuel pump.You can get the Cummins filters with a water trap in them,and if they`ll flow enough for 400 hp,they`ll do your Bedford,and you can buy filters just about anywhere.

I think you`ll find Paul is right,if you take the banjo fitting off the lift pump you can probobly at least see it,make sure you don`t lose the copper washers.Have you priced a new lift pump?it will come with the strainer.

More
14 years 7 months ago #14242 by Colin
Thanks guys, from the tank it has the water seperator, then an extra CAV type filter with a glass bottom, then the lift pump which is new only been on a month or so. Then the original double filter (cav type) which is mounted on the engine. Then the line to the CAV injector pump.(which has the nylon filter)
What is happening is exactly what happens when a tank vent is blocked. Don't know I didn't think of that. I will check that first, because the problem starts after doing about 100k. I have always got home, but at a slower speed. I will check the vent , then have a go at the nylon filter, and let you know the result.
Thank you all, Colin

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds