Skip to main content

GPS Speedo

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195399 by Lang
GPS Speedo was created by Lang
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI just got one of these for my 1941 Dodge truck. They are very well made and standard hole size for many older vehicles (easily adaptable by enlarging hole or using a backing plate on big holes). They are self-contained with their own small aerial.

They come in several colours and can also be bought with dials that go to 200kph for the blokes with Fodens, AEC's etc.

I think it is a wonderfully cheap, easy and very accurate way to get a working speedo in any older vehicle.

Lang

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Gryphon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195400 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic GPS Speedo
The only thing they don't work in tunnels are give strange readings

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195401 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic GPS Speedo
Geoff

I have had a similar speedo for years except it is digital readout which does not look kosher in an old vehicle. It has never given anything but perfect readings (at least when I am looking at it). As you say, they certainly won't work in tunnels but for the 0.0001% of the time the Australian fleet spends there each day I reckon it is a small inconvenience to follow along with the traffic flow relying on them for guidance while underground.

If you are worried about it, most trucks have a tacho and you could put a small mark on that to indicate say 60, 80 and 100 in whatever gear you would normally use for that speed.

Just seems to be a good way to solve what is often one of the hardest restoration problems of finding replacement drives, cables and working speedos. Even without changes to tyres or drive ratios it is vastly more accurate in all circumstances - except tunnels!

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195402 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic GPS Speedo
All our tunnels in NSW contain speed cameras.

Just the place to have an accurate speedo.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195406 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic GPS Speedo
Lang
Tunnels don't worry me The reason i went with the Gps had 2 cables in the White break and the cost to get the first made was have the cost of the Gps so was an easy decision

More
5 years 8 months ago #195417 by Lang
Geoff

Are you happy with it generally? I have not tried mine out yet and having a digital predecessor I was annoyed by the continuously changing numbers. Hoping for a more conventional smooth rotating read-out.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195418 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic GPS Speedo
Cable costs are why I went with a VDO electronic ( exactly the same as the black one on the right)
Got lucky and scored a new old stock unit.
Cheers Steve
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Blackduck59.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195419 by Lang
Steve

I have that excellent unit on my OKA but not a simple replacement for a cable speedo as it requires a sender, normally rigged up on the tail shaft with brackets and rotating triggers.

Good for tyre changes with the little levers on the back to correct errors but expensive and complicated. You had a win with yours but there is normally no change out of $500 for the unit and sender retail then you have to come up with some rotating system, sender brackets, and wiring. You could buy 7 GPS units for the same cost and a fraction of the work.

But it does work in tunnels!

The GPS unit only needs the tiny aerial thrown up on the dash or stuck to the bottom of the windscreen fully self-contained.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195420 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic GPS Speedo
This is full electronic, no DIP switches but does have a sender that attaches where the normal cable would
Think Dave 64 has the same, you just need to calc the pulses required and enter them into the unit from the front.
But I also have a GPS that I normally drive to, like really skimming the speed limits.

They are priced well, do they have a trip meter function? Did not see that in the spec's

Cheers Steve
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Blackduck59.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195421 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic GPS Speedo
How can you bloke drive like that, without the thrill of the needle bouncing wildly between 15 mph and 75 mph, and doing the mental arithmetic plus or minus a gear change in a school zone on a Sunday. :woohoo:

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.582 seconds